ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-19-2011   #31
tomtom72

Default Re: Plenum Pull...Parts List Varification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by | 1990 ZR-1 | View Post
Mike and Tom,

Thanks for your help guys. I'm going to order the injectors and gaskets, and hopefully be done with these issues by this weekend. (Wishfull thinking). I'll post up the results.

That's what this Bortherhood is all about. We try to help each other keep our cars in good order!

If you have any issues as you do your work don't forget to post up. Believe it or not this is a right of passage when you own an early, pre-92, ZR-1. Take your time and be patient as there is a lot of busy work under the plenum. Also, this bears repeating, check to see the bolts on the CCVBox Cover are tight as they create quite the oil mess. Check the T/Q on the I/H bolts and pull the starter to make certain the drain is clear & flowing. A camera could be useful for the wiring & vacuum line routing on the buttoning up phase....I didn't have a digital at the time I did mine and I had to take notes!

If you like I can PM you my cell number as a just in case situation. As I think I'm close but I believe there are some Z-Brothers closer.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #32
Mystic ZR-1

Tom,
Is that part of the "vast right wing conspiracy" that Hillary spoke of? Their tentacles are everywhere...
Damn them!!! Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, the Tea Baggers and Fox news too...
Doug
PS: What would Al Gore do?
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #33
QB93Z

Quote:
Mike and Tom,

Thanks for your help guys. I'm going to order the injectors and gaskets, and hopefully be done with these issues by this weekend. (Wishfull thinking). I'll post up the results.
In addition to Tom's offer, if you want some help or advice, please contact me or any of the other WAZOO guys. I am only three hours away and would be glad to help out.

Jim
443-244-1247
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #34
| 1990 ZR-1 |

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post

That's what this Bortherhood is all about. We try to help each other keep our cars in good order!

If you have any issues as you do your work don't forget to post up. Believe it or not this is a right of passage when you own an early, pre-92, ZR-1. Take your time and be patient as there is a lot of busy work under the plenum. Also, this bears repeating, check to see the bolts on the CCVBox Cover are tight as they create quite the oil mess. Check the T/Q on the I/H bolts and pull the starter to make certain the drain is clear & flowing. A camera could be useful for the wiring & vacuum line routing on the buttoning up phase....I didn't have a digital at the time I did mine and I had to take notes!

If you like I can PM you my cell number as a just in case situation. As I think I'm close but I believe there are some Z-Brothers closer.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I'll definitely take pics and will also take my time. I have a feeling those bolts are loose since I can see some oil under there. I will recheck everything and will give it a thorough cleaning. If you could PM me your cell, I'd greatly appreciate it. I ordered the FIC Lucas injectors and Jerry's seals and orings last night. I might start taking everything apart tonight.
| 1990 ZR-1 | is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #35
| 1990 ZR-1 |

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
In addition to Tom's offer, if you want some help or advice, please contact me or any of the other WAZOO guys. I am only three hours away and would be glad to help out.

Jim
443-244-1247
Jim, thanks a bunch for the offer. I'm sure I'll have tons of quesitons for you and Tom.
Old 04-19-2011   #36
Z51JEFF

The cam chains might be adding to the racket as well. I replaced the coils,plug wires when I did my injectors at 9000 miles.One of the new G.M. coils died with less than 5000 miles so I went with a set of MSDs and I put my LT5 wires back on the car.If your Vac system is holding vac for that long its in perfect shape.Typically these cycle a few seconds after about a minute give or take,thats what Ive seen anyway.As is already been stated any questions you might have can be answered right here.A little scary at first,take plenty of pictures...............and dig.Dont be surprised if it has to come off more than once.4 days after I got the car back together the Alt died.Plenum pull #2.[IMG][/IMG]
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #37
tomtom72

Gary, you have a PM!

Doug, Al Gore would drive a Prius.....after he gives up his Suburban 1500 w/454......with the up armored package.

That's the only problem with these high gas prices, the only cars on the road will be those stupid electric things and they even get in the way of my Cobalt! Oh yea my Cobalt is me being environmentally sensitive. It has the "B" motor so it too uses 93 octane.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #38
| 1990 ZR-1 |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
The cam chains might be adding to the racket as well. I replaced the coils,plug wires when I did my injectors at 9000 miles.One of the new G.M. coils died with less than 5000 miles so I went with a set of MSDs and I put my LT5 wires back on the car.If your Vac system is holding vac for that long its in perfect shape.Typically these cycle a few seconds after about a minute give or take,thats what Ive seen anyway.As is already been stated any questions you might have can be answered right here.A little scary at first,take plenty of pictures...............and dig.Dont be surprised if it has to come off more than once.4 days after I got the car back together the Alt died.Plenum pull #2.[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks Jeff. I'll try to tackle as many preventative items as I can so I dont' have to pull it apart again. And if I have to pull the plenum ever again, it'll be a walk in the park, or at least that's what I'm hearing
Old 04-20-2011   #39
| 1990 ZR-1 |

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Gary, you have a PM!

Doug, Al Gore would drive a Prius.....after he gives up his Suburban 1500 w/454......with the up armored package.

That's the only problem with these high gas prices, the only cars on the road will be those stupid electric things and they even get in the way of my Cobalt! Oh yea my Cobalt is me being environmentally sensitive. It has the "B" motor so it too uses 93 octane.
Thanks Tom. I just PM'ed you back. I'll give you a shout if I run into any trouble.
The FIC injectors will be here tomorrow, and if Jerry's gaskets get here before the weekend, I'm hoping ot be done by the end of this weekend.
Old 04-20-2011   #40
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. I'll try to tackle as many preventative items as I can so I dont' have to pull it apart again. And if I have to pull the plenum ever again, it'll be a walk in the park, or at least that's what I'm hearing
I didnt see anybody comment about coolant.You might need to drain about a half gallon.It would be interesting to see what everybody thinks is the biggest pain in the *** about doing this job.Ive done it 6 times and the one part I dread the most is getting the spark unit plugged in.You can check the secondaries with the plenum off.You need to hook up the fuel rails,make sure it is completely tight,no leaks.There is a pink wire at the second plug at the ECM I think.With the key on,ground this wire and the secondaries will open.If you want to check this out let me know and Ill check out a DVD I have that has the info on the system checks.One other item thats important,clean out the drain hole at the rear of the valley.This is to keep from flooding the starter.Its a small hole maybe about the size of a 1/4-20 bolt.Its been awhile so not sure on the size.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote