ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-22-2010   #31
DaveK

Default Re: America Sports Car Publication of the NCM>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
None of the admissions/front area staff have Vettes, so it really doesn't surprise me that they didn't know who you were talking about. Your best bet for information is always to go to the Library and Archives and ask for Bette. I've yet to stump her on any question. You can always ask for me too at the front desk and they can page me.
That sounds fine in theory, except I don't know who you or Bette are either... and no-one directed me to either of you. I asked several people and all claimed not to know anything about Jim or Automasters, which considering his involvement, reputation and location (a thousand meters from the Museum??), his prior support for the museum etc. is a very poor excuse so far as I'm concerned.

The museum wouldn't even be there if it wasn't for the likes of people like him from what I can see.

I became a member of the museum years ago, before I owned a vette and let it lapse because I felt I was getting extremely poor value for my money. I rejoined at the gathering because I felt I should try and support it more, but hearing your response I think maybe that was a mistake.

Whether your staff own Corvettes or not, I would expect them all to be indoctrinated in the knowledge of people who made their jobs exist.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #32
JThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
That sounds fine in theory, except I don't know who you or Bette are either... and no-one directed me to either of you. I asked several people and all claimed not to know anything about Jim or Automasters, which considering his involvement, reputation and location (a thousand meters from the Museum??), his prior support for the museum etc. is a very poor excuse so far as I'm concerned.

The museum wouldn't even be there if it wasn't for the likes of people like him from what I can see.

I became a member of the museum years ago, before I owned a vette and let it lapse because I felt I was getting extremely poor value for my money. I rejoined at the gathering because I felt I should try and support it more, but hearing your response I think maybe that was a mistake.

Whether your staff own Corvettes or not, I would expect them all to be indoctrinated in the knowledge of people who made their jobs exist.
Dave, you hit the nail on the head when you stated, "I felt I should try and support it more."

The museum exists because of people with passion for the Corvette, such as yourself. Not every employee at the museum are car enthusiasts, although we would like them to be just as passionate as we are. There are a select few "gearheads" at the museum. People like Gary Cockriel, who runs the R8C Delivery program, Roc Linkov who coordinates the events, Adam Boca and several of the delivery personnel, who give the orientations of the new vehicles.

These are the people to reach out to because they know Corvettes and the different shops in Bowling Green to point you to. But one could only know this if they take the time and interest to get involved and meet the workers at the museum. Expecting every employee to know all things about Corvette is like asking any employee at a "Fine Arts Museum" to tell me about this or that Picasso, it's not going to happen and it's too great of an expectation.

The people at the front desk could have offered you a telephone directory, and then you could have looked up AutoMasters and made a phone call.

My suggestion, as I've said before, is continue to support the NCM, and when you are in Bowling Green, get to know the players behind the scenes. A lot of the volunteers are true enthusiasts like you and me. Some have worked for GM and have connections, some are from Bowling Green and know the local shops.

Bob is the museum's photographer and editor for the magazine. He has been employed at the museum for, I believe just over two years. He has worked to address this issue and has become aware of this site and doing his best to become more familiar with the Brothers of the Beast.

Joe
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium

Last edited by JThomas; 07-22-2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Spelling and editing
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #33
jrd1990zr1

It sounds to me that the front staff needs to be educated on these types of issues. If this is the museum's reception area they should have the pertinent information or at least attempt to aquire it from others. It would go a long way to assist new NCM members and visitors to the site.

Maybe some of the more knowledgable people could create a "cheat sheet" the less knowledgeable staff could refer to??? Or have at least a listing of knowledgeable people reception could contact.

Where I work the front desk security guard has a listing of pertinent people, phone numbers, locations areas and folks to contact for more information.

Last edited by jrd1990zr1; 07-22-2010 at 05:55 PM.
jrd1990zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #34
Bob2.0

If you'd like to make a list of pertinent information, I'll be more than happy to submit it for them to hang on to at the front desk. It might be fun to see how long the list will grow as more people chime in on what they think is important. The people in admissions are actually very nice and can handle tours and general information, but if you need something more specific outside of thier area of expertise, you can always go to the Library and Archives for that kind of info.
Bob2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #35
JThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd1990zr1 View Post
It sounds to me that the front staff needs to be educated on these types of issues. If this is the museum's reception area they should have the pertinent information or at least attempt to aquire it from others. It would go a long way to assist new NCM members and visitors to the site.

Maybe some of the more knowledgable people could create a "cheat sheet" the less knowledgeable staff could refer to??? Or have at least a listing of knowledgeable people reception could contact.

Where I work the front desk security guard has a listing of pertinent people, phone numbers, locations areas and folks to contact for more information.
The only concern I forsee with this is that some people would view the museum's "Cheat Sheet" as an endorsement for the repair facility. What recourse would the individual have if the repair is not to their satisfaction but was on the NCM's list?

Provided the individual would not hold the museum responsible for the repairs, I could see this cheat sheet including things such as Automotive repair and tune ups, Body/Paint shop and repair, Tire and Wheel facilities, Wheel alignments, and local Chevrolet Dealers, or facilities specific to Corvette/ZR-1 etc.

Beyond that I can't think of anything else one would need, while in Bowling Green. Most cars coming to an event are typically in good working order. We would just want to prepare for the ocassional "oops" that may happen while travelling. JMHO
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #36
jrd1990zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThomas View Post
The only concern I forsee with this is that some people would view the museum's "Cheat Sheet" as an endorsement for the repair facility. What recourse would the individual have if the repair is not to their satisfaction but was on the NCM's list?

Provided the individual would not hold the museum responsible for the repairs, I could see this cheat sheet including things such as Automotive repair and tune ups, Body/Paint shop and repair, Tire and Wheel facilities, Wheel alignments, and local Chevrolet Dealers, or facilities specific to Corvette/ZR-1 etc.

Beyond that I can't think of anything else one would need, while in Bowling Green. Most cars coming to an event are typically in good working order. We would just want to prepare for the ocassional "oops" that may happen while travelling. JMHO
Joe, I had not thought of that, you make a good point. Maybe all that needs to happen is to make sure the front desk knows about Jim/Automasters. Or if they are going to have a more inclusive list a disclaimer might be in order.

Sorry if I have made this issue bigger than it needs to be.
jrd1990zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote