ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-13-2012   #41
scottfab

Default Re: New option for fuel pump replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
My other astute observation is that you seem to argue about stuff just for the sake of arguing. There's no evidence thus far that this modification is in any way compromising the reliability of the fuel delivery system.

I've been driving my ZR-1 daily for ~2 years, 11K miles, with this mod, with no problems. I pulled the assembly out about 3k miles ago and everything looked as it did the day I installed it.

I take exception to your assertion. Here is my counter to that allegation.
It goes like this. I worry about the other members buying into things hook line and sinker. Look carefully at my other posts. Example, when I read advice that says to bypass safety devices like the clutch switch I remind people about the purpose of the device.Or when it comes to ripping out the secondary actuators I might point out that you can't lower the power to let you son use the car......... Likewise if I see untested and potentially damaging mods I point out the possible down side. I don't see that as argumentative. I see that as being conscientious.
On the mod under discussion, I was obviously wrong and I stated as much. However the data about how long this mod has been tested was not presented until very late.

I will assert that if anyone presented something that was "argumentative" it was you. Your snide remark about "gun to your head...:" was unnecessary. Your second "astute observation" was entirely reasonable to assert. Now if you want to continue this and flame it on be my guest. I'd rather not escalate. My intentions were in the interest of preserving the ZR-1.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #42
VetteMed

I've got no desire to escalate anything, I enjoy coming here and exchanging ideas just like I assume you do.

I suppose I can see your point, given the example of the clutch switch.

However, I do object to the idea that this thread was started in order to make anyone fall for something, as if I or anyone else is profiting from this modification. We're all adults, capable of making our own decisions about how to repair and/or modify and/or preserve our cars.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #43
scottfab

Quote:
I've got no desire to escalate anything, I enjoy coming here and exchanging ideas just like I assume you do.

I suppose I can see your point, given the example of the clutch switch.

However, I do object to the idea that this thread was started in order to make anyone fall for something, as if I or anyone else is profiting from this modification. We're all adults, capable of making our own decisions about how to repair and/or modify and/or preserve our cars.
There is absolutely no assertion on my part that this thread was started to make a profit. If it was taken that way it was not my intent. It seems the thread was started to share a fix. Nothing wrong with that. I think it only prudent to point out possible disadvantages to any non cosmetic alteration that could affect reliability. I would expect the same from any member on a post I make if someone feels I've overlooked something. It's a part of exchanging ideas.

I agree totally as you say "We're all adults, capable of making our own decisions about how to repair and/or modify and/or preserve our cars."
I also think we're adult enough to know when a comment is constructive and when one steps over the line.

Now back to the car. I will be practicing what I preach shortly and take in all concerns etc. I may soon be posting on retro fit for the vacuum actuator with an electric solenoid mounted (hopefully) in the same location as the pump is. I designed this in 2002 but at the time had to button up the plenum for a trip. Secondaries have worked fine for these 10 years until this week. If the problem is under the plenum then "game on".

Old 07-13-2012   #44
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations View Post
NOTE:

AIRTEX fuel pumps suck. Lasted about a month. Lesson learned......
Well...If they don't suck...they don't work at all, Brett!!

p.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #45
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas View Post
The zip ties to put around the slotted cover to hold it tight???
That occured to me as well. However, I'm not a chemist, so I don't know the long term affect gasoline might have on a zip tie. However, a worm-type SS hose clamp might work better and not be suseptible to gas, water, alcohol, etc, yes? Just mulling here...

P.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 07-13-2012   #46
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
That occured to me as well. However, I'm not a chemist, so I don't know the long term affect gasoline might have on a zip tie. However, a worm-type SS hose clamp might work better and not be suseptible to gas, water, alcohol, etc, yes? Just mulling here...

P.
The factory used zip ties to retain the pumps in the holders, FWIW.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #47
Paul Workman

Quote:
The factory used zip ties to retain the pumps in the holders, FWIW.
Yeah, i 'spoze so. I guess I've seen plenty of brittle plastic on these cars...is what raises the question in my mind. But you're right re the zips.

P.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 07-14-2012   #48
tomtom72

Scott, I apologize. The original pumps were still in the car at 17 yrs old & 33k miles on them. They were down on output. I had a replacement Delphi(?) sender/pump assembly that I bought a long time ago from Partsladie at a good price, but had never installed it.

I saw Andrew's thread about the very premature failure of his Delphi pumps and thought would I do well to consider a swap to the same pumps he used and avoid a possible similar result with the stock replacement pumps that came with the assembly from Delphi. I just figured it would be a crap shoot, but went with the Bosch pumps on a hunch. I have to admit one thing, well two things. I was hesitant to cut up my new assembly, and I maybe off on my time in service...but not the mileage count. I could have sworn I did the pumps about 5 yrs ago, but I maybe wrong. I remember the mileage because I was getting a new set of D3's and the car broke down at the tire store. That's when I pulled the pumps and found the plastic factory clamp had split. I put an ideal clamp in it's place and have looked at the assembly in April of this year and the cut holders seem none the worse for wear. So I would say three years in service, maybe four. It's been awhile and no troubles yet though.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #49
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
...................That's when I pulled the pumps and found the plastic factory clamp had split. I put an ideal clamp in it's place and have looked at the assembly in April of this year and the cut holders seem none the worse for wear. So I would say three years in service, maybe four. It's been awhile and no troubles yet though.
Very good to know. Do you know what the fuel pressure was when installed and what it is now? I replaced mine last year with units from a mfg called "precision". They measured out at 52psi. I am tracking them for how long it takes for them to drop in the years to come.

Last edited by scottfab; 07-14-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2012   #50
tomtom72

Scott, as I change out my fuel filter every two years and I bleed off the line pressure using my gauge for that. So my gauge is attached so it's easy to test after I change the filter. I know what I'm doing is not by the book to test fuel pump psi. I go to KOEO and look at the gauge, 54 PSI is what I got this past April. I go look under to eye up the filter connections for leaks. Then I start it and she is stone cold at this point so I have time to go look again at cold idle PSI, 54 PSI this year. I go under, again, to make sure I have no leaks and as she is up on stands I don't run at more than idle speed.

I know it's not the correct way to test the pumps, but both should be running if the temp gauge is pined left. I figure if it ever gets to 50 psi then I will do a proper psi test as per the FSM. So far, knocking on wood, the Bosch pumps have done right by me.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote