ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-02-2008   #31
Shinto

Default Re: Opinion on this Xpipe/Resonator hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
i got rid of the resonator completely...replaced it with a 2.5'' x-pipe,but i kept the cats;not loud at all inside...i had a 65 big block with the original side pipes...wanna talk about resonance??...to me,my car is very civilized,both in and out;could even be louder,i wouldnt mind...noise is kinda hard to evaluate,tho...
bj
Well, I tried to have the x-pipe added before the resonator, but there just isn't enough room with the Borla system -- the resonator can only be moved back about 12" before it loses clearance to the differential. This ALMOST works, except the x-pipe and the Borla resonator have different spacing between the pipes and there is no room to put pipes with the proper s-curves to make the two match up. Ultimately, I got rid of the resonator in favor of the x-pipe.

Great seat of the pants improvement -- feels like another 20-30 hp on tap. It isn't any louder outside the car, but is a little lower in frequency. I do hear a bit more of a low frequency (about 30 Hz or so -- like a good subwoofer) drone from underneath my feet, but only at certain rpms as I accelerate. It's actually still quieter than my 78 Trans Am. I can live with it a lot easier than the factory placement of the cats -- anyone ever drive barefoot and burn their little toe to the right of the accelerator? Ouch!
1991 ZR-1 #1926 Black/Black, Borla Exhaust w/ X-pipe
Shinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #32
jonszr1

growing up at the beach , I HATE SHOES, i allways drive bearfoot , never burned my toe though
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #33
Shinto

Just a quick update after living with the X-pipe for a while for what its worth. Fuel economy has gone down from about 13.5 to 12.4 (I almost never get out on the freeway). The resonance is exclusively between 1500 and 2000rpm (right where I usually cruise, but I can live with it just fine). Not too bad considering the seat of the pants power increase, but you do get used to it quick (and at $4.70 per gallon for super...) Sadly, it is the more fuel efficient of my 2 cars, both of which require super unleaded... I'd rather kill myself than buy a Prius though. Love hurts.
1991 ZR-1 #1926 Black/Black, Borla Exhaust w/ X-pipe
Shinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #34
ZWILD1

I have a B&B 3" and headers no cats. Was thinking of having someone make me an X-pipe to replace the resonator. I don't really care if it gets louder.
91 Turquoise Metallic Haibeck 525 #0134
ZWILD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #35
jonszr1

so did anyone ever try this exhaust system out ?
Old 07-27-2008   #36
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWILD1
I have a B&B 3" and headers no cats. Was thinking of having someone make me an X-pipe to replace the resonator. I don't really care if it gets louder.
Hold on for just a bit. I installed the MagnaFlow Xpipe/resonator hybrid system this weekend. I'll post pics and stuff later this week but my initial impression is that this system is a best buy for $653 SHIPPED.
SOTP tells me there's more power even down low and resonance is noticeably better than the 3rd Gen B+B I just took off. Its all SS, with rolled tips that look like the Corsa only they are massive. In typical MagnaFlow fashion, the mufflers are very much exposed with a mirror finish. The install on a stock manifold ZR is pretty straight forward. On a ZR with headers, it takes some creative modding. 3hrs at Twisted Pipes and Mike did a great looking install.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #37
jonszr1

so you like em ? are they pretty quiet inside the car . it sounds like a trip to the strip is in the near future
Old 07-28-2008   #38
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1
so you like em ? are they pretty quiet inside the car . it sounds like a trip to the strip is in the near future
Got a bit of a scare there when the rear started smoking after having driven the car for a few miles. The MagnaFlow is a glass pack with straight thru pipes. After a while, the fiberglass "cures" and produces white smoke. I thought I had blown a head gasket.
I plan on going to the dyno first to see if and how much the tune may have changed. It sounds a bit lumpier at idle with a deeper bass note to it. At cruise its quieter than the B+B even with the Xpipe on it.
Old 07-28-2008   #39
zrss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWILD1
I did that on my 415. The noise level went up but only by a little bit. It's quite liveable except for resonance around 1700 rpm and you can avoid that by shifting or changing speed.

Once you pull the resonator off and look at how it necks down from 3" you'll be glad you got rid of it.
zrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #40
XfireZ51

OK, Here's some pics of the Magnaflow and a brief vid to hear what it sounds like. All I can say, is that on cruise, it is quieter than my B+B. The smoke you see in the pics is due to new exhaust oil burnoff.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=PICT0066.flv

Last edited by XfireZ51; 07-31-2008 at 11:01 PM.