ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-22-2017   #21
mike100

Default Re: WAZOO Day Success 1/21/17

What an awesome 'mod'! Not too many things besides nitrous oxide add 100+ hp for such little effort.

For me personally, I had driven one of these cars new back in 1991 so I would have noticed the secondary malfunction. Now you can hassle BMW's and C5's with a little more confidence.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #22
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
I hope you guys realize how lucky you are to have so many knowledgeable members close enough to get together and do things like that... Some of us are stuck in ZR-1 desert land... The FBI bunch is the closest to me but still 5 hours away. Not like I can just scoot up there.. I'm gonna have to do something though to figure out my vibration that I have never been able to diagnose..
I know we all do, takes me 2 hours and 20 minutes from door-to-door and worth every mile plus some!!! Just being able to get together regardless of what vehicle is getting work done, it's just a fun time to see everyone and enjoy the day. And me being retired now, makes it even more enjoyable. Always stories and ideas floating around, and as mentioned before, a real learning experience.
Maybe you can post a video of your vibration noise and someone on the forum will be able to help you figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
What an awesome 'mod'! Not too many things besides nitrous oxide add 100+ hp for such little effort.

For me personally, I had driven one of these cars new back in 1991 so I would have noticed the secondary malfunction. Now you can hassle BMW's and C5's with a little more confidence.
Yes Mike your correct, it feels so much better than it did before. And our test drive wasn't even WOT, as the roads were still damp. And just the sound of the secondaries opening, ahhhh!!! I can only imagine and can't wait for the dry roads. I have a few roads near me that are open with just fields and hardly used. So you know where I'll be sometime this week!!!

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 01-22-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #23
Racinfan83

Quote:
Maybe you can post a video of your vibration noise and someone on the forum will be able to help you figure it out.
It has been discussed on a couple threads here before. I need to go find someone with a known good set of wheels/tires and try that first. Have not been able to do that here. I know if I drive up to Chicago I can find that help - but 5 hours up and 5 hours back means at least one night hotel and if tires/wheels aren't it then we opened another can of worms...
I just lost my DD to a hit and run on the interstate going to work - so having to spend more money I don't have to get another one. My biggest issues are lack of money and lack of time... Hopefully 2017 will be better then the previous couple years..
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #24
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Pics of the 94 after the trip home from yesterday....ready for a good wash and some dry roads....Am I going to have some fun this week!!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Tom,

Wash and wax is good for extra 5 hp and 1 mph trap speed.

Ironically I stopped by supermarket on my way back home from Westminster to pick up some eggs per my boss's request. After 10 min stop my car wouldn't start. She sat over night at the supermarket parking garage. I was too tired to do anything yesterday. This morning she started right up. You know what that means... Yes! Another plenum pull.
Anyway, once I got home, it was wash and dry since I can't stand to see the car dirty. After the wash, I decided to replace the ASR. I had been getting ASR service light for the last 2-1/2 years but has been procrastinating. But, with throttle limited to 1/4 travel, figured it was about time to see if a ASR assembly off of a LT1 car I picked up from Ebay would fit our Z. Sure enough, they are interchangeable. Now I have full throttle once again and no more ASR light!

Last edited by secondchance; 01-22-2017 at 06:20 PM.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #25
G8nightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Tom,

Ironically I stopped by supermarket on my way back home from Westminster to pick up some eggs per my boss's request. After 10 min stop my car wouldn't start. She sat over night at the supermarket parking garage. I was too tired to do anything yesterday. This morning she started right up. You know what that means... Yes! Another plenum pull.
Anyway, once I got home, it was wash and dry since I can't stand to see the car dirty. After the wash, I decided to replace the ASR. I had been getting ASR service light for the last 2-1/2 years but has been procrastinating. But, with throttle limited to 1/4 travel, figured it was about time to see if a ASR assembly off of a LT1 car I picked up from Ebay would fit our Z. Sure enough, they are interchangeable. Now I have full throttle once again and no more ASR light!
Sounds like the Vats system disabled your car.You have to wait 20 min and try to start again.
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #26
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post
Sounds like the Vats system disabled your car.You have to wait 20 min and try to start again.
Do you think? I locked and unlocked door and tried spare ignition key also.
With gauge set to read voltage, very time I turned the ignition voltage dropped from 12.4 to 12.2. I interpreted this as draw from the starter solenoid although it was not engaging.
Old 01-22-2017   #27
A1990

Starter.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #28
Jagdpanzer

With the voltage drop you observed appears the starter pull in soliniod is working but the motor circuit is not completing. Good chance its the main contacts or commutator brushes. How long have you been on this starter motor? Anyone know if rebuild kits are still available?
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #29
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
With the voltage drop you observed appears the starter pull in soliniod is working but the motor circuit is not completing. Good chance its the main contacts or commutator brushes. How long have you been on this starter motor? Anyone know if rebuild kits are still available?
2-1/2 years. I did drown it once...
Old 01-22-2017   #30
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Tom,

Yes Yun, it does need a wash for sure....and will use the spray detailer for that extra HP & trap speed.....lol

Well yesterday you and Jim did determine that the ASR could be the reason for the throttle not completely engaging. Good you replaced the ASR unit, glad it was interchangeable and worked to restore full throttle.
I once had a problem with the VATS due to using an inferior made key with the correct chip. Had to wait for a period of time, then used my key and everything was fine. Haven't had a VATS problem since. I know you probably had a different issue going on. But your Z seem to start ok yesterday on each attempt. Hopefully your starter is not shot after only 2 1/2 years.

Had a good ride home, especially knowing that the secondaries are now operational. Cant wait to do some WOT testing......

Your welcome to my starter if you do need it quickly, we can set up a meet point or I can ship it down to you.

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote