ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

View Poll Results: Which battery do you have in your ZR-1?
AC Delco 115 46.37%
Autocraft 4 1.61%
EverStart (Wal-Mart) 13 5.24%
Exide 5 2.02%
Kirkland (Costco) 2 0.81%
Interstate 25 10.08%
MAXX 3 1.21%
NAPA 4 1.61%
Nascar (Sams Club) 1 0.40%
Optima 30 12.10%
Sears Diehard 14 5.65%
Bosch 5 2.02%
Duralast (Autozone) 19 7.66%
Odyssey 6 2.42%
Braille 2 0.81%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2007   #31
Hack

Default Re: Which battery do you have?

My Z has a Diehard I believe. If/when it is due for replacement I will install an Odyssey. I run one in another vehicle and it has been flawless for over three years.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #32
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Well, far as automotive Pb-acid goes...

...there aren't many secrets anymore; they're all pretty much alike, relatively speaking. The BIG difference is the warranties that vary considerably. And, when I consider a new lead/acid battery and a tank of gas are about the same, i.e., a battery is no longer a "major purchase", as they once were (competition is such a good thing). So, I find the highest output battery that will fit in the tray, keep it charged, and dang if they don't last about 5 years, if it is never abused.

However, leave the lights on and have it run flat, I have found after ample "experimentation" it takes about a minimum of a year off of it's life expectancy each time it happens...IF it finally does take a full charge again.

Currently I have a Wallyworld Everstart - their higher grade "72" series that is listed for the ZR-1. If I recall it has 800+ CCA. Believe me, even when the temp is around zeroº, it really whips it over nicely!

I also have had good results with the Interstate line, but I don't know who makes either the Everstart or the Interstate.

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #33
Bell Curve

Duralast Gold
Bell Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #34
karterdon

Thumbs up Re: Which battery do you have?

For all of those that have had battery issues - leading to acid damage to everything around it and to the wiring behind the battery - I definetly suggest an Optima. You do not have to worry about any acid wash off from the top of the battery and all of the other worrysome problems that go along with it.
karterdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #35
blackjack

ive had nothing but problems in the past with odyssey batteries in motorcycles...i hope their car line is of higher quality...interstate in my z
bj
91/1735
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #36
-=Jeff=-

I have an optima red top in my Z..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #37
Jason 91

I just put a Duralast Gold in my 1991. I've only used AC Delco up until this one. I went with it after seeing Consumer Reports rate it the highest in the issue I received this week. Granted, they didn't test the AC Delco this go round, but I thought it was a safe bet.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 02-28-2009   #38
kirkstingray

AC Delco I have had one in all six of my vettes, from Tar Tops to current replacements. The one I just took out of my Z was dated 2000, when I turned it in for my core the guys at the Delco warehouse said you realy got your money out of this one or you have a real good charging system. I think I will stay with what goes in the car.
kirkstingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #39
MB ZR1

I put in a Parts Master battery. It has a 72 month warranty and 720 CCA. Only issue I had with it was the fit. I needed to remove the plastic handle with dremel tool to get it to fit. Other then that a battery is a battery IMO.

1990 ZR-1 S/n 1096
MB ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #40
LORDVDR

Not to bust the chops of any brand of battery, but here is my recent experience with them. When I bought my Zr-1 2 years ago, I was having a few problems with no-starts,as we all seem to experience. One thought was to replace the existing Interstate battery. It was replaced with an Autozone, Duralast battery. I then put the Interstate on the shelf in my garage where it has resided ever since.

Well some good folks here got me straightened out with the no-starts, which had nothing to do with the battery. About 3 weeks ago, I was finding I had to jump start my vette anytime I wanted to drive him. I keep it on a tender, so the battery being dead never occured to me.

This past Sunday some friends and I were attending a car show and leaving early. With no time to wait and no auto stores open I decided to swap out the Duralast with the now 2 years on the shelf Interstate. Damn if it didn't start up with one crank!! No Jump, No tender, Just fired right up!! I had no problems all day, Despite several stops along the way. I even got home from work today and he fired right up. I took the Duralast back to Autozone. They tested it and sure enough, Dead as a doornail!!

I will never put anything but an Interstate in LORDVDR again!!

Steve
LORDVDR is offline   Reply With Quote