ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 07-23-2018   #31
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: FS: 1991 ZR-1 Blk/Red only 4800 miles!!!

Opinion noted.
However, the question that I answered had to do with the Market Value of a 1991 Corvette ZR-1.
I cited the source of that number.
I did not place a "value" in my opinion on the car, but conveyed the book value or retail value of such a car, in such condition as suggested by that source.
While everything you said may or may not be true, it does not change the representation of the retail value range of a 1991 Corvette ZR-1 as of July 2018, according to the source cited.
Should you wish to express an opinion on the condition, i.e. fair, good or excellent, of that particular car, you are also welcome to do so.
I stand by my statement of a car that meets the definition of a Retail Price which would convey one that has been properly inspected, tested and prepared for a retail sale of a 4500 mile car.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018   #32
George Maz

I know the owner. He's owned and sold several mint ultra low mileage ZR-1's. He's a big fan of the corvette & the ZR-1 and co-owns a performance corvette shop, so all his cars are well sorted, no expense spared, properly stored and maintained.
If your in the market for investment grade car or just willing to spend for a nearly new perfect condition ZR-1...you might want to go see the car in person, meet the caretaker.
Car is sexy, great color combination.

At that price, you're basically paying the storage & maintenance for 28 years...getting the car for free, no?
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018   #33
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Opinion noted.
However, the question that I answered had to do with the Market Value of a 1991 Corvette ZR-1.
I cited the source of that number.
I did not place a "value" in my opinion on the car, but conveyed the book value or retail value of such a car, in such condition as suggested by that source.
While everything you said may or may not be true, it does not change the representation of the retail value range of a 1991 Corvette ZR-1 as of July 2018, according to the source cited.
Should you wish to express an opinion on the condition, i.e. fair, good or excellent, of that particular car, you are also welcome to do so.
I stand by my statement of a car that meets the definition of a Retail Price which would convey one that has been properly inspected, tested and prepared for a retail sale of a 4500 mile car.

Marty
Marty,
I was not disagreeing with your post. In fact, I totally agree with it. My post was more directed at the one or two line responses we see that most times state that a car is not priced realistically without the poster actually having any knowledge of the specific vehicle other than seeing a few pictures and sellers supplied discription.
I agree the source you mentioned is a good guide as a starting point to determine value.
Sorry if you took it to be pointed in your direction, which is not what was intended.
1990 #442

Last edited by TX '90 ZR1; 07-23-2018 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Clarification
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018   #34
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
Marty,
I was not disagreeing with your post. In fact, I totally agree with it. My post was more directed at the one or two line responses we see that most times state that a car is not priced realistically without the poster actually having any knowledge of the specific vehicle other than seeing a few pictures and sellers supplied discription.
I agree the source you mentioned is a good guide as a starting point to determine value.
Sorry if you took it to be pointed in your direction, which is not what was intended.

Kenny,
After re-reading your post, I conclude that we are indeed on the same page.
My apologies as well, although likely, neither yours or mine are needed.
I often cringe at the same comments as you, that unrealistically suck the value out of these cars, without merit.
A p.o.s. ZR-1 is worth 9k.
A perfect or near so cannot be given the same value as often occurs in these posts.
Enjoy your Z!
After 23 years, mine still "does it".
That almost never happens.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018   #35
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Now, the moment this post is added, many will feel compelled to pooh-pooh it.
They will cite all of their sources, facts, auction results, what they heard somewhere, etc. in a quest to say it isn't so, but let them have at it.
They are entitled to their opinion.
However, I would ask each potential campfire pee-er to document how many copies of "their" price opinion are published, and where the information is obtained to support their opinion.

There is a book.
It is called the Black Book CPI ( Cars of Particular Interest ) Collectable Vehicle Value Guide.

While books do not buy cars, this is a respected guide of "Retail Prices" of Collector Cars that has been around for a long, long time.

A 1991 ZR-1 Coupe has the following values according to CPI:

Fair $ 9,650.00
Good $18,500.00
Excellent $31,000.00

Without a doubt, a black with red 4800 mile car as pictured is far closer to excellent than most all others.

Will this car sell at that price?
Quite possibly, if the seller takes the time and effort required to find the right buyer at that price, which can take 1 year or more.
Many sellers fail to do the above for a multitude of reasons, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Marty
Something must be wrong...I agree with you...Those values are spot on where the market is at currently. Which also means, at 35k the seller is going to be waiting awhile for just the right buyer. And he may be fine with that.

I think the big thing is, 90% of the cars being sold as "pristine/excellent" simply are not. And the initial post selling the car doesn't detail anything well enough to convey that the car is indeed "excellent." (Which happens more often that not)

Low mileage and shiny paint doesn't make an excellent car, which you know. There are a lot of Z owners who don't even change their own oil. Those people are terrible judges of "excellent." It's the difference between a 35k car that needs nothing, and a clean low mileage car that needs 5-8k in maintenance and is worth 20k. Upon further details, this car may be excellent, but the original post didn't convey that and the sellers price is definitely above what the market seems to currently be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
The newest of these is over 20 years old. There are so many variables in the purchase, that I argue it is impossible to even give a close estimate of value just by looking at a few pictures and description supplied by the seller.
For grins, let's say we have a 30K example that has been lovingly cared for. Sitting next to it is an identical 30K example that has not received the attention it should have over its 20 plus years of life. Both are shiny and nice looking in the pictures. On the first example, it has lived in a favorable climate and everything works as expected. On the second example, it has been in a harsh enviornment and a few things are not working. There can be a vast difference in value of these two otherwise identical cars.
It is very easy to drop several thousand dollars on a car like the second example, and chances are it will still not be the quality of the first one. The only way, in my opinion, to place a value is to put "eyes on" if you are knowledgeable enough or have a very trusted knowledgeable person check it out. This is not a 15 minute job. It can take more than a single inspection as well.
To sum this up, I don't think we should be offering opinions on values if we have not met the criteria of doing due diligence to determine it.
Definitely. Although, I would argue that due to simple things in pictures, brief descriptions, etc., without seeing the car, you can determine if it's an "excellent" vs. a "good" car. If an owner has a low mileage Z that he's done no work to, and has no maintenance history on, it's not likely an "excellent" car. The difference between "good" and "fair" is where details and in person inspection is even more critical.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018   #36
rossgn49u

Here's a little info on mine:

91 Red/Red #347
Previous owner bought it 3 or 4 years ago for $32k with 6k miles...pristine.
Drove it a few miles and it choked....tank flush, injectors and coils....nearly $3k
New set of tires as originals were showing signs of cracking.

I bought it a few months ago for $25k with old original tires included with sale.

I hope values are getting close to bottoming out, but who knows. I really liked the black car and red guts. I think I offered $24k on Ebay, but cant remember for sure. Had to consider shipping from NY in my offer.
94 ZR-1 Blk/Blk (Sold)
91 ZR-1 DRM/Tan (Sold)
90 ZR-1 Red/Red (Sold)
rossgn49u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018   #37
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post

I have a friend whom i show these cars to and he said he would only buy a White ZR1 with Red interior. I believe that is the rarest
Not even close,just about every other 91 for sale is white/red. I’m a firm believer in spending the money on the cleanest car I can find,I’ll put that over the price. The car in question here might be a $32,000 car,if I were in the market and I had $32,000 to spend on another 91,it would have to be a 91,the price difference of $3000 would not put me off the car. The fact that it’s black/red makes the difference here. Now,if the car were white/red that would be a tough sell at that price. My car,it’s white/red and I love it.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #38
Atari_Prime

Beautiful car. Given the color, interior, mileage and general appearance in pictures, I'm interested at about $22k. I completely understand that's nowhere near the asking price but I feel it's fair regardless.
Atari_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #39
George Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
Beautiful car. Given the color, interior, mileage and general appearance in pictures, I'm interested at about $22k. I completely understand that's nowhere near the asking price but I feel it's fair regardless.
Lowball.
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #40
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
That’s not a fair price,that’s an insult.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote