Default Re: Rehab of the 1992 Blk on Blk

Real nice job Demp's

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016   #33
oricale

Finished up the Rubber and Dyna-matting!..

So for the interior and underside, after the repair to the fiberglass, we:

*sanded and rubberized the underside and Dyna-matted floor joint.
*Removed the compromised joint glue, and re-glued with a black silicone bonding agent(that goop on the right floorboard is OEM...not me)
*Topside was sanded, rubberized the entire floorboard and trans tunnel
*Re-sealed the manual boot ring with the black silicone
*Dyna-matted the floor boards
*Installed a new center console frame

Next up is pulling the dash and installing the Chrome engine.

[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*

Last edited by oricale; 02-15-2016 at 08:58 AM.
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016   #34
oricale

Default Re: Rehab of the 1992 Blk on Blk (Updated investigation)

SO after much interest, The cause of the fire seem to be the VSS, which ether shorted and caught fire or leaked and caught fire. (The 92' that had the same issue had the same type of VSS and was burned in the Exact same area), then once it caught fire it melted/burned the rubber boot around the lower shifter causing the fiberglass damage, as well as traveled up the harness to burn the fwd areas just under the front of the tunnel, until the fire was put out with must have been the entire amount of halon powder allowed in texas.

SOO..I realize it may be a very small portion of vehicles to have this issue ,..however to alleviate any issue that may arise,

To those who still have stock manifolds,..I would recommend:

*Checking the wires(VSS,Reverse lockout ect) to make sure they are not fraying, touching the exhaust,melted ect.
*Put a simple fire barrier in the trans tunnel(dyna-mat, fyre barrier ect)
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

Last edited by oricale; 02-14-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2016   #35
bdw18_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricale View Post
SO after much interest, The cause of the fire seem to be the VSS, which ether shorted and caught fire or leaked and caught fire. The 92' that had the same issue had the same type of VSS and was burned in the Exact same area, then once it caught fire it melted/burned the rubber boot around the lower shifter causing the fiberglass damage, as well as traveled up the harness to burn the fwd areas just under the front of the tunnel, until the fire was put out with must have been the entire amount of halon powder allowed in texas.
Actually, if I remember correctly, Evan had said the original owner of the '92 you are referring to that I worked on, put the fire out with one of those giant big gulp type sodas that he happened to have on him. Lol!

1990 Corvette ZR-1 [/B][I]
White/Flame Red, #2299, mostly stock, 144K miles.[/I]
-Cams timed to the '93-'95 405HP LT5 stock timing.
-IAT sensor relocated to below front bumper.
-Haibeck hoops installed in airduct.
-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
(SOLD - October 2009 :hello:)
bdw18_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #36
oricale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdw18_123 View Post
Actually, if I remember correctly, Evan had said the original owner of the '92 you are referring to that I worked on, put the fire out with one of those giant big gulp type sodas that he happened to have on him. Lol!
Unfortunately, in MY case the whole fire extinguisher was used..

Old 02-15-2016   #37
oricale

Default Re: Rehab of the 1992 Blk on Blk -The beating heart is in!!!!

Well,,, I didnt go out for Valentines day....Sooo...I needed make this car my B!tch!!!

Sooooo,..

I said F$@ck it!! and took a shot at installing this engine by myself...

As you can see, its like shoeing a 10" foot into a 8" shoe...without cutting your 3" toenails.

Its ONLY LOOKED WORSE as I leaned forward in my task........

Just have to get it...over....the...hump..!

Old 02-15-2016   #38
oricale

Then...after "rotate"...this way and "rotate"...that way...crank up..crank down....and BAM!....were doing "GOOD"......or....maybe..I'm in a situation I CANT get out of...

Well....Cant turn back NOW!.:-(

OMG....This Sh!t just might happen!.. let me get a "selfie" (LOL)

VICTORY!!!!

Epilogue:

I honestly REALLY didn't think I could get the engine in the car with what seemed like 3 foot long manifolds on, let alone without damaging SOMETHING in the process....

The only provisions I made was disconnecting the hood to get another 2" of space, then covering everything with towels and cardboard.

One of most difficult things was to get the motor mounts lined up with the frame mounts...Especially with the stock manifolds!AFTER an hour of "motivating" the engine....(THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ERROR)

..other than a mark on the AC canister.....success...

Last edited by oricale; 02-15-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-15-2016   #39
bdw18_123

When I put the LT5 back in the '90 Z I used to own, I tried it with the injector housings on, but it wouldn't clear the crossbar in the front. I didn't have the exhaust manifolds on either. I had to not only remove the IH's, but also the wiper motor from the firewall to get the necessary clearance.

That was with the harmonic balancer on too. If that was off, would have more clearance, but putting the HB on with the engine installed looks like a giant pain in the a$$.

EDIT: I see you got it in, wow, I'm surprised. I wonder why I had so much trouble with mine?

1990 Corvette ZR-1 [/B][I]
White/Flame Red, #2299, mostly stock, 144K miles.[/I]
-Cams timed to the '93-'95 405HP LT5 stock timing.
-IAT sensor relocated to below front bumper.
-Haibeck hoops installed in airduct.
-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
(SOLD - October 2009 :hello:)

Last edited by bdw18_123; 02-15-2016 at 10:02 AM.
bdw18_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #40
oricale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdw18_123 View Post
When I put the LT5 back in the '90 Z I used to own, I tried it with the injector housings on, but it wouldn't clear the crossbar in the front. I didn't have the exhaust manifolds on either. I had to not only remove the IH's, but also the wiper motor from the firewall to get the necessary clearance.

That was with the harmonic balancer on too. If that was off, would have more clearance, but putting the HB on with the engine installed looks like a giant pain in the a$$.

EDIT: I see you got it in, wow, I'm surprised. I wonder why I had so much trouble with mine?
Finesse my man,...finesse....

I actually had to work it inch by inch and remove the driver side IH(to not damage the wiper-motor plastic...although the stock manifolds with their GIGANTIC CC's were touching EVERYTHING!

I think if I had another pair of hands, it may have been a bit quicker.

Last edited by oricale; 02-15-2016 at 10:34 AM.