ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-07-2005   #21
Patton

Default Re: California Smog Check

Quote:
Again, I think it is a matter of perspective. That said, if you find something offensive that you do not believe should be on this forum, then you should report the post rather than making threats, cursing, and calling people names.
I’m not the type to go tell mommy.

Quote:
My suggestion to you is that you take a breather, calm down, and get a good nights sleep. We all have bad days, and given time to calm down, we handle things much better.
My suggestion to you is that you stop trying to diminish the offensiveness of the comments in question. Doing so mixed with your past support of them just italicizes your biased view on the matter. Tomorrow if someone was to express similar views in a public or private medium, in person or indirect I will react with equal vigor and resolve. Don't tread on me.
Jim, I’m surprised at you, you should have respected the fact that the comments offended me, and removed them. You say I should have reported them,... Well hey it looks like they have been reported for some time now, loud and clear and yet they remain. Whether the method of reporting broke any rules or not is irrelevant, they should have been removed and/or edited the MOMENT you edited mine. I am appalled that you are allowing obvious racism to rear its ugly head here. What’s worse is you actually laughed at it,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor
Good sense of humor there.
Do you often chuckle to yourself about "innocent", cute and good humored racism

I ask you what is worse, racism,... or somebody that uses harsh language towards the offender? Jesus, I can't believe I have to explain this. You guys are pathetic.
Old 11-07-2005   #22
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton
I’m not the type to go tell mommy.
That is your choice, but there is a right way, and a wrong way to handle things. The forum rules spell out how to deal with problems, real or perceived. You can choose not to report threads/posts that offend you, however do not expect that any of the mods will even be aware of what you perceive to be a problem. The only reason any of this came to my attention is due to your inappropriate post/response which was in fact a clear violation of the rules. Similar behavior on a different forum probably would have resulted in a suspension at bare minimum, or an outright permanent banning.

Quote:
My suggestion to you is that you stop trying to diminish the offensiveness of the comments in question. Doing so mixed with your past support of them just italicizes your biased view on the matter.
Maybe it is because you are upset, therefore you are reading too much into things. My comment which you have quoted relates to two attempts on the posters part to be funny and lighthearted. The first being about Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger with the reference to his Terminator movie persona. The second in reference to an open border problem as a play on words to my original comment about California closing the border to keep him and fellow Californians in. I have reviewed their comments and my response, and find nothing inappropriate. You may feel that I am being obtuse, but I think that a later post upset you, and you are now lumping everything together. If you genuinely found either of the aforementioned offensive then you need to take some time and determine why you are so overly sensitive. The PC culture we seem to currently be in teaches that we should look for hidden meaning and root out any perceived offensive comment. However, I assume you are old enough, and have seen enough of real life tragedy to not be offend at the drop of a dime.

Quote:
Tomorrow if someone was to express similar views in a public or private medium, in person or indirect I will react with equal vigor and resolve. Don't tread on me.
Let me make this clear. You should have been aware of the forum rules prior to your last inappropriate response. You are aware of them now, and have been told both through a PM and this thread how to deal with real or perceived problems. If you were to respond in the same inappropriate manner again, rest assured you will not have posting privileges here for some time.

I hope that you can appreciate that our goal is to have an environment on the ZR-1 Net Registry Forum that everyone can enjoy. While we have an Off Topic section, and a few others not related to ZR-1's, the main thing that brings us here is the passion we have for the ZR-1. There is no room for personal attacks, cursing or threats. If you disagree with someone or don't like what they say, by all means speak up and voice your opinion, but stay within the forum rules. Otherwise, if you feel you must express yourself in an uncivil manner, do it outside of the forum.

Quote:
Jim, I’m surprised at you, you should have respected the fact that the comments offended me, and removed them. You say I should have reported them,... Well hey it looks like they have been reported for some time now, loud and clear and yet they remain. Whether the method of reporting broke any rules or not is irrelevant, they should have been removed and/or edited the MOMENT you edited mine. I am appalled that you are allowing obvious racism to rear its ugly head here. What’s worse is you actually laughed at it,...

After reviewing every post and word in this thread I can only see one comment that might be considered offensive to anyone other than the most politically correct sensitive person. The reference "All we want is to live around some English speaking folks" could be taken as xenophobic. I think calling it racist is a stretch since no derogatory comment was made about any group. You may think that I am splitting hairs since you probably see little difference between the distinction I am making. In my view, we throw around words like racist, bigot, etc., way too often where it does not apply, and more importantly I think it diminishes the meaning of the words for those who truly deserve to be labeled so. What the poster meant by his comment only he knows. If I had a sense that it was in fact a racial slur, it would have been removed since that would be a rules violation.
The desire to live in an area where people speak the same language is not racist in and of itself. For example I was in San Francisco a few months ago and went through the Chinese section of the city during a festival they were having. A comment was made to the affect that it is hard to do business there for anyone who does not speak Chinese. The person making the comment was making a factual comment, not a racist one. I live in an area of south Florida where the majority of people are Hispanic/bilingual and I enjoy living here. However, there are sections of Miami where older immigrants from Latin America & Cuba do not speak any English. If I were to say that I would not live there because the people did not speak English, it would not be a racist comment against Hispanics. It would merely convey that I want to be able to communicate with others as a course of living. It would not matter to me if the area was full of Swedish people who only spoke Swedish, I still would not want to live there because of the lack of communication.

Fransisco, so as not to be redundant I will make this brief. If you choose not to hit the report button, it does not preclude you from PM'ing me, or for that matter the person who made a comment you disagree with. However the rules are relevant and will be followed by anyone wishing to use this forum. We try to use discretion, and to date no one has been suspended or banned. Personally I would like to keep it that way.

JIM
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #23
Patton

blahblah: Jesus Jim,... you didn’t say anything new. Let me make myself perfectly clear.

To be honest, I’m not interested in what you have to say in the matter.
In your reply to the following comment;

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1
Hi Tom
Yes, still have the original cats on.
And Jim,
You don't want to piss off Ahhnold.
And yes the borders are open, especially to the south!
You said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor
Good sense of humor there.
It is unreal that I have to explain that the comment, "And yes the borders are open, especially to the south!" is offensive.

You thought it was funny... so of course you aren’t going to think they are offensive, you're just as guilty.

You should be ashamed of yourself, Jim,... Along with ALL of you who haven’t spoken up.

Last edited by Z Factor; 11-07-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #24
Z Factor

I have tried to take the time to rationally explain the forums rules, and my understanding of what has transpired in this thread when it went off it's topic.

Quote:
To be honest, I’m not interested in what you have to say in the matter.
Fair enough, you have made yourself very clear.

Any further discussion on this matter will be restricted to PM.
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #25
Patton

What else is there to discuss, Jim?

Last edited by Patton; 11-07-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote