ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-16-2017   #321
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Tom,

You're a great and patient man. If it were me, that darn TB would be off and in the mail to Marc!!!!

Aloha,
Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017   #322
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Tom,

You're a great and patient man. If it were me, that darn TB would be off and in the mail to Marc!!!!

Aloha,
Craig
I hear you there Craig, thanks for the compliment I took a chance using the "dag" and so far it is working out for me. Just came out of the garage after checking throttle operation and it works great. I think the combo of using the white grease with constantly working the throttle is paying off. Last night I had to use the back part of a wood handle and tap it with a mallet to break the blades free while my wife pressed down on the accelerator. That's when I installed the plastic cups to keep the blades open. Just awhile ago as mentioned, I can open the blades completely using the TB linkage. So it's a big difference from last night.....another test drive tomorrow, and then start to get ready for Carlisle......

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #323
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I hear you there Craig, thanks for the compliment I took a chance using the "dag" and so far it is working out for me. Just came out of the garage after checking throttle operation and it works great. I think the combo of using the white grease with constantly working the throttle is paying off. Last night I had to use the back part of a wood handle and tap it with a mallet to break the blades free while my wife pressed down on the accelerator. That's when I installed the plastic cups to keep the blades open. Just awhile ago as mentioned, I can open the blades completely using the TB linkage. So it's a big difference from last night.....another test drive tomorrow, and then start to get ready for Carlisle......

Sounds great and hoping the best results for you. Waiting for you to open "Tom's Throttle Body Rebuilding Service". Aloha!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #324
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Sounds great and hoping the best results for you. Waiting for you to open "Tom's Throttle Body Rebuilding Service". Aloha!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Thanks Craig, no rebuilding service for me.....lol....there are people here with way more experience for that type of service. All I did was clean, repaint and replace the "dag" over a period of time. I did not disassemble any of the linkage, throttle blades or shafts as would be done in a complete rebuilding process. Just happy it's working out!!!

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 08-17-2017   #325
Roadster

Just completed some touch-up on the plenum that I had messed up....perfect-no.....acceptable-yes.....

You also know that when you attach the TB linkage cover that you are done and ready to go.....
Checked my throttle operation late last night and this morning. Working perfect, no stuck blades, or hang-ups, nice and smooth from 0%-100%.
Tweaking the system is completed....ready for the road.....
Now on to polishing....(of course I'm trying something new), so we'll see how it works out!!!

the touch-up in process....acceptable....

finished and cleared for now.....until another time!!!

the final closure.....lol.....linkage cover attached....lol...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 08-17-2017   #326
Roadster

Just got back from a gas fill up, ready for Carlisle.....
TPS reading is dead on .54v and the IAC's are stable and very acceptable. Idle is perfect and the throttle is so smooth. I just wanted to drive all night....
The only other thing is my ASR light has been coming on at times, and IIRC that needs to be reset and can be done with the Tech 1. Have to look through the FSM again for the proper procedure.....all-in-all....very good results....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 08-17-2017   #327
gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Just got back from a gas fill up, ready for Carlisle.....
TPS reading is dead on .54v and the IAC's are stable and very acceptable. Idle is perfect and the throttle is so smooth. I just wanted to drive all night....
The only other thing is my ASR light has been coming on at times, and IIRC that needs to be reset and can be done with the Tech 1. Have to look through the FSM again for the proper procedure.....all-in-all....very good results....
Great work awesome to hear it is going so well
Glen

Sent from my SM-G930F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #328
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz View Post
Great work awesome to hear it is going so well
Glen

Sent from my SM-G930F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Thanks Glen, appreciated.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 08-18-2017   #329
Roadster

Thought I would mention that after all of the test driving, my coolant temps are great with the TB and Plenum coolant elimination. The bleeder valves work great and my coolant level is stabilized. So that is another plus for me. Appreciate all of the info from everyone on the coolant by-pass solutions....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 08-28-2017   #330
Roadster

The latest driving update from the Carlisle trip.....
I always like to keep my updates as real as they can be, meaning that I will tell you the good, the not so good and the bad, when and if that happens.
Driving out to Carlisle Thursday morning, (met up with Marty) and away we went. Engine felt real strong, no reason not too!!! Keeping my foot out of it, getting 28.1 mpg and if I was really good, saw as high as 32.4 mpg. Now we know that doesn't stay that way unless you were on a perfectly flat road the entire trip. But that last number was neat to see.....

When I got off the ramp, I did notice the idle was up very slightly when at a complete stop. Blipped the throttle lightly and came back down. This happen two times, maybe a third. Left the Fairgrounds to head back to the hotel, got off the ramp, came to a complete stop and all was fine. So we know that the throttle does not come back to the precise closed position each and every time. So it could have been a freak thing, because the rest of the trip which included coming home, was perfect. Except one time getting on the Pike, the throttle seemed to stick when accelerating for a second or two. And that was after sitting in line at Carlisle for an extended period of time waiting to get to the stage. May or may not be relevant to the situation!!!
Did it that one time and that was it.....after that.....excellent.....

Now the big news, when I first bought the Z almost 3 1/2 years ago, 6th gear felt useless to me for various reasons. Fast forward to now and 6th gear has a whole new meaning......
I can now accelerate in 6th gear at a moderate level, and downshifting to 5th of course gives us more power when and if needed.....it actually felt useful!!! the only reason I could think of is the recent plenum pull, where multiple items were addressed. Not to say that 6th gear is the end all, be all.....but what a nice difference from before and now, a very nice improvement.....

So we will have a constant assessment of the progress being made as it happens, being that you may always need a slight tweak here and there...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 08-28-2017 at 08:40 AM.