ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-14-2008   #21
Nick

Default Re: 4 Post Lifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by key_on
Jim,

My ceiling height is 9 ft 6 inches (114 inches). My ZR-1 is about 47 inches. Looks like the runway height is 4 1/2 inches, according to their website. The manufacturer says the lift needs to rise 1 inch to release the locks, and the locks are 4 inches apart. I would like at least 2 inches clearance between the roof of the car and the ceiling. According to my calculations, that leaves me about 59 1/2 inches for storage below. I would like to put a Mustang (approx. 55 inches) underneath. So, I'm going to be close, but sounds like it would work. Based on your experience with the lift, have I missed anything in my calculations? I don't have enough wiggle room to make any bad assumptions. I do have the option to raise the ceiling in my garage, but would prefer to not do this.

Thanks,
Pat
Pat, I'm not sure you will be able to store a Vette/Mustang combo with 9 feet 6 inches of headroom. I have a full 10 feet of ceiling headroom in my garage, and my '55 Chevy/ZR-1 combo BARELY fits, due to the amount of rise needed to unlatch the lift locks. The key is really where the lock stops on the lift are located. I don't think the '55 Chevy is much taller than the Mustang.
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #32 - lapsed...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #22
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
I just place an order for the Ben-Pak HD-9 with these guys:
http://www.asedeals.com/garage_lift.html
Got it for $2,527 delivered to local freight terminal.
They have a garage lift sale going on now.
They claim Bend-Pak HD-9 prices will be going up on Monday next week.
Excellent buy! I think you will be happy with the lift. Let me know if you need any help.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #23
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by key_on
Jim,

My ceiling height is 9 ft 6 inches (114 inches). My ZR-1 is about 47 inches. Looks like the runway height is 4 1/2 inches, according to their website. The manufacturer says the lift needs to rise 1 inch to release the locks, and the locks are 4 inches apart. I would like at least 2 inches clearance between the roof of the car and the ceiling. According to my calculations, that leaves me about 59 1/2 inches for storage below. I would like to put a Mustang (approx. 55 inches) underneath. So, I'm going to be close, but sounds like it would work. Based on your experience with the lift, have I missed anything in my calculations? I don't have enough wiggle room to make any bad assumptions. I do have the option to raise the ceiling in my garage, but would prefer to not do this.

Thanks,
Pat
Pat,

I just went out to the garage and tried what you are asking.

I raised a 1996 Corvette to the next highest stop above a 55" car. The bottom of the deck is at 58" above the floor. The top of the Corvette is 109.5" above the floor. Allowing for 1" of raise to disengage the locks (which I did test) the lowest ceiling that would work is 110.5".

So, it sounds like this would work for you. =D>

NOTE: These measurements are for a Bend-Pak HD-9 lift. Another brand of 4-Post Lift may have a different level of the stops, and therefore may not work for you.

I will add that it is very scary the first few times you raise your car towards the ceiling. From where you are standing next to the lift, it LOOKS like the car is certainly going to hit the overhead. Even with my son standing back and watching the clearance, I was nervous.

Let me know if you need any other measurements.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #24
key_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z
Pat,

I just went out to the garage and tried what you are asking.

I raised a 1996 Corvette to the next highest stop above a 55" car. The bottom of the deck is at 58" above the floor. The top of the Corvette is 109.5" above the floor. Allowing for 1" of raise to disengage the locks (which I did test) the lowest ceiling that would work is 110.5".

So, it sounds like this would work for you. =D>

NOTE: These measurements are for a Bend-Pak HD-9 lift. Another brand of 4-Post Lift may have a different level of the stops, and therefore may not work for you.

I will add that it is very scary the first few times you raise your car towards the ceiling. From where you are standing next to the lift, it LOOKS like the car is certainly going to hit the overhead. Even with my son standing back and watching the clearance, I was nervous.

Let me know if you need any other measurements.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to make those measurements. That information helps immensely. And yes, I am going to purchase the BendPack, so I think I can count on the position of the locks being consistent. From the comparisons I've done on-line, it looks to be one of the best overall lifts. I'm sure the first time my Z goes up, I'm going to be sweating bullets. You can bet I'll make several dry run lifts without the car. You know what they say ... measure twice, cut once.

Thanks again.

Pat
key_on is offline   Reply With Quote