ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-08-2014   #21
Hog

Default Re: exhaust

Speaking of restriction which causes backpressure. "The 1993MY upgrades included going to an exhaust that reduced backpressure by 2" of hg(mercury) was responsible for 6 bhp of the total power increase" of 20 sae net hp.

When the Engineer responsible for the MY1993 power upgrades (Mr. Graham Behan made the above statements, he uses bhp(brake horsepower). I have no idea if a brake horsepower is the same as a SAE net hp or not. If a BHP=SAE net hp, then the reduction in backpressure by 2" of hg, was responsible for 30% of the 20 sae net hp upgrades for MY1993.

I think that many people swap out exhausts (myself included), because it one of the few ways to completley change the personality of a car. While power increases are often stated as a main reason, in reality the search for the desired audible characteristics are the heart of the matter.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #22
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Hey Schrade, Daryll (GoldCylon) had (probably still has) a Corsa resonator for sale. It's 2.5" but a totally straight-through design. Might be a way to reduce your drone without adding restriction.
Where's Daryll here...

How long is your Corsa resonator there D? What are the inlet and outlet centers in inches? THink it would fit behind my X-section here?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #23
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
have been looking at 3 inch exhaust from the headers on back. I have a flowmaster force II system and no cats. I have no drone but would not mind louder sounds. I found a place that would make me a stainless steel mandrel bend 3 inch system with mufflers (dont know which ones flowmaster two chamber??) for about 1200 or 1300 dollars. This would be with xpipe all custom made.

he then showed me a t-100 aluminum exhaust. It is 1/4 or the weight. It is amazingly light. If anybody wanted his zr1 to lose weight this is at least 100 pounds lighter. He could make me a t-100 aluminum complete exhaust for a little over 2k. It is the lightest exhaust I have ever seen. The complete exhaust, pipes, hangers, mufflers, xpipe is all aluminum and welded and 3 inch. This is a killer exhaust and very high end. am thinking about it. Anybody have a 3 inch exhaust with no cats?? how loud is it?? idle? full open throttle??

ed ramos #3028
I'll save you some money. I just took off my 3" Magnaflow system and went with catless Corsa (has got to be the loudest on the planet). Selling the whole system for $400 plus shipping.

It does drone but I dynoed at 430 to the wheels with this system so it flows very nicely.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #24
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
I'll save you some money. I just took off my 3" Magnaflow system and went with catless Corsa (has got to be the loudest on the planet). Selling the whole system for $400 plus shipping.

It does drone but I dynoed at 430 to the wheels with this system so it flows very nicely.
Quite possibly, the only sound better than an LT-5 with headers into a catless Corsa system at 7000RPM is the sound of someone saying, "Hey, you want this suitcase full of diamonds?"
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #25
Fully Vetted

LOL...NO DOUBT! It is an absolute hellacious sound. It sounds more like 10,000 rpms. Absolutely intoxicating...

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #26
1990 quasar blue

With the Corsa system is it the resonator that reduces the drone? I ask because it is straight through. I thought what really helped the Corsa be drone free was the fact that they only flow through one pipe in the mufflers.

Also I have SSW headers, random tech cats, and a flowmaster force II. I agree it's fairly quiet at cruise and idle but, it absolutely screams over 3500 rpm's. I couldn't imagine going louder. People tell me they can hear it coming 1/2 mile away if I'm getting on it.
1990 ZR1 #2574
Medium Quasar Blue Metallic
1 of 19
1990 quasar blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #27
edram454

I agree with both of you. the catless with headers corsa is the most raucous. That magnaflow is at a good price but I dont like the sound of magnaflow too much. I spoke today with a flowmaster engineer and asked him how I could improve the sound of my force II system. He said not to remove the resonator since this is what takes most of the drone out of the exhaust note. He said in tests conducted by flowmaster that the resonator hardly makes any back pressure and flows nicely. He said that he would change the 60 series mufflers that came with all zr1 force II kits for a series 40 two chamber muffler. He said drone would be only slightly increased but the car would certainly be much louder and especially under wot. I might try that since its only a few hundered bucks with custom tips. flowmasters have no fiberglass stuffing or anything inside that can over time wear out. I have had a few flowmaster systems in various cars and they always wore very well and looked great. the two chamber old school non delta force muffler is loud and sounds like a race car in wot. this may be the trick for less money.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #28
edram454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 quasar blue View Post
With the Corsa system is it the resonator that reduces the drone? I ask because it is straight through. I thought what really helped the Corsa be drone free was the fact that they only flow through one pipe in the mufflers.

Also I have SSW headers, random tech cats, and a flowmaster force II. I agree it's fairly quiet at cruise and idle but, it absolutely screams over 3500 rpm's. I couldn't imagine going louder. People tell me they can hear it coming 1/2 mile away if I'm getting on it.
Yes. The resonator is key to keeping the drone out. I would not remove it if you don't want drone. I would take out the cats and let that corsa sing!
Old 08-09-2014   #29
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 quasar blue View Post

The stock exhaust was designed to muffle sound, of course. But it was also tuned to eliminate the inherent resonance baked into our cars. It hits hard in the 1800ish RPM range and again in the 3400ish RPM range. The resonator was tuned to help part of it and the mufflers were tuned to help the other part of it. The exact details don't matter, but to answer your question somewhat succinctly, the Corsa system was designed in much the same way, except with much less restriction. What you have in the Corsa is a system that is somehow as effective at quelling resonance at all RPM as the stock system, but still causes virtually NO restriction. It is quiet at part-throttle but straight-pipe loud at full-throttle. Any exhaust can sound throaty or be "open" but in my opinion, the Corsa is brilliant because it just does everything right.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014   #30
edram454

true but.... the corsa 1300.00 compared with the two 40 series mufflers at 160.00. quite a difference.. might be worth a shot?