ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-20-2021   #31
Arctic91

Default Re: Now The Driven ZR-1s Are Going Up - Another BAT Auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Then I guess nobody dreamed about our cars, because they certainly are not highly desirable.
I disagree, but everyone will have their own opinion and definition of how to define "desirable".

As a personal story/example: In 2006-2007, I became serious about selling my sport bike and buying my first Corvette, but I knew that I wanted something that was a little unique. I was considering a C5 Z06, but they were still pretty expensive, so I decided to check out the C4 options. I had kinda forgotten about the C4 ZR-1 and all the articles that I'd read about them when they were new and "king of the hill". After some additional research and thought, I became convinced that it was the car I wanted. Basically, I just needed to remember the details of the car and how I felt about them when I was younger, and get some re-assurance that it would be something that I'd be able to maintain, before I transitioned from "looker" to "buyer". I think that there are MANY others who lusted after the car when they were younger, and who would be interested in owning one today if that passion was rekindled. Not everyone, but many.

Scott

'95 Callaway SNAT 450 Aerobody Coupe - Black/Black
'92 Callaway SNAT 400 Convertible - Polo Green/Beige
'91 ZR-1 #1231 - Arctic White/Saddle (SOLD)
'90 ZR-1 #2547 - Turquoise Metallic/Black
'89 Callaway Twin Turbo Aerobody Coupe #027 - Black/Black
'85 Corvette 454 Coupe - White/Red
Arctic91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021   #32
jcruz

My very similar 91 (color, mileage) just sold on BaT prior to the 93 mentioned in the OP.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rvette-zr1-10/

Sale on mine was 25% less -- $21,000. In hindsight, a couple things hurt the price, and I was surprised to see the 93 went for over 28k!

I opted for the "professional photographer"...wouldn't do that again.

John
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021   #33
32valvesftw

I think BAT is unique in that it is very popular and that drives up the bidding, but the comments section can be brutal and that can crater an auction as well. If the seller does the work to describe the vehicle properly and stays on top of the comments then I think it helps the results. Also due to its popularity it has become a leading indicator of pricing.
If you look at some of the competitor sites like Cars and Bids or Radwood's new auction site, the prices in general are not that great. I don't think either site has had a C4Z listed though.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021   #34
Z51JEFF

Regardless of what somebody says,I don't a chart to see prices are on the rise,prices I haven't seen in years.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021   #35
rush91

A good example is Gateway Auto. I bought mine there in 2016 for about 18k..... it had 35,000 miles and was all original. No matter what one thinks of Gateway Auto ( they are overpriced and not very friendly ), have a look at all of their ZR-1s, form any of their locations. They don't have one priced under $28,000, with MORE miles than mine had. The only reason I bought mine from them, because it was the only Z for sale within 400 miles of me..... But at the prices they have now, I wouldn't fathom dropping $28,000 for a ZR-1. That's what a good, clean used C6 would go for now.

No matter what anyone tries to say, prices are on the rise. Not a crazy rise, but a slow burn of a rise.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021   #36
32ValveGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
I think BAT is unique in that it is very popular and that drives up the bidding, but the comments section can be brutal and that can crater an auction as well. If the seller does the work to describe the vehicle properly and stays on top of the comments then I think it helps the results. Also due to its popularity it has become a leading indicator of pricing.
If you look at some of the competitor sites like Cars and Bids or Radwood's new auction site, the prices in general are not that great. I don't think either site has had a C4Z listed though.
I believe a 1988 ZR-1 prototype sold on Cars and Bids for $75k
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1990 White/Red ZR-1 #1736
Bone Stock and staying that way (might cheat a little)

1959 MGA Twincam - sold
1967 Camaro SS 350 - stolen
1968 Camaro RS - traded in for a Vega - stupid
2002 Camaro SS SLP, rag top, last year haha - sold
32ValveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021   #37
CamP

I was at a drag race a few months ago and my car got mobbed by a group of 20-somethings. I was kind of shocked that they were excited to see it and also knew most of the technical stuff about the engine.
CamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021   #38
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
Very nice color combination. Plenty of white Z's on BAT! I never considered white as an appropriate color for that car but now I even start liking it.

What would you think are the most "classic", the most expensive (because most sought after) and least valuable color combination?

E.g. over here THE thing is triple black. Not sure why but the distinct style of an average hearse drives people nuts. My Mark III instead is a true 70s classic in Pastel Yellow over a medium brown interior. And it is ... pretty much impossible to sell.

So, what about the ZR? Does color play a role at all?
Color does make a difference somewhat in price. Some are looking for a very specific combination while most have a few colors in mind. I wanted a white 91 but wasn't specific on interior color. I see you have 1991 #638,I have #634 and #632 was about 20 miles from me for awhile.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021   #39
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
I was at a drag race a few months ago and my car got mobbed by a group of 20-somethings. I was kind of shocked that they were excited to see it and also knew most of the technical stuff about the engine.
This exactly. The younger crowd love the C4.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021   #40
Matt B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Color does make a difference somewhat in price. Some are looking for a very specific combination while most have a few colors in mind. I wanted a white 91 but wasn't specific on interior color. I see you have 1991 #638,I have #634 and #632 was about 20 miles from me for awhile.
Cool, always nice to meet a neighbor

By the way - surprisingly there is an article on the ZR-1 in a recent German US car magazine. It's the lead article featuring a dark red metallic 95 on various pages and clearly reiterating the former statements on the ZR: superior not only on the straight line but also in curves, better than Porsche and Ferrari of it's time, classy high tech monster with great behavior instead of being an (Italian) diva chasing your life, ahead of it's time and even today more than competitive. In short: they love it!
I'm sure it's just a matter of time that appreciation over here - and thereby value globally - will raise.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote