ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-03-2014   #21
Karl

Default Re: Thoughts on backfire?

I don't want to turn this thread into battle of the fuel injector manufactures/retailers.

Bottom line is I am going with the Accell units. There are at least two well respected LT-5 tuners not saying the best things about them. One is mentioned in this thread.

I am holding the receipt from FIC, purchase date 06/07/2010 "delphi new 92 zr1 2nd day." I did not technically have a bad experience with anyone at FIC. I just have a product of theirs that I am not happy with.

This is not a job I want to do twice, let alone once.

Later!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #22
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Will an exhaust leak cause backfire, when he's got a good burn in the cylinders?

If so, what burns? HC's? Will HC's light up SES?

Got SES there KS?
No sir, nothing out of the ordinary, other than the backfire. When I'm shifting somewhat slowly, it actually backfires when I depress the clutch during full-throttle acceleration runs. Marc says he's seen maybe 1 car in the past 15 years backfire at such high RPM.

2 changes occurred: the new exhaust and Marc reprogrammed the PROM to add fuel and disable the DFCO. I'm baffled and even Marc doesn't really have an answer.

Start watching the "ZR-1s FOR SALE" section, guys...
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #23
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I have had my Accel injectors since 08. Never a hiccup.
Same as my RC injectors since 07 never a hiccup
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #24
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I suppose you are correct but I have never heard of a failing injector on a 1993 to 1995 LT-5.
Karl,

I have a 94 and my injectors went bad.
secondchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #25
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Karl,

I have a 94 and my injectors went bad.
When and what did you replace them with?
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #26
Schrade

Looks like an injector debate thread is in order.

OP probably isn't too concerned with that debate ATM.

==========================================
KS; you do static FP tests? Leakdown time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fuse circuit overload is a concrete clue. Maybe start there, to that thread...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #27
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Looks like an injector debate thread is in order.

OP probably isn't too concerned with that debate ATM.

==========================================
KS; you do static FP tests? Leakdown time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fuse circuit overload is a concrete clue. Maybe start there, to that thread...
Thanks Schrade, you're spot-on there! Frankly, I'm amazed with the track these threads often take. Anybody remember the exercise in 3rd grade where the teacher whispers to the 1st kid a topic and each kid then whispers to the next his take on said topic? What comes out of the mouth of the 30th kid is a million miles from what the teacher originally said. Good example: go check out my 4.10 gear thread. I'm still sorry I posted that thing.

Nope, the tests you mention are Greek to me. I let Bill handle all that, as I really just want to drive and enjoy the car. The fuse deal isn't related, though; that started when I got the engine compartment wet on Tuesday.
Old 08-03-2014   #28
PhillipsLT5

header bolts loose?, manufacture of header gasket?
You were not enjoying the no cat smell, maybe cats will eliminate back fire?
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #29
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
header bolts loose?, manufacture of header gasket?
You were not enjoying the no cat smell, maybe cats will eliminate back fire?
Hey Phil, yeah no indication that it's an exhaust leak at this point. Adding fuel or cats would only mask the problem; there's something else that's causing it. Marc suggested injectors and I just talked to Bill and he did, too. But my point is that the injectors seemed fine a few weeks ago, there was no backfiring with my old straight-pipe exhaust system. This is very frustrating, to say the least.
Old 08-04-2014   #30
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Hey Phil, yeah no indication that it's an exhaust leak at this point. Adding fuel or cats would only mask the problem; there's something else that's causing it. Marc suggested injectors and I just talked to Bill and he did, too. But my point is that the injectors seemed fine a few weeks ago, there was no backfiring with my old straight-pipe exhaust system. This is very frustrating, to say the least.
Bingo you will mask the issue.
If all is good,meaning you don't have other issues, I'm with Marc about injectors.

Here's an idea buy/install Accel injectors if it fixes your issue then return the FIC's for a refund if it does not fix the issue I'm sure Karl will buy them from you, at a discounted price jk.
Let us know the outcome.

I like to do injectors once since it's so involved to change injectors in our Z's plus gaskets.

Myself and all the fast Z's here in FBI land run Accels for the past 5-10 years no issues and they all run like Bat out of H@ll

I don't see battle of posts just exchanging ideas.
Agree to Disagree
Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage

Last edited by Pete; 08-04-2014 at 03:29 AM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote