ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-11-2021   #21
rkreigh

Default Re: LT-5 motor issue

do a coolant system pressure check and I'm afraid you might find bad hg or certainly something dumping coolant into the engine which is no bueno.

I need to call Corey, I'd be a little surprised if he wouldn't work on the car.

Keep us posted!!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021   #22
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Injector housing bolts loose or gasket failure can pull coolant into the intake tract.
Myself and some others ran into a spate of that related to gasket failure. But, the gaskets from Jerry's Gaskets ended that fiasco! Never a problem since.

And, as a precaution, I use a little 3M gasket sealer around the coolant port between the head and the injector housing.

Finally, the bolts clamping the gaskets on both the intake manifold AND the injector housing, had a tendency to work loose. I learned this from someone on this site, and when I checked the torque on the IH bolts, sure enough they needed re-torquing. So, I put some BLUE Loctite on all of the threads before torquing down the IH or the intake plenum. The top of the motor hasn't been off in probably 8 years now - and no white smoke!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021   #23
jss06c6

Jim's beautiful 1990 is back to full strength.. there were a number of issues, none of which were serious, but caused very poor performance. Quick list below..

1. Dead Coil
2. Fouled #4 plug
3. Badly leaking #4 primary injector
4. Leaking Injector Housing Gaskets
5. Leaking Secondary Vacuum Solenoid
6. Failed Secondary Injector Relay Module

All repaired and now strong again!20210104_142652.jpg20210122_114551.jpg20210122_114536.jpg20210122_114452.jpg20210106_135837.jpg20210105_100350.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021   #24
JimBobTX

As a follow up to my original post, I wanted to report the final solution. I had the car hauled to Cross Flags Performance (Steve Schroder) and am extremely satisfied with the results. I would highly recommend Steve as a go to guy for performance issues, and probably any issue, as it relates to C-4's or especially our ZR-1's.

If interested I have posted below a brief history of my performance issue.

I purchased my ZR-1 at the Barrett-Jackson, Palm Beach, auction in the spring of 2018 and once I had it shipped home I discovered that in power mode the engine cut out and seemed to run on only some of the cylinders. Being dissatisfied with the performance I contacted the service manager at Corvette World in Houston. He told m that he was experienced with the LT-5 engine and could correct the problem. They had the car for 3 months and I was told that they tired a lot of different things, including new injectors and when I got the car back it didn't ruin any better than when I took it in. So for the past two years I just drove it occasionally with no expectation of being able to drive it in the Power Mode.

Earlier this month I took it to get gas and noticed a significant problem in performance and the engine seem to cut out or misfire in normal mode. After a few days I started the car again and this is when I noticed the white exhaust that had a faint odor of anti-freeze and posted my question about who to take the car to on this forum.

I took the car to Steve and he was able to fix all of my performance issues in the car. Unfortunately many parts for these cars are no longer manufactured, or even available anywhere, but Steve was able or either disassemble, and clean/repair, or locate used parts for what were needed to repair my car, and for that I am very pleased. If any one is interested interested in exactly what Steve had to do to correct my problems, I will leave it to Steve to explain the details.

All I can say for certain is that my problems were solved and I am extremely satisfied with the way the car performs, my interaction, and communications, with Steve during the repair and the ultimate cost of the work. I would highly recommend Steve for anyone needing help with the ZR-1.
JimBobTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021   #25
JimBobTX

By the way, I want to thank everyone who posted their suggestions here. I would have not been aware of some of the problems that were suggested and I would not have found Steve if not for the posts here on this forum. Thanks again.
JimBobTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021   #26
jss06c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBobTX View Post
As a follow up to my original post, I wanted to report the final solution. I had the car hauled to Cross Flags Performance (Steve Schroder) and am extremely satisfied with the results. I would highly recommend Steve as a go to guy for performance issues, and probably any issue, as it relates to C-4's or especially our ZR-1's.

If interested I have posted below a brief history of my performance issue.

I purchased my ZR-1 at the Barrett-Jackson, Palm Beach, auction in the spring of 2018 and once I had it shipped home I discovered that in power mode the engine cut out and seemed to run on only some of the cylinders. Being dissatisfied with the performance I contacted the service manager at Corvette World in Houston. He told m that he was experienced with the LT-5 engine and could correct the problem. They had the car for 3 months and I was told that they tired a lot of different things, including new injectors and when I got the car back it didn't ruin any better than when I took it in. So for the past two years I just drove it occasionally with no expectation of being able to drive it in the Power Mode.

Earlier this month I took it to get gas and noticed a significant problem in performance and the engine seem to cut out or misfire in normal mode. After a few days I started the car again and this is when I noticed the white exhaust that had a faint odor of anti-freeze and posted my question about who to take the car to on this forum.

I took the car to Steve and he was able to fix all of my performance issues in the car. Unfortunately many parts for these cars are no longer manufactured, or even available anywhere, but Steve was able or either disassemble, and clean/repair, or locate used parts for what were needed to repair my car, and for that I am very pleased. If any one is interested interested in exactly what Steve had to do to correct my problems, I will leave it to Steve to explain the details.

All I can say for certain is that my problems were solved and I am extremely satisfied with the way the car performs, my interaction, and communications, with Steve during the repair and the ultimate cost of the work. I would highly recommend Steve for anyone needing help with the ZR-1.
Jim, that's very kind of you. It was a priviledge to help you with your ZR-1! I'm always here for you for anything you may need..

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote