ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-18-2014   #21
Marc Haibeck

Default Re: Bogs for a second and then takes off

Dominic,

I installed Bosch 13077 (similar to the OE sensor) and then the oxygen sensor performance was excellent. They solved the bogging problem.

In general, I think that the control system is not very good at fuel corrections that are greater than -10%. Then maybe it overshoots the adjustment and goes too lean. In the future when encountering the lean out problem, I'm going to adjust the AFR into the 13.2 to 16.1 range with my wideband and with the system in open loop. Then go to closed loop and make fine adjustments.

I have seen the deceleration trims in the 90's on some cars. I too think that it could be a fuel injector low flow limitation. Excellent oxygen sensors will help there too.
Marc Haibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014   #22
XfireZ51

Marc,

Interesting observations. Let me suggest you try the AC O2 sensor at some point. My experience and that of some others suggests it's more consistent and reliable. I have used the Bosch for a long time but more recently have found that for some reason performance deteriorates over time.
I wonder if the use of headers, creating a longer travel path for the exhaust, affects the accuracy of the Bosch.

Some questions:

1. Has your experience been w both exhaust setups or just the stock manifolds?
2.Is it coincidence that the "defective" sensor seems to be the one I have a harness extension on?
3.O2 voltage is small and the extra resistance doesn't work well w the signal from the Bosch??
4. If you still have the logs of those scans, what is the PW when you see the AFR spiking lean?
I'm assuming you're zeroing out the secondary injector delay on your secondary delete calibration.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014   #23
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
2.Is it coincidence that the "defective" sensor seems to be the one I have a harness extension on?
It very well might not be a coincidence. I'd think the quality of the components quite important. How long is the extension?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-18-2014 at 11:38 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014   #24
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
It very well might not be a coincidence. I'd think the quality of the components quite important. How long is the extension?
I use the wiring and connectors from used O2 sensors so my extension adds about 9" in length. Just thinking out loud if there is any correlation to which side of the motor the defective sensor is usually found. Also, if it happens w motors using headers (the reason for the extension) as opposed to stock manifold motors.
Given the very low signal strength used for the O2 sensor, perhaps the Bosch O2 is marginal in those situations. Or perhaps it works fine at first but then deteriorates over time.
The O2 sensor I am now using is the AC AFS-74. It looks more like a Denso sensor than the Bosch. When I logged the ACs v the Bosch , the ACs seemed to tell a bit of a different story re: BLMs. Motor appeared to be running leaner than I had observed before. Another observation is that the motor does not drop in and out of C/L. Once there, it stayed in C/L.

Last edited by XfireZ51; 10-18-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2014   #25
Marc Haibeck

Dominic,
Your question 1. I find that oxygen sensor performance is better on OE manifolds. The OE manifolds are designed to jet each of the four cylinders across the sensor. With headers usually only two cylinders are in the sensors path.
Q 2 and 3. Extending the oxygen sensor cable has no effect on the sensors voltage to the ECM. Voltage drop is determined by resistance x current. Ohm's law. The sensors's current is so low that if the cable was lengthened by three feet the voltage drop would only be a millivolt or two. An insignificant loss. Adding tape or sealer to an extension cable can cause problems. The sensor gets its reference air through the connectors. Only use crimp connectors.
Q 4. I have a nice scan of the fueling going falsely rich on deceleration. At 2300 rpm the throttle was closed. The FI pulse width is 3.2 ms, then the sensor goes to 898 mv, very rich. The sensor stays at about 880 mv for two seconds. Meanwhile, the FI pulse is ramping down to 2.0 ms. Then the sensor snaps quickly to lean. About one second later everything is normal with a FI pulse os 3.2 ms. The new sensor switches faster from rich to lean, without running down the FI pulse to the point to where the engine misfires.
I always set the secondary throttle opening delay to zero, even though it doesn't matter if the secondary throttles are not present. The delay is for the opening of the ports, not the fuel.
Marc Haibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #26
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Haibeck View Post
Dominic,
Your question 1. I find that oxygen sensor performance is better on OE manifolds. The OE manifolds are designed to jet each of the four cylinders across the sensor. With headers usually only two cylinders are in the sensors path.

Q 2 and 3. Extending the oxygen sensor cable has no effect on the sensors voltage to the ECM. Voltage drop is determined by resistance x current. Ohm's law. The sensors's current is so low that if the cable was lengthened by three feet the voltage drop would only be a millivolt or two. An insignificant loss. Adding tape or sealer to an extension cable can cause problems. The sensor gets its reference air through the connectors. Only use crimp connectors.
Q 4. I have a nice scan of the fueling going falsely rich on deceleration. At 2300 rpm the throttle was closed. The FI pulse width is 3.2 ms, then the sensor goes to 898 mv, very rich. The sensor stays at about 880 mv for two seconds. Meanwhile, the FI pulse is ramping down to 2.0 ms. Then the sensor snaps quickly to lean. About one second later everything is normal with a FI pulse os 3.2 ms. The new sensor switches faster from rich to lean, without running down the FI pulse to the point to where the engine misfires.
I always set the secondary throttle opening delay to zero, even though it doesn't matter if the secondary throttles are not present. The delay is for the opening of the ports, not the fuel.
I was unaware of the sensor sampling the air via the leads (i.e., though the wires) too. But, I can testify to the fact the sensor depends on the air it gets through the port where the wires enter the sensor.

After replacing one of my O2s, Just to add some reliability for "good measure", I sealed the sensor where the wires enter the sensor. I packed the area with RTV. Bad idea... That new sensor and one more failed in short order before I discovered my folly. So, I shelled out another $60 for a third sensor, and left the little opening alone. In the 5 years after it never failed again "AS IS".

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015   #27
StickWalker

I believe I found the issue. I did not realize how bad the TPS wire connector had become. I've replaced it and seems to be driving better

1991 #103 Black with Red guts. Secondaries delete with Haibeck Chip, Throttle Body Coolant Bypass, DVD/Radio
StickWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015   #28
XfireZ51

[QUOTE=StickWalker;220044]I believe I found the issue. I did not realize how bad the TPS wire connector had become. I've replaced it and seems to be driving better

Occam's Razor.
Old 02-20-2015   #29
Johnny5

"It appears that Z owners that is having the problem have in commons are: 1) the secondaries eliminated
2) Haibeck chip

How about the injectors. What injectors do you have currently installed. I have talked to Marc in regards to this concern and he has 2 1990 that are doing the same thing as well. He suspecting injectors. I'm going to data log and check the car out this weekend. Will let you know what I find out. We can make some changes to the fuel trim if need be."

I have a 1991 (27k miles) that is all stock so I did not delete the secondaries or have a chip. (The secondaries won't open up either) it currently has the stock injectors as well and I noticed my car bogs or surges when cold too! I'll see if it does this after changing the injectors. I just ordered the obd2 to obd1 conversion so i can see if I get any codes from my scanner.

Last edited by Johnny5; 02-20-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #30
StickWalker

I have new injectors from FIC that I installed this spring and maybe have 1000 miles on them now.
1991 #103 Black with Red guts. Secondaries delete with Haibeck Chip, Throttle Body Coolant Bypass, DVD/Radio
StickWalker is offline   Reply With Quote