ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-10-2005   #21
tomtom72

Default Re: Brake Pads

Thank you Jeff for the explaination and the pointers. I will put the brake fluid on my annual to do list from now on.

Thanks Tom for all that research material you shared!

This is great, I learn so much everytime I log on!

thanks guys!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #22
Patton

Jeff,

I ordered the Hawk HPS's 160 with shipping from tire rack. (front and rear)
I am going to change the pads this weekend, I have never changed disc pads before, I have done a drum though. I have a Haynes repair manual, it doesnt have ZR-1 specific instructions but I think I have the general idea. Any pointers or things to watchout for?
Thanks guys.
Old 11-14-2005   #23
WB9MCW

have the rotors checked for trueness..may want to rebuild the calipers..make sure they are smooth acting and not hanging up at all... may want to use the new one man bleeding tool then u can do all by yourself...rest is easy..gud luck
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 11-14-2005 at 11:42 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #24
Patton

Thanks buddy
Old 11-15-2005   #25
Jeffvette

Changing them out is fairly simple in the front.

Get the whole vehicle up in the air, so 4 jackstands (makes bleeding easier)

Remember to compress the pistons in with the old pad in place with a large C-clamp. You can pop the bleeder valve when you do this to make it easier, but make sure you have a rag over the top of it.

DO NOT TURN THE ROTORS, they are thin enough as is, and if they are currently warped, turning them will only make them warp quicker and easier, but new replacements. If your rotors are fine, use some fine grit sandpaper or emroy cloth to scuff the surface for the new pads.

Your seals should be fine, but do check your dust boots for tears or holes. If they do have holes, consider doing the seal kit on that caliper. I think they are around 15 bucks from GM.

Changing fluid, use a turkey baster (don't put it back in the kitchen drawer) suck out as much fluid as you can. Fill with new clean fluid and start either sucking or pumping to change the fluid out. I prefer the manual way as opposed to the vacuum kits.

Just take your time, make sure you have the right tools and it's fairly simple.

Rears, do not disassemble the parking brake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can change the pads without messing with it.
Old 11-15-2005   #26
cuisinartvette

Not to hijack, but Jeff you mentioned the rotors should not be turned...Are there stock replacements available?
Old 11-15-2005   #27
Patton

Na, thats not a hijack, relevant question.
TireRack has brembo replacement rotors for 52 bucks each (front) and 49 each rear. TireRack also has what I will get eventually, Baer Eradispeed 2 piece, drilled/slotted/zinc washed. dammit those look nice, and get great marks on radiation. $499 for both fronts and $479 for the rears, OUCH. Hmmm,... there are many other things I can think of spending a grand on before brakes that I might only need once or twice.
Old 11-15-2005   #28
Jeffvette

Yes replacement rotors are available from NPA, GM, Brembo or a few other places.
Old 11-15-2005   #29
Patton

What rotors do you recommend Jeff?
Old 11-15-2005   #30
Jeffvette

Probably the stock replacement Brembos. Not to bad price wise.

The baer Eradispeeds look nice, but I dunno, they see mto do fine when I've driven on a few cars with them.