ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-26-2010   #41
secondchance

Default Re: New C4 Frame Braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ View Post
So are you pretending you did not receive the information; or, are you only pretending to share the information here?

All kidding aside, there isn't much on the vette2vette web page. With my targa top off, my otherwise solid Z suddenly feels and sounds like a rattle trap. Unless I'm imagining things, with my eyes on the C4 A-pillar, my hands on the wheel and my *** on the seat it looks and feels like the front end is moving independently of the seat I'm sitting on. If I goose the accelerator in first or second gear, I can feel the steering wheel pull. With the top in place, the car is tight and does not rattle or pull.

Jeff, did you experience any of what I'm describing with the top off before the frame braces were installed? Do the frame braces only improve the situation or do they make the car feel like it did with the top in place?

Any information would be appreciated.
Scott,

My first C4 was a 84 4+7 manual with Z51 suspension. With the top off, over the railroad, I could see the steering wheel move laterally by about half an inch!
GM upgraded "K" member around 87 (I think). That reduced lateral shift by 1/8 to 1/4" - depends how bad the undulation is.
My 91 Z, I had "Corvette Master" in Casselberry, FL, take an "X" member (sort of a c channel) for convertibles and stitch weld a plate effectively creating a box member. Front of coupe has a bolt hole already (I think). For the rear, Robbie had to drop a bolt into a plate and weld the plate to the bird cage. This worked real good but added some weight.
secondchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #42
Polo-1

That's what R-D cross brace is, stronger then a stock converitble cross brace.

http://www.r-dracing.com/CROSS-FRAME.htm

I have this, it work VERY VERY well. It just hangs WAY to low to the ground. My car is lowered 1-1.5 and the cross brace can not be used for street driving.
Polo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #43
pantera1683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo-1 View Post
That's what R-D cross brace is, stronger then a stock converitble cross brace.

http://www.r-dracing.com/CROSS-FRAME.htm

I have this, it work VERY VERY well. It just hangs WAY to low to the ground. My car is lowered 1-1.5 and the cross brace can not be used for street driving.
So the cross brace is only $435 and the new frame braces will be $795. Any clearance issues with the cross brace on stock ride height cars? How much does it weigh?
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #44
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ View Post
So are you pretending you did not receive the information; or, are you only pretending to share the information here?

All kidding aside, there isn't much on the vette2vette web page. With my targa top off, my otherwise solid Z suddenly feels and sounds like a rattle trap. Unless I'm imagining things, with my eyes on the C4 A-pillar, my hands on the wheel and my *** on the seat it looks and feels like the front end is moving independently of the seat I'm sitting on. If I goose the accelerator in first or second gear, I can feel the steering wheel pull. With the top in place, the car is tight and does not rattle or pull.

Jeff, did you experience any of what I'm describing with the top off before the frame braces were installed? Do the frame braces only improve the situation or do they make the car feel like it did with the top in place?

Any information would be appreciated.
Yes, car was like a noodle before with the top off, it is better witht he brace, but I still have not been able to adjust it. As for Jacking, yes I forgot to do that.. will get to it this week,

Jason has been at Bloomington Gold this weekend, I am home afetr 3 days of the show and heat I needed a break.

I have GP pricing, which is good, but it is tiered depending on amount of people, I am going to put a webpage together for the pricing and try to get a picture of the demo he had a chunk of frame..

But I think the discount will be good if we get enough interest. just a couple more days..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #45
-=Jeff=-

Group Purchase Pricing:

http://vettextc.net/MY_ZR-1/Frame_Brace_GP.html
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 06-26-2010   #46
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Thanks for this. I'll have to email him find out what shipping will cost before I can make a determination........
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #47
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Just how does one install the C4 Frame Brace?
the OEM front location for the X brace and one bolt int he rear.. Jason will have all the instructions for mounting
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 06-27-2010   #48
pantera1683

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Thanks for this. I'll have to email him find out what shipping will cost before I can make a determination........
Count me in if the GP hits 25.
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010   #49
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Just how does one install the C4 Frame Brace?
Im having a hard time determing how this mounts as well. Any better pics avail on a lift?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010   #50
HIZNHRZ

Jeff, thanks for getting the infromation and putting together a group buy. Any chance of getting a picture or a diagram of the pieces that come with the kit?
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote