Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-05-2014   #21
Kevin

Default Re: Exhaust thoughts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Well said "not the be all end all"

Rich, Yes
I have Jeal headers,old school B&B 3" system, w/SW X-pipe, Dynomax bullits, B&B mufflers w/C6 flapper mod.

Pete
Well in my new role I have to make sure I'm more even handed in my wording.

and before i was able to hit quote I hit edit on your post so if you see a "edited by" message you'll know why.
Old 04-06-2014   #22
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Well said "not the be all end all"

Rich, Yes
I have Jeal headers,old school B&B 3" system, w/SW X-pipe, Dynomax bullits, B&B mufflers w/C6 flapper mod.

Pete
So C6 Z06 tips and flappers work well on B&B 3" system? I am buying a ZR1 next Saturday in Denver and driving it back to Dallas. Car currently has the 3" B&B system and the current owner says it is really loud. I hope 12 hours of droning doesn't drive me crazy!
LantanaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #23
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LantanaTX View Post
So C6 Z06 tips and flappers work well on B&B 3" system? I am buying a ZR1 next Saturday in Denver and driving it back to Dallas. Car currently has the 3" B&B system and the current owner says it is really loud. I hope 12 hours of droning doesn't drive me crazy!
Pete is using the NPP actuators grafted onto the B+B tips and mufflers. Myself and BobG are using the complete Z06 tips/actuators grafted onto a set of
DynoMax UltraFlow mufflers. We "think" that the shape and the double wall thickness of the Z06 tip contributes to reducing the resonance level of the exhaust.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #24
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Pete is using the NPP actuators grafted onto the B+B tips and mufflers. Myself and BobG are using the complete Z06 tips/actuators grafted onto a set of
DynoMax UltraFlow mufflers. We "think" that the shape and the double wall thickness of the Z06 tip contributes to reducing the resonance level of the exhaust.
I also prefer the C6 tips. Are they all the same? Standard C6 looks like the same tips but are single out from muffler into two tips. Maybe these tips could be cut off the y pipe and used with the vacuum actuators and B&B mufflers? Is there a source for just the actuators? What diameter pipe is used on the actuators?
Old 04-06-2014   #25
XfireZ51

Quote:
I also prefer the C6 tips. Are they all the same? Standard C6 looks like the same tips but are single out from muffler into two tips. Maybe these tips could be cut off the y pipe and used with the vacuum actuators and B&B mufflers? Is there a source for just the actuators? What diameter pipe is used on the actuators?
You can't buy the actuators separately, at least not from GM. Piersburg is the source for the Z06 actuators but they are OEM and Piersburg distributors here in the US don't carry them. It would be interesting to find the source Billy Boat uses for their Fusion system. There are places in Taiwan that make very similar actuators but they don't sell onesey-two sexy quantities. The standard C6 tips look similar, but ur better off scoring a Z06 set with the actuators integrated already. Takes a bit of patience and research to find a set but I really like mine
and w NPP controls that mike100 or myself have put together, it makes for a really adjustable system.
Old 04-06-2014   #26
-=Jeff=-

Everyone's ears are different, everyone has their own tastes. I have heard a car with headers no cats, and Corsa and I tend to agree that it is not my favorite sound for exhaust. My favorite exhaust sound is on Bob G's car..period..

I have not heard another like his ever.. BUT I don't know how the drone would be to me inside the car. Drone and loudness are subjective. Unfortunately it seems there is a history in my family with tinnitus, so my ears are sensitive to some different levels of noise, it sucks.. so I have Corsa WITH Cats and headers. In the car I am comfortable and it does not bother me. I honestly think the cats help make the Corsa sound a bit better outside the car, but still not low and throaty. I love low and throaty but HATE the booming drone our cars produce, my ears cannot handle that

I have heard Pete's and Dominic's cars, both sound Awesome, but I cannot take the drone for very long (yes guys, I hear the drone with the flappers closed too) While the drone it cut in 1/2 or maybe more than half, it still bothers my ears. With the sensitivity of my ears I have to get something that is comfortable to me.

Growing old sucks.. glad I have decided to slow down the growing up part
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #27
XfireZ51

Jeff,

We'll have to see if the drone is mitigated by the NPP controls. Don't forget in Pete's and my car, you have cams in the mix too. My system is the same as Bob's except for the design of his X-pipe which could make a difference I suppose.
Now if I could just find a damn seat so I could drive my car.
Old 04-06-2014   #28
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
You can't buy the actuators separately, at least not from GM. Piersburg is the source for the Z06 actuators but they are OEM and Piersburg distributors here in the US don't carry them. It would be interesting to find the source Billy Boat uses for their Fusion system. There are places in Taiwan that make very similar actuators but they don't sell onesey-two sexy quantities. The standard C6 tips look similar, but ur better off scoring a Z06 set with the actuators integrated already. Takes a bit of patience and research to find a set but I really like mine
and w NPP controls that mike100 or myself have put together, it makes for a really adjustable system.
What about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301063337973...84.m1423.l2649
Old 04-06-2014   #29
-=Jeff=-

Right but I have never ridden in Bob's car so the drone may be the same to me
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #30
XfireZ51

Quote:
I think u could find a set of Z06 cutoffs with the tips for that kind of money.