ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-28-2018   #21
XfireZ51

Default Re: Scariest ZR-1 risks

Have it shipped. With 600miles on it and a 27 year old car, I would not drive it without going thru it pretty thoroughly. U could end up trailering it anyway.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #22
Bob Eyres

It sounds like the general consensus is to change all the fluids, get fresh tires, and do a good shakedown run, then head for home. That’s what I would do. It might be helpful to locate a good Corvette shop in the vicinity of the purchase to do all this, and take a look for other things while they’re at it.
BTW, when I bought my 91’ (with3Kmi.on it), I flew to LA with my son, bought the car, filled the gas tank, and headed back to south Florida. No problems, and the most fun I’ve ever had with the car........but that was 1994 ) Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #23
KFoster

I would be concerned about the injectors and tires. You can look at the tires, but if original they are probably hard as a rock. Injectors are a different story and seem to be pretty bad on low mile cars. Be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Passed on: 1984 930S (gray market), 1988 Mustang Coupe Trooper car(drag)
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #24
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Have it shipped. With 600miles on it and a 27 year old car, I would not drive it without going thru it pretty thoroughly. U could end up trailering it anyway.
I absolutely agree with Dominic but with one addition. Have it shipped directly to Marc Haibeck in Addison Illinois for a thorough going over. (Talk to him first though). Don't drive it much if at all until that has happened. That's what I did when I purchased my 20,000 mile '95. Had him change ALL fluids, replace the serpentine belt (which was hanging on by as few threads), and a number of other items. On a '90 he will, as others have noted, undoubtedly recommend replacing injectors and probably fuel system components. Also had him do a couple desirable mods like add a Hurst shifter and 4.10 rear gears while it was there. And definitely replace the tires if they are original. Save the originals for NCRS shows. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 01-29-2018 at 11:44 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #25
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3404eo View Post
Actually the price is right. I'd buy it to drive it anyway. I'm just not totally sold on hitting the road for a 2k plus drive quite yet. I bought a 73 Mercedes SL and immediately hit the road for a 2k drive without an issue. Also did it with an 86 Mercedes E-class and while I made it home, it did blow the head gasket literally 50 miles out.
600 mile Z....I'm sure the car is in showroom condition....I've always said, we see many corvettes for sale and follow some interesting sales,Ex-low mileage ones, heavily modded ones, rare colored ones.....

However, I find not even five percent of the buyers actually post what in fact they paid for the car at time of sale,auctions excluded,they post the final sale.....

Was yours an auction vehicle? Would you be willing to post final sale price....I feel in the future if the selling price was given with the asking price it would help in valuing the cars better...

Sent from my LG-TP260 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #26
Hib Halverson

a 600-mile '90 and you're going to drive it 2000+ miles. Well...

I'd run the fuel pressure tests in the FSM as a quick assessment of the condition of the injectors.

Then, as the fluids are likely 28 years old, I'd change all of it..brake fluid, power steering, coolant, engine oil, trans lube and rear axle lube.

Change the accessory drive belt.

Inspect all rubber hoses and replace as necessary.

The hvac might need service.

Road test the car to check brake function and service the brakes as necessary

Finally, the aformention tires ought to be replaced.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #27
Riviera

From a potential purchase standpoint I would be concerned about the statement "runs great". If it's only had 600 miles put on it in 28 years it hasn't been run much at all. Just my two cents. Showroom condition, maybe yes, but more likely no. How long ago was the gas tank flushed and who did it?
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #28
JThomas

All of the above, and let us know your route and progress, so that if or when you have a problem, we are there to help you.

Personally, I would trailer/ship it home. But understanding your enthusiasm, have it checked out before you get started, but let us know how the trip goes if you drive it, so we know you are okay or be there to help.

Good luck!!!
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #29
gbrtng

have it shipped, your cost will be less in the long run... you are in very shaky territory if you drive it.
Old 01-29-2018   #30
Dynomite

Default Running Scared

I would change Engine Oil and Oil Filter. I would check trans and diff oil. Take it for a spin after the engine oil change and make sure the temperature stabilizes.
I would not tell anyone what I paid for it

Then I would drive it home

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Hey Man,
Drive your ZR1 home, you'll be fine. I drove my ZR1 home from Wisconsin to Vancouver Washington. With only 1 issue, people staring.
Manfred E.....Black #906
If something happens on the road, have a friend with a trailer available.

All these scare posts takes the fun out of it. There have been many here who have ZR-1s with 20,000-100,000 miles that have not changed trans or Diff oil and some have not even checked the trans or Diff oil. And definitely not the clutch or brake oil change out and probably not the Coolant except checking that it is green. Those fluids are as old as the fluids in your 600 mile ZR-1 without the condensation from many cycles of temperature.

I have bought several ZR-1s and never really know what maintenance or fluids were used or the change intervals. Your 600 mile ZR-1 prolly has had zero changes and you know what fluid was used....That is a BIG Plus....exactly like my LT5 Crate Engine

Have Fun Driving that NEW ZR-1

The further you drive the ZR-1 towards home base, the cheaper the shipping charges become if the naysayers are correct

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-29-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote