ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-20-2017   #41
Roadster

Default Re: Front inner fender skirt/cover removal

Ok, another decision has been made.....lol time for a re do of a panel, although I said, this was it.....not so...taking a break, then it is back to stripping the LS panel......

RS panel that was done first and the more flat finish I was looking for.....

LS panel finished yesterday and once again, got over anxious with the spray can, which resulted in a more shinny finish....

here you can really tell the difference between the RS & the LS.....and really see some shadows on the LS panel...since I already was thinking of a re do, I just left as is, going to be sanded again...

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 02-20-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017   #42
Roadster

Today's update....
Sanded the LS hoping that the re-spray will go well to eliminate the shine from the previous spray....
This is the panel sanded.....and ready for spray.....

LS panel re-sprayed.....close to the finish of the RS, have to see after fully dried....there is one spot on the outside rail that does need attention, just have too figure out how to do it right!!!

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 02-23-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2017   #43
Roadster

LS is now complete, still have some work to do on the area to the left of the panel. Too shinny, needs to be toned down.....
Will have more detailed pics on the right side....had to elongate the depressions more so the u-nuts would fit correctly. So far so good, all I was looking for was a clean look compared to what it looked like before....I am happy with the results....

Before pic.....when first started the job...

After pic, installed and much better than before...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 02-24-2017   #44
george1945

We are replacing all the weather stripping on the 90, replacing the lower radiator support and air dam and using this thread to detail the under hood area. This really came out nice. Thanks for the thread and pictures.
george1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017   #45
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by george1945 View Post
We are replacing all the weather stripping on the 90, replacing the lower radiator support and air dam and using this thread to detail the under hood area. This really came out nice. Thanks for the thread and pictures.
Thanks for the compliment. Glad that you can use this thread as a reference. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them the best that I can. It did take me a lot of time with the procedure that I used. You may find some other way(s) to accomplish the same results, if indeed you panels need refinishing.
I found that the Rust-Oleum 2X for Plastics (flat black) ended up giving me the exact finish I was looking for compared to the Krylon Fusion for Plastics (satin) paint. You do not need to do any "heavy" wet coats, as that will produce a very shinny finish, just what I didn't want....did many stripping and re sprays on both panels, because I got over anxious with the spray can.....lol
Just nice even coats with drying time in between and they will turn out fine.

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 02-25-2017   #46
WVZR-1

I believe the HEX does well - if a person wanted they could of course spend the additional to do the T30 M6.3-1.81X25 used for the earlier years. The spinning washer on the bolt is a must if you're refinishing I'd think. No spinning washer and the bolt twists the finish from the panel.

I've seen many C4 cars missing the hardware (vibration/fallout) the HEX is a less expensive to replace option OR you borrow a T30 from elsewhere and use the HEX to replace the borrowed.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017   #47
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I believe the HEX does well - if a person wanted they could of course spend the additional to do the T30 M6.3-1.81X25 used for the earlier years. The spinning washer on the bolt is a must if you're refinishing I'd think. No spinning washer and the bolt twists the finish from the panel.

I've seen many C4 cars missing the hardware (vibration/fallout) the HEX is a less expensive to replace option OR you borrow a T30 from elsewhere and use the HEX to replace the borrowed.
They worked out very well, I like the hex.....thanks again for the recommendation.......
Sent you a PM.......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 02-25-2017   #48
Roadster

RS finished.....wrapped up everything this afternoon....the underside of the hood will need a redo, but that is for another time.....cleaned up tools, wiped down the hood and went for a ride before the rain!!!
It feels good to have secondaries.........

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 02-25-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2017   #49
George45

Great pictures. We started out on the 90 today. But started with the weather stripping. Got the front and rear roof pieces off. Looks like we must have had two glue sniffers doing the factory install.we managed to get only one or two pieces longer than an inch to come up.I don't believe it would have ever leaked. Used plenty of adhesive remover and a lot of elbow grease to get the tracks cleaned up.Should take another hour to finish the first part.
George45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017   #50
Roadster

Thanks, appreciated....
Always good to make progress....keep us posted on the weatherstrip. I will have to replace some of mine in the future.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member