ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-08-2014   #1
XfireZ51

Default Re: Help! Unable to rev past 5000

So it worked fine w Marc's cal changes but then it didn't. correct? You get a code if you don't let off because the ECM doesn't set a code unless the malfunction occurs for longer than 2sec. You're sure you are not getting a Code 64 or 44?
Cam sensor error is a Code 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskinzel View Post
I have a problem that has me stumped (not hard to do). I am unable to get the car above 5k. When it get close to that rpm it starts missing really badly. If I try to push past it I will get the camshaft sensor error, and the tach bounces from 4500 down to around 2000. This winter I removed the secondaries and installed Marc's chip. It runs great up to about 5000. I installed new fuel injectors last summer and it ran fine with those. I have installed a fuel preassure gauge. I have 42 psi on startup, and 50-51 psi at 5000 rpm. I have put on new Accel coils, new Delco spark plug wires, new spark plugs. Marc send me a spark controller and the problem is still there. I also have installed a new cam shaft sensor, but I only get the code when I don't let off when it starts missing. I have no codes being set.

I need more help from you smart people.

Thanks in advance
Chris
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #2
chriskinzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
So it worked fine w Marc's cal changes but then it didn't. correct? You get a code if you don't let off because the ECM doesn't set a code unless the malfunction occurs for longer than 2sec. You're sure you are not getting a Code 64 or 44?
Cam sensor error is a Code 17
I put Marc's chip in when I pulled the secondaries this winter. When I started driving it this spring it had the miss. I thought that I had bad plugs, or wires, or coils, Maybe plugged fuel filter of bad pumps. I have replaced or confirmed all of those items are working.
The only code I get is a 17 when I stay on it when it starts missing. I have replaced the cam sensor already to rule that problem out.

Chris
91 ZR-1 Red on Red #922
chriskinzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #3
WVZR-1

Quote:
The only code I get is a 17 when I stay on it when it starts missing. I have replaced the cam sensor already to rule that problem out.

Chris
I don't understand the code 17 - where did you get the diagnostics for a code 17 for an LT5 in the drivability?
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #4
chriskinzel

Oops. The code I get is the cam positioning sensor. I can't remember the number.

Chris
91 ZR-1 Red on Red #922
Old 06-22-2014   #5
vilant

Quote:
Oops. The code I get is the cam positioning sensor. I can't remember the number.

Chris
That would be ECM code 31. I know, cause mine just started popping up. I can rev to redline but I don't feel the secondaries kicking in. I'll be checking the connection soon, but I'll probably need a new sensor.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #6
RICHARD TILL

I`m all ears on this subject of code 31. I`m getting it too. I recently tied my secondaries open and got a chip from Mark H.. Was getting the code before i changed the chip. I`ve tried to troubleshoot it with a stored code and the service engine light off and got good readings. It`s nearly constantly on now so i`ll give it another try. Anyone know where the best/cheapest price is?
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #7
chriskinzel

I bought mine at NAPA for about $20. The one I took out was good, I was doing the 'throw parts at it because I'm stuck' thing. If you want, I will send you my old but still good one and you can see if it fixes your problem.

Chris
91 ZR-1 Red on Red #922
Old 06-23-2014   #8
vilant

Quote:
I bought mine at NAPA for about $20. The one I took out was good, I was doing the 'throw parts at it because I'm stuck' thing. If you want, I will send you my old but still good one and you can see if it fixes your problem.

Chris
Were you talking to me or Rich? That's very generous of you, Rich should have first dibs, but I'd have to pay you something if you were talking to me. A NOS one is worth @ $250.
Old 06-24-2014   #9
chriskinzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
Were you talking to me or Rich? That's very generous of you, Rich should have first dibs, but I'd have to pay you something if you were talking to me. A NOS one is worth @ $250.
Whoever needs it to verify that there sensor is bad. Just let me know. I already bought a new one, and it didn't fix my problem so I don't need it anymore. I would be happy to help a brother out.

Chris
91 ZR-1 Red on Red #922
Old 06-26-2014   #10
vilant

I cleared the code and have been driving it, no problems so far. I think it's a grounding issue (for me at least) as from time to time I do notice the DIC and Full Power light get slightly dim for a bit, then bright again. We'll see, maybe the sensor is starting to go instead. I'll clean up the ground connections and if it pops up again, I'll replace the sensor.
Did you figure out what was going on with your car?