ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-15-2017   #371
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
IAC counts are a big "tell". Its the canary in the coal mine. And having good IAC counts at idle ie 8-18 but preferably in the 12-15 range, does a lot for smoother idle and no stalling.
Yes.....feeling rather lucky that my IAC's vary between 12-17 as mentioned....but more @12-14......does put a smile on my face.....I know many of you have some great mods done with porting....cam changes and more....but for me....I am really enjoying how the LT5 performs in its stock form....and for now.....that is just fine with me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Congrats! All the hard work paid off.

The Hurst is a pain in the *** to install especially with the trans in the car. I’ve done several. Just did the current one a couple weeks ago, but that was with the trans out. Worth every frustrating minute though. After you install a short shifter, shifting a stock unit seems like rowing a boat.
H
Quote:
Oh and word of advice on the Hurst install. Before installing the new shifter into the gimble sand the powder coat off the two sides that engage the gimble. Every one I have done has had too tight a fit because of the powder coat. Makes the shifter somewhat sticky before it breaks if you don’t.
H

Thanks.....yes it is a good feeling to have everything working and performing the way it was designed to......

Yes....I have heard about the Hurst shifter install and thanks for the tip on sanding the powder coat off.....but this will be a WAZOO job when it can fit into a future WMD to be determined.....I have sat in quite a few members Z's with different shifters and yes....what a big difference from stock.....I know it will give the vehicle a whole new feel.....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017   #372
KFoster

Finally got pics. Opened up the plenum runners and blended the sharp edges in the throttle body. Painted and added a few billet parts. Battery is dead again. Must have been a joint venture between Porsche and Gm on the electrical system. Right door close switch out again. Turns interior lights on when it shuts and off when it opens.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Passed on: 1984 930S (gray market), 1988 Mustang Coupe Trooper car(drag)
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017   #373
Roadster

Had a new development occur today as I was headed to the WAZOO New Years luncheon. Got an early start and everything was going well......until I looked at the coolant temp on the highway.....I noticed the temp was at 159-160* @70mph and above....just hovering there....so I loop around to go back home.....not wanting to chance the over 2 hour drive each way with what may be a sticking thermostat.
Although the outside temp here is 19-21* and I did the TB coolant bypass months ago....I don't think that it have a 40* swing effect on the temp.....
Now getting off the highway and back on local roads......the temp now goes up to operating range.....200* or higher when stopped for a light....but then still drops to 196* and lower to about 187* when moving....and through all of this the engine is running fine.....and the idle remains to be perfect with each stop..
Got back home fine.....now to figure out the problem......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 12-29-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2017   #374
Jagdpanzer

Never been a fan of drilling holes in thermostats.

George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017   #375
Mystic ZR-1

Probably the thermostat was stuck open, be thankful it wasn't stuck shut.
Rather have it run too cool then too hot...
Replacing it should solve the problem?
Other than this, Happy New Year Tom!
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017   #376
Ccmano

Not sure I would immediately believe the gages. Hook up a scanner, Tech1 or such or get a reading from the other sensor via the HVAC display. Even if the thermostat stuck fully open I would still expect to see correct operating temp once the engine is fully warmed up, even in cold ambient temps.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017   #377
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
Never been a fan of drilling holes in thermostats.

To my knowledge Phil....I don't think the thermostat has been drilled out.....but don't know for sure.....enjoy those wings.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Probably the thermostat was stuck open, be thankful it wasn't stuck shut.
Rather have it run too cool then too hot...
Replacing it should solve the problem?
Other than this, Happy New Year Tom!
I hear you there Doug.....didn't feel like a tow home would be in order today.....lol was much easier turning around and driving home.....a thermostat replacement may be in order......and a Happy New Year to you also Doug!!! have fun......

Quote:
Not sure I would immediately believe the gages. Hook up a scanner, Tech1 or such or get a reading from the other sensor via the HVAC display. Even if the thermostat stuck fully open I would still expect to see correct operating temp once the engine is fully warmed up, even in cold ambient temps.
H
Lol....and I had the Tech 1 with me....but was more concerned about getting home....lol And both the digital and the analog gauges were reading the same....whether high or low....so I would doubt the readings were false.....but good idea on the Tech 1.....why didn't I think of that.....lol It's just strange that at highway speeds the temp would drop 40*.....and local driving it appears to be normal....but really is not as the temp was dropping at least 10* when driving locally....but then return to normal when sitting at a light....hmmmm....need to sleep on this one.....lol a later afternoon snooze may be in order.....lol

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 12-29-2017   #378
secondchance

Tom,

About 4 years ago I installed a thermo stat with 3 1/8" holes drilled on the flange. It worked fine during the summer months resulting in about 10 degree drop. As soon as we hit cold weather, at highway speed, she was running at 140. Idling, temp would get up to 190 to 200. I would suspect you have a drilled thermostat also.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017   #379
Dynomite

Default TB removal and then some!!!

What deg thermostat do you have? Check Coolant Temp using digital readout #16 fan speed. Do NOT drill holes in thermostats.

It does take a long while to warm up all coolant in radiator. The thermostat can get confused during that initial warm up when radiator coolant is so cold. I do not see a problem.

Happy New Year

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-29-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017   #380
XfireZ51

I installed a Fluidyne several years ago trying to address overhating innsummer w AC on. We put in a 180d thermo w 4 holes. It did as u described. Temps dropped to 150 or so when cruising in 30d ambient. Finally, settled on 2 1/8” holes using 180d thermo. Works perfectly in warm or cold. Hot weather driving,
temps are easily kept within the 187- 198d range. Fans come on at 190 and 192.
Cruising temps are below that. My cal for fans is set so temps are always in
Closed Loop Learn range.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote