ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-19-2016   #21
MuRCieLaGo

Default Re: Am I ready to install my headers?

Did you have to heat the exhaust manifold bolts to remove them?
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016   #22
Demps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo View Post
Did you have to heat the exhaust manifold bolts to remove them?
No.

This may be redundant but:

Here's a suggestion: remove them with the heat shields attached. It takes removing the middle & back fenderwells, front wheels plus jacking the engine (2x motor mount bolts, air duct, & MAP bracket) up & down. You have to get at the bolts from both under & side. Requires/easiest-with a SHORT, ratcheting, flex-head 10mm open/box end wrench (use leverage to break bolt free initially if needed) plus a 10mm socket with assorted extensions & u-jt. Oh, and patience.

With both manifolds off: I would double nut each header stud (one at a time), remove it, coat it with thread sealer, & replace it prior to header install.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016   #23
MuRCieLaGo

Thanks a lot I'm taking notes right now!
Old 03-22-2016   #24
MuRCieLaGo

Alright.

Driver side is all done. I managed to put 15 out of 16 bolts. Should I do my best to screw the last one? It is doable, but pretty hard.

I did not need an o2 sensor harness extension. I had to (barely) use the hammer on #1 pipe.

Also, I did not put the locking washers of the Stage 8 bolts. Somebody somewhere said it is better that way. Was he right?

Is it me or passenger side seems to be trickier? It seems to be a pain just to unplug that o2 sensor.

Is it safe to unscrew some of the oil pan bolts (2), will I need to put some kind of seal afterwards?

Is the dipstick bracket only holding with one bolt?

Is it a big deal if the asbestos sheets touch the headers?

I did read somewhere that I will need to cut a heat shield... I did not cut any heat shield. Should it be a concern?

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 03-23-2016   #25
secondchance

Quote:

Also, I did not put the locking washers of the Stage 8 bolts. Somebody somewhere said it is better that way. Was he right?
Header gaskets will shrink a bit after a few heat/cool cycles requiring bolts to be retorqued - reason for avoiding locking tabs. Except for one bolt behind the dip stick tube. One bolt will be inaccessible after the dip stick is installed. Use a locking tab on that bolt.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #26
Scrrem

Quote:
Hahaha! Jeff made it very clear.

BUT,

Will I need to surface the headers flanges? It hasn't been answered yet.

And thanks Demps for the grommet tip!
I just had to pull my header back off last week and seal with the high temp sealer that Secondchance mentioned due to leaks at the flange on both sides. When I ran a file across the flange, didn't get much contact where the tube came through the flange. So may not be a bad thing to surface the flange if you have the capability, or just use the sealer.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #27
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Driver side is all done. I managed to put 15 out of 16 bolts. Should I do my best to screw the last one? It is doable, but pretty hard.
If they give out a prize for the most bolts installed, you'd surely be in the top 10! Mine are SW headers, if that makes a difference, and I was unable to get that many in. I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure I got at least 3/tube if not all 4 in some cases. No leaks w/ Jerry's gaskets and a smear of RED RTV...(just because).

Quote:
Is it me or passenger side seems to be trickier? It seems to be a pain just to unplug that o2 sensor.
Well...neither is a piece of cake. As I suggested, relocating them to the side is well worth the effort, IMO. (A couple bungs and plugs from Summit Racing, a drill and just a few minutes of welding, and the sensors can be mounted so they extend out toward the frame rail. (Mine are positioned so they angle slightly up; i.e., say positioned something like 85ยบ from the top of the collector; almost as handy as C-beam plates, and you tuner will love you!)

Quote:
Is it safe to unscrew some of the oil pan bolts (2), will I need to put some kind of seal afterwards?
Say, WHAT??? Well...for whatever reason, if you remove only a couple bolts and do nothing to disturb the seal, chances are you'll get away with it. RTV on the bolts before reinserting them has done wonders on other motors where pan bolts or timing chain cover bolts had to be removed/reinstalled. (Like I said...I have SW headers, and that never came up!)

Quote:
Is the dipstick bracket only holding with one bolt?
NO. It's held with TWO.

The reason for using the 'stove bolt' provided with (my) bracket is that square ~ 5mm long shank under the bolt head slides neatly between the prongs of the dipstick anchor tab.

When the nut is drawn up tight, the tab, with the help of the stove bolt shank, becomes quite rigid; securing the tube to prevent up/down movement as the dipstick is removed and reinserted. For that reason, I suggest the bolts at each end be installed loosely (at first) to align everything, and then snug up the nut on the dipstick end of the bracket first as the header bolt will index the bracket angle as you tighten the other end. (Trrrrust me! Twaz all thought out long time ago!)

Quote:
Is it a big deal if the asbestos sheets touch the headers?

I did read somewhere that I will need to cut a heat shield... I did not cut any heat shield. Should it be a concern?

Thanks for your help guys!
Hmmm..... I never had an issue with asbestos sheets on my 90. Something different, perhaps. But, just as a rule of thumb, and especially if the headers are NOT coated, it is best they don't come in contact: asbestos sheets were not intended for direct contact. If you have (ceramic) coated headers, there would be less of an issue (if any), for certain. Just my 2 cents!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #28
MuRCieLaGo

Paul, thanks for all your answers. My only concern now is the dipstick bracket. Didn't see the 2nd bolt yesterday. Hmmm...
Old 03-23-2016   #29
MuRCieLaGo

Thanks secondchance and Scrrem, I did not see your posts this morning. Too late for the seal though, (I've already done driver side). I will (try to) put locking tabs only on bolts behind the dipstick bracket.

Paul, there wasn't any 2nd bolt that holds the dipstick bracket. Should I put your homemade bracket before or after installing the headers?

The grommet was worn, but still there. Could have reused it.

How about the heat shields guys? I did not cut any heat shield yet. Did you?
Old 04-06-2016   #30
MuRCieLaGo

Alright,

Headers and chip are now installed.

I did a 40 miles ride and 90% of the Stage 8 headers bolts became loose. One of them felt in the street. I just tightened them back.

I hope it won't become loose again...