ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-29-2017   #341
WARP TEN

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
One of the highlights of the entire event was how the influence of one member's recommendation to buy a really cool product.....
A big thanks to Robert (cvette98pacecar) for coming back to the tent and help me spend some $$.....

these lug guide tool's for wheels are a easier way to take off and install your wheels on the vehicle, especially if you have aftermarket wheels and calipers. 3 needed per wheel, will be anxious to try them out....
Thank you Robert!!!

In the C7 world, these are popular among those with Carbon-Ceramic brake rotors that come on the Z07 package or can be ordered separately now. Too often a tech removing or replacing wheels will slip and chip the edge of the rotor. Rotor is toast, cough up $2,000 or so. As a result, many are packing the lug nut guides in their cars for when they need to have a tire replaced or a wheel removed for any reason. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #342
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
No, not really....the way it was explained and it does make sense is that if you only used one lug guide tool, then the weight of the wheel would lean down and possibly damage those nice calipers you have. And also you lose leverage to say the least. With three, it makes it so much easier to "slide" the wheel on and know that it will be lined up perfectly to accept two of the lug nuts with no problem.....I bought 3 as recommended....can't wait to try them out.....
Tom
Ya shoulda bought 5!
Maybe 20?
😀
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #343
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Tom
Ya shoulda bought 5!
Maybe 20?
😀
Lol.....hey Doug, I'm getting old, what can I say!!! every little bit helps...

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #344
BigJohn

Quote:
Lol.....hey Doug, I'm getting old, what can I say!!! every little bit helps...
I think they would look cool as lug nuts!!

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #345
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I think they would look cool as lug nuts!!

Especially on Big Trucks.....[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G935P using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 08-30-2017   #346
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
One of the highlights of the entire event was how the influence of one member's recommendation to buy a really cool product.....
A big thanks to Robert (cvette98pacecar) for coming back to the tent and help me spend some $$.....

these lug guide tool's for wheels are a easier way to take off and install your wheels on the vehicle, especially if you have aftermarket wheels and calipers. 3 needed per wheel, will be anxious to try them out....
Thank you Robert!!!
Thanks for sharing Tom! I'm all over these and ordered a set today!
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017   #347
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Thanks for sharing Tom! I'm all over these and ordered a set today!
No problem Craig, but the real thanks goes to Robert DeMarco who showed them to a few of us at the time when he returned to the tent. Otherwise I wouldn't have know about them to make the purchase......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 08-30-2017   #348
Roadster

Went for a post Carlisle test drive today with the Mrs. to run some errands. Did not hook up the Tech 1, as I did not feel the need to at this time. Making multiple stops along the way in stop and go traffic, the idle was perfect each and every time when at a complete stop. And that was getting into it when space allowed just to bring the r's up a bit and then wait for the result when stopped. Right now I can say that no more tweaks are needed, but you never know. But also right now I can say that "TB removal and then some!!!" has been a big success....and that is a good thing......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 09-07-2017   #349
Roadster

I have another driving update.....but before my review, I am sure we would like to offer prayers and thoughts for people who are or were in the path of the hurricanes, and especially those who lost their lives.... may everyone remain as safe as possible.....

Went out to the 74 today, and met with my high school buddy Paul, who has been helping out with the 74. But today's trip was planned a little different. Paul, who enjoys building car models is now going to build a 94 ZR-1 model kit. So he wanted to get as many pics up close to make sure he builds it correctly.
So we go for a ride in the ZR-1....but more on that later......

My review of today's ride is nothing short of being amazing, to say I am extremely satisfied would be an understatement of major proportions. I feel the need to repeat myself, so I will!!!
The 94 ran fantastic and I now do use 6th gear on the highway. I know many members do not use 6th gear for various reasons and when I first bought the Z three and a half years ago, I also had questions about using 6th gear. At that time, 6th gear at highway speeds seemed very sluggish, and at times on easy acceleration, the engine would lug, almost to the point of demanding a downshift to 5th or 4th gear. And on top of that the engine temp would rise enough to start being concerned, as per the water pump not spinning as much.
Well since after the recent plenum pull with multiple items addressed, and as mentioned on the recent Carlisle trip a few weeks ago, for me 6th gear is the way to go on the highway.
I will explain, I can now cruise anywhere from 65 mph and above without feeling the need to downshift to a lower gear, except in a concerned passing move or other safety factor. I can now cruise about 1700 rpm's at 65, and 1800 to 1900 rpm's at 70 mph and above effortlessly. This is on flat roads, inclines, and whatever is in front of me. I climbed a decent incline at 70 mph today, and held my speed without any problem the entire climb. And no pinging, no lugging from or on the engine. I can pass anyone at will in 6th gear with enough power, no problem. So I used 6th gear on the way out and on the way back, so for me 6th gear is very usable....but that's JMO.
What made 6th gear feel so different now as compared to before???
Could be the replacement of #8 spark plug wire from the ohm test?
Could it be securing #7 coil tower wire to the coil?
Could it be addressing anything that was found?
Could be the new spark plugs?
Could it be that the LT5 runs perfect compared to before?
Or could it be one or more of the above along with other items not listed that now is the result of a usable 6th gear? The answer is....I don't know and may never know.....but all I do know now is that I am a very happy driver, to say the least.

Now with my buddy Paul and the ZR-1. We went for a ride and it was different from the first time he rode in the Z. And that was before the first plenum pull back in January when we found that the secondaries were not operating properly. So today, he was even more amazed than he was before. He in fact said "this thing is a "Beast" and proceeded to say it doesn't pull like a freight train, oh no, it's like a high speed train that keeps on going"
So I ask him if he would like to drive the "Beast", and of course the grin was, well you know!!! A whole different perspective from the driver's seat as opposed to riding in the passenger seat.......for sure!!! He just couldn't get over the feel, the acceleration, the control, and how smooth it all came together....needless to say, the grin on his face was the best compliment one could give when driving one of our ZR-1's.

And I must add that the idle is still perfect.....I just can't thank everyone enough along the way to getting this task accomplished. It was and still is a really true learning experience, and I am very thankful for that!!!

pics from today....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 09-08-2017   #350
efnfast

Tom, what are you running for rear end gears?
I've got 3.73's and have never had any issues in 6th. I usually don't use 6th below 60.
Glad to hear she's running soooo gooood.- Steve
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote