ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-26-2014   #21
tpr60

Default Re: Speed sensor cause this?

My FSM is on loan right now so I can't reference it for codes. A/C codes are NOT available using the ALDL connector with a paper clip. You pull codes using the buttons on the A/C face plate above the radio, see the FSM on the procedure on which button to hold and puch. 09 code there is low Freon.

Codes 14 and 66 are ECM codes, refer to Emission section book for trouble code trees.
I found that most of the time the low coolant problem is a bad switch if the level is OK.
tpr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #22
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr60 View Post
My FSM is on loan right now so I can't reference it for codes. A/C codes are NOT available using the ALDL connector with a paper clip. You pull codes using the buttons on the A/C face plate above the radio, see the FSM on the procedure on which button to hold and puch. 09 code there is low Freon.

Codes 14 and 66 are ECM codes, refer to Emission section book for trouble code trees.
I found that most of the time the low coolant problem is a bad switch if the level is OK.
Thanks,

Here is the code list I found online which showed 66 as A/C. Thought it made sense since I have no Freon in the system. and 14 made sense since the low coolant level light is on as well.

If someone has better information on code 14 and 66, please chime in, Thank you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1991 #0663
LantanaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #23
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LantanaTX View Post
Thanks,

Here is the code list I found online which showed 66 as A/C. Thought it made sense since I have no Freon in the system. and 14 made sense since the low coolant level light is on as well.

If someone has better information on code 14 and 66, please chime in, Thank you.
14 - high temp coolant indicated

This is a pretty complete list all in one place with also the procedures to check everything using the controls in the car:

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

I maybe should mention ECM and CCM. I'm not familiar with a 66 for a '91. 66 for a '92+

Here's a link that displays codes by year and engine code '91/5.7J should be easily found. Rather than just point you towards the '91 I just posted the entire library:

http://www.troublecodes.net/gm/

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-26-2014 at 01:35 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #24
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
14 - high temp coolant indicated

This is a pretty complete list all in one place with also the procedures to check everything using the controls in the car:

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

I maybe should mention ECM and CCM.
Thank you,

Using the paperclip to jump the up two right pins, I got 14 and 66. On the list you sent via the link above, the only 66 I am seeing is DTC 66, A/C sensor, but that is '92 up and I have a '91.
Old 04-26-2014   #25
WVZR-1

Quote:
Thank you,

Using the paperclip to jump the up two right pins, I got 14 and 66. On the list you sent via the link above, the only 66 I am seeing is DTC 66, A/C sensor, but that is '92 up and I have a '91.
I added a second link and it agrees with the no 66 for a '91. I don't believe the FSM shows one either but MAYBE it's an FSM error. I certainly don't know! I believe I've seen 66 for a valet switch error posted previously. I would look further in that area I believe. Is your valet bypassed or non operational?

Here's a 10 year old post mentioning 66 for a '91 that was never responded to:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1547978885-post1.html

Here's where I recalled seeing it elsewhere and the bookmark was on a very old desktop:

http://teamzr1.com/ecmcode.html

Here's a post also from two weeks ago mentioning 66 on a '91 with no responses to the 66 code:

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showpost.ph...3&postcount=26

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-26-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2014   #26
LantanaTX

Thanks, the valet works fine. I did disconnect it yesterday when I took of the bezel off to get to he information panel and its missing lights. I turned the key on to check lights before putting it all back together. I will clear codes again and see what comes back.
Old 04-27-2014   #27
LantanaTX

I cleared the codes and almost as soon as I started it the Check engine light came on. Code 14. Then I drove to a car show last night 80 miles round trip and pulled the codes again this morning. Still just code 14.

During the trip Idle didn't drop below a 1000 until I came to a complete stop. A couple of time it didn't drop until a few seconds after was stopped. Also noticed the secondaries were not opening. I have good vacuum and am still suspicious of the speed sensor.
Old 04-27-2014   #28
WVZR-1

Quote:
I cleared the codes and almost as soon as I started it the Check engine light came on. Code 14. Then I drove to a car show last night 80 miles round trip and pulled the codes again this morning. Still just code 14.

During the trip Idle didn't drop below a 1000 until I came to a complete stop. A couple of time it didn't drop until a few seconds after was stopped. Also noticed the secondaries were not opening. I have good vacuum and am still suspicious of the speed sensor.
Address the code 14 - CTS

Why do you keep mentioning VSS - does the speedometer work? If yes the VSS is considered to be functioning correctly.

The 66 code never returned so that's behind you!
Old 04-27-2014   #29
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Address the code 14 - CTS

Why do you keep mentioning VSS - does the speedometer work? If yes the VSS is considered to be functioning correctly.

The 66 code never returned so that's behind you!
I mentioned the speed sensor because I read an old thread where that was keeping the secondaries from opening on someone's car. My speedometer is fine. Could code 14 stop secondary opening? What other things stop the secondaries from opening when linkage moves smoothly and vacumm is good?
Old 04-27-2014   #30
edram454

I have a 1990 and I recently replaced the VSS (vehicle speed sensor.). That sensor can cause lots of problems. when mine went out, my car idled differently. It would not idle down under 1000 rpm at a stop light, the secondaries would not come on, I was throwing suspension codes and check engine lights, car ran a little rough and definitely losing power. Fortunately for you, the 1991 speed sensors are cheap and plentiful. It was easy to replace so it is worth the effort. My car idles at a 1000 rpm and when it comes to a complete stop will go under 1000 rpm to 800 or 900 rpm.

I didnt realize who much power I lost until I replaced it and now this car is a rocket again. My car has mods and it is a stock cube car but runs very strong 405 rwhp. The speed sensor for a 1990 if you can get it, is around 300.00. Your 1991 should be around 50 bucks. Good luck.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote