ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-26-2022   #41
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Troubleshooting AC leak before charging with R134a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette95 View Post
I saw this post last week and was going to reply a tire valve core remover will work on the a/c schrader valve but then I saw where you said you were waiting on a tool so you didn't have to remove the freon... I have never seen this, will this this go onto either the high or low port and allow you to change the schrader valve core without evacing the freon or am I misunderstanding entirely. I would like to get a set if that is how they work. I still have original r12 and r134a in both of mine and believe my low pressure valve has a super slow leak (134a). It takes about a half a pound every two years or so ( I know, worse problems to have) but more info would be appreciated!

Yes, that is exactly what it does. It?s pretty slick and I?m glad such a tool exists. Here is a video of how it works.

https://youtu.be/wkPxxUO_40Q

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 05-26-2022 at 04:36 AM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022   #42
Jagdpanzer

Default Re: Troubleshooting AC leak before charging with R134a

Clever tool
Thanks Craig for sharing.

George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022   #43
mlipmd

Question - is the high pressure Schrader valve on a '90 removable with that tool or does the whole unit containing the valve (which is screwed on to the high pressure line) need replacement as the valve cannot be separated from that?
I definitely have a leak from that valve as I can see it and hear it after I refilled the system and took the plastic cap off.
But I dropped the cap right there and damnifI can find it right there or underneath the car. I wanted to try and find a metal cap anyway, good luck with that too.
If that tool will remove the valve on my car, where's the best place to get a replacement, NAPA? My car has been converted to R134a by seeing the adapter on the accumulator tank low pressure fill port, so I assumed that high pressure Schrader was replaced as well?
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022   #44
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlipmd View Post
Question - is the high pressure Schrader valve on a '90 removable with that tool or does the whole unit containing the valve (which is screwed on to the high pressure line) need replacement as the valve cannot be separated from that?

I definitely have a leak from that valve as I can see it and hear it after I refilled the system and took the plastic cap off.

But I dropped the cap right there and damnifI can find it right there or underneath the car. I wanted to try and find a metal cap anyway, good luck with that too.

If that tool will remove the valve on my car, where's the best place to get a replacement, NAPA? My car has been converted to R134a by seeing the adapter on the accumulator tank low pressure fill port, so I assumed that high pressure Schrader was replaced as well?

I have no idea about your situation and R134 conversion on your car, but the kits that I bought had the tool and caps for both R12 and R134, high and low pressure side. No aluminum caps, but I am sure you can find those if you have to have them. My 95 came with black plastic so I was happy to replace with red and blue despite cannot screw them up since different size connection. There are better and worse tools price wise, but you get the idea from Amazon or otherwise search depending on how much you want to spend, how quick, and quality or origin of tool:

gohantee 17Pcs Air Conditioning Valve Core Kit Schrader Valve Cores Accessories A/C R12 R134a Refrigeration Valve Stem Core Rmover Tool HVAC System Seal Caps Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T2RBHR3...YMGYVSAXZ5D3TE

Lichamp Automotive AC R134A R1234YF Valve Core Remover and Installer Tool Set, for Standard and JRA Valve Core Couplers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QVF2V2R...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 05-29-2022   #45
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
Clever tool
Thanks Craig for sharing.

You are welcome Phil. It was a lifesaver for me since I don?t have a vacuum pump yet and still had Freon in my system, just low for the leak at the valve confirmed with spit lol?..

Old 05-30-2022   #46
mlipmd

I got a simple valve core removal tool because my system is totally empty and don't need that fancy one. I can grasp the 2 wings on the valve core and rotate it but it doesn't seem to unscrew, won't come up and out, even if I grasp it with a surgical forceps. I'm wondering if someone crossthreaded it when installing it, so it's now in there forever. Shouldn't that valve core be removable or does that whole assembly with the core inside unscrew from the high pressure line and is replaced as a unit with the valve core inside?
Someone give me a suggestion on how to remove the core.
If I can't get it out I either have to source the whole high pressure line or cut it and weld/braze in a new segment with a valve inline.
Old 05-30-2022   #47
mlipmd

Like I also posted on the Corvette forum -
Never mind, got it out. Google is your friend.
When all else fails, pull/push it harder, came out by pulling it with a pair of pliers, didn't seem to strip any threads, new one from O'Reilly's a perfect replacement.
Sucked out the system for about 2 hours, no leaks after 1/2 hr.+, refilled it and all is good right now.
It was 95 driving to the store today down here, not a lot of fun with no AC, but tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 06-02-2022   #48
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Does anyone know the rpm limit, if any for the compressor on while driving aggressively? I have not been brave enough to go for a 7K rpm trip with the compressor engaged. I have limited the fun to 4K rpm before shifting.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote