ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-07-2017   #31
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: License plate LED bulb upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Got it. To me, while nothing wrong with it, does not improve the load on the electrical.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Agree it's a sum of the parts. However the load reduction is significant on all the "other" LEDs we are speaking to a solution for 4 bulbs that are the particular problem. I want to solve that problem if possible
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #32
-=Jeff=-

I think a resistor across the positive and negative for the turn circuit on the 1157 will correct the issues

1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 07-07-2017 at 08:41 PM.
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #33
ZR1North

Quote:
This is from an 88, probably the same in later years but maybe not

GM used the filaments of the bulbs to their advantage, if I apply 12v to both sides of the bulb it will be off, but with LEDs that does not work, since the Bulb is basically a short, the new LEDs are not.

IF I were to place the LED in the front of my car and remove the front Side marker it will work in both cases

I have a 2 relay (per side) solution which might be the best I am going to get. it will change the wiring of the marker light and a ground will need to be added, But it would work.

Also in current OEM state, if you put LEDs in the front side marker, they will only with parking lights OR Turn signals, not both ( due to GM Design)

I took a look at my 91 wiring this evening, and I see what you mean about the dual-side use of 12V. It's another example of how GM used bulb filaments for circuit control, a little like what they did with the fog light disable when switching from low to hi beam. I see how a couple of relays could solve the switch to LEDs for the front signals and side markers. I'll have to sleep on it - just did a relay mod to address the issue I had with fitting the HID fog lamps and need to tackle some other (non Zee) things on my to-do list before getting the wire strippers out again.
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #34
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
I think a resistor across the positive and negative for the turn circuit on the 1157 will correct the issues

I'm always looking for a plug and play solution -=JEFF=- as you well know with the many projects you have done for me in the past

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 07-07-2017   #35
GOLDCYLON

Quote:

-=JEFF=- look at EBay auction number 311910306778 this is what I think will work plug and play

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 09-23-2017   #36
G-Sting

GOLDCYLON, I can't seem to find the thread that talked about 'plug-n-play' success on the LED turn signal lights... I thought there was another thread besides this one.

In any case, I had ordered the aforementioned amber LED bulbs on ebay, from seller "summermotors86". They are titled:
2x Amber No Error Super Bright 30Watt 1157 BAY15D XBD LED Brake Light 12-24V

Along with installing those two front turn signal LED bulbs, I ordered and installed the CEC Industries EF32 Electronic Turn Signal Flasher from Amazon.

I have no other LED bulbs other than the two front turn signal/parking light bulbs.

All works great on the '94 Z. Parking lights on - amber is bright, not overly bright. Turn signals work front (LEDs), side marker (stock bulbs) and rear (stock bulbs) at a normal rate with a pleasant 'clicker' the same rate as stock. With or without the headlights on, all works normally. I like 'em!

Thanks for the help.
"G"
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by G-Sting; 10-09-2017 at 10:53 PM.
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017   #37
GOLDCYLON

I soft deleted that post while I was working on a problem with the mod. While everything appeared to work correctly the next day I ran into a problem when the park lights are on or the headlights are on as the blinkers will error out. The solution was to pull the amber turn signal bulbs from the front side markers. It appears GM runs 12v power through the side marker connections while pulling a 12v load to power the headlights. I asked -=JEFF=- to work a plug and play solution for me as I did not want to splice resisters into the factory wiring. I paid for the hardware for him to bench test and research for me. He did create a plug and play solution for me and I am ordering two more kits in the future. I have been running the plug and play mod now for three weeks with no blinker errors to date and I have replaced both my front and rear side markers with amber and red LEDs. I will activate that other post this weekend as I have a few pics to make of the install. Do me a favor since I have a 90 and a 91 only will you turn on your headlights and see if your turn signals work? I believe all C4s MY 90-96 are wired the same way. Thanks GC

Please note this mod is not ready for prime time and is in the trials and bench test mode only. -=JEFF=- will announce if and when he is ready to start making this plug and play mod available to the C4 community and at a price point of his choosing. This is Jeffs innovation and we are darn lucky to have him in the community. Jeff was kind enough to take his time to find a PNP solution for me that may benefit the entire community in the future. Just like Jerry, Cliff and a few others I'm sure I missed. We have an opportunity to advance our hobby and this great organization. GC

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 09-23-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2017   #38
-=Jeff=-

Thanks for the kind words GC.. I am out of commission for 6 weeks and will be able to start back up after. By thne it will be cool enough for GC to get pictures and some measurements I need for me to continue. He will then get 2 more sets to mess with

Then I can figure out how well they will work
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 09-24-2017   #39
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Do me a favor since I have a 90 and a 91 only will you turn on your headlights and see if your turn signals work? I believe all C4s MY 90-96 are wired the same way. Thanks GC
GC,

Glad to help in any way I can... I have tested the front turn signal LEDs at both the parking light setting and with the headlights on at two different times yesterday, while driving around and parked. They work flawlessly. The only thing I notice, is that with only the parking light setting ON, the green turn signal arrows above the Speedo light up dimly (I didn't notice that before, maybe it did it before the LEDs). But when activating the turn signal, they light up brightly in the direction of turn. ... I'll keep testing them this week, and let you know if anything changes.

I can dropbox you a video of them working, if desired. I also took some pics of the DIY process and would be glad to post when you guys are ready.

When looking for bulbs for any of the exterior lights, I do notice a difference between the 90 and the 91-96 fixtures and some bulbs. Also, with the base model Vette going from the L98 to the LT-1 in '92, makes me wonder if there was a change in the electrical system in there somewhere. ??

Absolutely, appreciate Jeff and all those who take the time to dig deeper into all the things that make our machines run great!

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017   #40
-=Jeff=-

Yeah so mine did the same but one inside arrow was bright. It should not do that. It is a combination of bulbs wiring resistance and a few others things.

1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978