ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-05-2013   #31
Dynomite

Default Re: ZR1Net: parts development program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Yeap,this was brought up by me to Ron Kreigh when he was President and explained to me the way he just explained it and he does have a point.

I think this could be done with a few members getting together and doing it and just ask the members to cover cost.
Basicly lets say we decide to make oil pumps get the cost to make these
So lets say cost is $5000 divide this by 500 members $10 each, now we have oil pumps etc,.

Chain tensioners do not need to be as complicated as the factory made them need the spring and a small check valve I can get into it more if this becomes a hit.

Pete
There is only one guy at present (90ZR1#1221) that might need an oil pump. You guys know much more than I do but I just do not see the LT5 in need of much more than an occasional Water Pump and gaskets. I know that is over simplification but you know what I mean in terms of major components

Of those 500 members, how many have an interest in doing major LT5 Modifications and/or Repairs

On the other hand.....Marc, Pete, and Jerry would know how many of what parts they are in need of most of the time and what parts are hard to come by.

So....what parts fail and how often and what are the "work arounds" if parts are not available?

I think I am having a discussion with myself

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-06-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #32
LGAFF

I agree Pete, its like PBS....you want to watch the frog and a bunch of boring highbrow shows you gotta pay up; same here.... maybe we just try one part....don't even need to spend any money. Do the due diligence and see were it takes us...at some point we will benefit....and lets face it stuff is not going to get cheaper.

Brainstorming and sharing resources can get you places....

I cannot imagine what the hell you would once the DIS are gone, sure they are a good part that does not often fail...but at some point its going to start happening as the parts age.

With no DIS, Pete will be sitting in his car in the driveway; making motor sounds and reliving his 129MPH pass; you can give Pete that DIS for the price of a cup of coffee each day....Starkbucks Coffee, not the cheap stuff...
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359

Last edited by LGAFF; 09-05-2013 at 11:46 PM.
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #33
LGAFF

There is actually a guy here in my town that supplies parts for Delorean's....while they from having a ton of overstock....he might be able to give a hint on electronic parts.....

or

Worst case, we jump in one of his cars, travel back to 1990 and order all the LT-5 parts....
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #34
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
I agree Pete, its like PBS....you want to watch the frog and a bunch of boring highbrow shows you gotta pay up; same here.... maybe we just try one part....don't even need to spend any money. Do the due diligence and see were it takes us...at some point we will benefit....and lets face it stuff is not going to get cheaper.

I cannot imagine what the hell you would once the DIS are gone, sure they are a good part that does not often fail...but at some point its going to start happening as the parts age.

With no DIS, Pete will be sitting in his car in the driveway; making motor sounds and reliving his 129MPH pass; you can give Pete that DIS for the price of a cup of coffee each day....Starkbucks Coffee, not the cheap stuff...
In your favor
The DIS is sensitive to heat and if installed without the correct grease it will overheat and fail

Tyler Townsley says he has 3 dead DIS modules and if we could get a rebuild capability it would sure help those who discover the hard way that the correct grease matters.

Now we have another option.......Develope the Registry Rebuild Capability

Water Pumps, ECMs, Heads, Oil Pumps (I think), Chain Tensioners (reset), Alternators, Starters, Belt Tensioners, Injectors, FX3 Actuators, Even Lifters.........All can be rebuilt......and are being rebuilt as we speak (I am not sure if DIS is now on that list of being rebuildable). Limey will even rebuild in exchange your LT5

I think Limey in the worst case, jumped in one of his cars, traveled back to 1990 and bought all the LT-5 parts

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-06-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #35
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post

always a work around, the DIS craps out, put in a megasquirt and go with individual coils better spark, engine management control

we could start with the thermostat housing. be ez to weld one up. a 400 part like that just frosts my (*&^Ss

next time a zr1oner needs one, take of the old part and see how hard it would be to fab or fix it.

but I agree the DIS is an "achilles heel" and when a part made out of unobtanium goes bad, you either have to engineer around the problem, scrounge a used one, or sit and stew.

I'll always pick 1 or 2 and often 1 if I think I can do it better with a more modern solution

certainly engine management is one area I think we can make BIG improvements. full tune on the fly with dual widebands and a computer that "auto corrects" the tune and has built in failsafes to save the engine in the event of knock, loss of oil pressure, overheating, ect.... is worth the price of admission.

my LSV 390 cost Larry 36k (at least that's what the receipt says) and wasting that bullet is beyond my humble feduciary means

if it breaks, it will likely sit a while. lt5 is an expensive "part" and worth protecting and keeping on the road.

the "unfortunate" part of this little problem is as mentioned, the LT5 is so reliable that not too many people wear them out.

I'm doing my best and will fire up the beast pretty soon and flog it on the way to work. it's a bit masochistic and enjoys a good beating
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #36
RiceEatingZR1

this sounds like a great idea.
1991 Charcoal Metallic ZR1 #730
[URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649606"]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649606[/URL]
[URL="http://community.webshots.com/user/shaun91zr1"][/URL]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/RiceEatingZR1/Forum%20Sig/Sig1.gif[/IMG]
RiceEatingZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #37
DaveK

I started work on a searchable "parts locator" page on the website. The problem I ran into is that it's very time consuming adding in all the parts information (obviously there are thousands). I could set something simpler up that didn't validate things like part numbers etc. so it would rely on people entering the parts information accurately. Would that be useful enough?

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #38
LGAFF

Sure, its a start
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17