ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-20-2021   #21
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Re: Power steering hose replacements/substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Thanks Craig ....there is always something to do....hopefully I am getting near the end.....I think....

This is what Phil (Jagdpanzer) recommended to do with this bolt.....
"Tom,
When we R&Red Yun's power steering rack a while back the long chassis bracket bolt was real challenge to get out. This can be improved for future removal by inserting the bolt from the other direction with nut on the top side as shown in this photo."

I will have to look at that bolt today.....how much of a "gentle negotiation" did you need to do removing this bolt....as I don't want to put myself into a situation to where I can't get out.....
Once I had the nut off, I pushed the bolt up as far as it would go. Which I thought would be all the way out but it came into contact with the engine. So I reached in and was able to grab the head of the bolt and wiggle it to an angle like it was glancing off the engine. I then went back under the car with a Phillips screw driver and a hammer and gently tapped it and it came out. If you look at the block where it came into contact with it you can probably see a scratch mark where it rubbed against the engine as it was tapped out but nothing anyone will ever see.

I may take out the angle grinder and remove a thread or two off so it clears slightly easier going back in.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021   #22
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Unhappy Re: Power steering hose replacements/substitutes

Were any of you aware of that part in the FSM that says in order to remove the PS pump and reservoir from the engine, you have to take your top end off and send it out for porting? I missed that step, but that is what is happening. I cannot get the coolant tube bolts to budge, so I am taking the top end off and crating it in a few days to send out to Pete for porting. He was generous enough to offer to remove the bolts. I did not feel like breaking it down today, instead I was chasing some oil leaks on the underside and I have some pictures. Hoping for some answers I want to hear.

So there is a sensor right next to the oil dipstick tube that was wet with oil and has been seeping it onto the bottom of the pan. When I unplugged it, the connector was soaked in oil. So I am guessing this sensor has failed internally and is leaking oil. Is there an available replacement for this part? I had the same issue with the low oil level sensor which also appears to be leaking oil out the connector. Also, there is a block off just ahead of the passenger O2 connector that is wet.l and it looks very difficult to reach. One bolt might be reachable. The other one not sure about. I should not be surprised as the parts are 30+ years old.

I have been losing oil fast on small trips and it?s a collection of leaks from thes sensor locations and possibly the pan have added up together.

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 02-23-2024 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2021   #23
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
Were any of you aware of that part in the FSM that says in order to remove the PS pump and reservoir from the engine, you have to take your top end off and send it out for porting? I missed that step, but that is what is happening. I cannot get the coolant tube bolts to budge, so I am taking the top end off and crating it in a few days to send out to Pete for porting. He was generous enough to offer to remove the bolts. I did not feel like breaking it down today, instead I was chasing some oil leaks on the underside and I have some pictures. Hoping for some answers I want to hear.

So there is a sensor right next to the oil dipstick tube that was wet with oil and has been seeping it onto the bottom of the pan. When I unplugged it, the connector was soaked in oil. So I am guessing this sensor has failed internally and is leaking oil. Is there an available replacement for this part? I had the same issue with the low oil level sensor which also appears to be leaking oil out the connector. Also, there is a block off just ahead of the passenger O2 connector that is wet.l and it looks very difficult to reach. One bolt might be reachable. The other one not sure about. I should not be surprised as the parts are 30+ years old.

I have been losing oil fast on small trips and it?s a collection of leaks from thes sensor locations and possibly the pan have added up together.

Yep! And then some......

Sorry to hear this. Yes, top end porting is in the FSM. [emoji38] While you are in there tips!

See this post for one of your questions. I could not tell what you meant about the second one.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25144&page=2

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021   #24
secondchance

First sensor next to the dipstick tube is crankshaft sensor. My experience with oil leak around crankshaft sensor is due to "O" ring. I found slightly larger "O" ring.
Send me your mailing address and i will send you a couple.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021   #25
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
First sensor next to the dipstick tube is crankshaft sensor. My experience with oil leak around crankshaft sensor is due to "O" ring. I found slightly larger "O" ring.
Send me your mailing address and i will send you a couple.
Thank you for the offer. By the time I read this, I had already ordered the replacement sensor. It was about $15 through Corvette Central. I will keep your offer in mind though, could not hurt to have the extra O rings on hand. Maybe you or someone else could point me in the right direction for the correct terminal removal tool. My TPS connector literally came apart as I unplugged it. I have some pick tools but they are not the right kind to release these terminals. Top end is crated up and off to Pete. Turn One just got my rack and pinion today. Thank you for the new pressure hose, Craig. So this is what they look like without 30+ years of service on them. It looks too pretty to install!

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 02-23-2024 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2021   #26
secondchance

This should work.
https://www.jbtools.com/lisle-14900-...iABEgIBAvD_BwE

There use to be a GM connector website. If I find it, I?ll post it.

Is that for TPS?

Last edited by secondchance; 02-24-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2021   #27
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Thank you for the offer. By the time I read this, I had already ordered the replacement sensor. It was about $15 through Corvette Central. I will keep your offer in mind though, could not hurt to have the extra O rings on hand. Maybe you or someone else could point me in the right direction for the correct terminal removal tool. My TPS connector literally came apart as I unplugged it. I have some pick tools but they are not the right kind to release these terminals. Top end is crated up and off to Pete. Turn One just got my rack and pinion today. Thank you for the new pressure hose, Craig. So this is what they look like without 30+ years of service on them. It looks too pretty to install!

Your project is looking good Jamall! Glad to hear the hose made it okay and to your liking. Wow! A top end crated up for shipping too! It will be nice to have that new R&P too. Best wishes with your progress and can?t wait to see and hear when done too. [emoji1303]🤙🏼

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021   #28
1991 Corvette ZR-1

I know this topic has gotten off track a bit but rather than clutter up the tech section with multiple threads, I wanted to keep the bulk of my questions here. So it looks like I MAY be able to reach the oil pressure regulator block off plate bolts if I remove the water pump hose. I have silicone hoses installed everywhere else except for this last hose which I let stay due to how tricky it looked getting out.

I have looked and looked and the smooth hose clamps I would use to secure the new silicone hose in place look tricky. As in there does not appear to be a good angle of attack to properly tighten the hose end connected to the thermostat housing. Has anyone used the factory clamps on these silicone hoses? The water pump connection appears doable, it is just the end that slips over the thermostat housing looks impossible with using the screw type hose clamp.
Old 02-25-2021   #29
secondchance

Quote:
I know this topic has gotten off track a bit but rather than clutter up the tech section with multiple threads, I wanted to keep the bulk of my questions here. So it looks like I MAY be able to reach the oil pressure regulator block off plate bolts if I remove the water pump hose. I have silicone hoses installed everywhere else except for this last hose which I let stay due to how tricky it looked getting out.

I have looked and looked and the smooth hose clamps I would use to secure the new silicone hose in place look tricky. As in there does not appear to be a good angle of attack to properly tighten the hose end connected to the thermostat housing. Has anyone used the factory clamps on these silicone hoses? The water pump connection appears doable, it is just the end that slips over the thermostat housing looks impossible with using the screw type hose clamp.
One word of caution - my experience with silicone hoses are that they require periodic tightening. This may be caused by properties of silicone or type of hose clamps necessitated by silicone hoses. Either way, I prefer to avoid using silicone hoses where periodic tightening would be difficult.

I don't know exactly what you mean by factory clamp (type you compress two tabs to loosen?). I am using screw type clamp for coolant hose to thermostat housing and not too difficult to tighten from below.

Below is the hose clamp I am using for all silicone hoses.
http://www.breezehoseclamps.com/breeze/liner/
Old 02-25-2021   #30
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
One word of caution - my experience with silicone hoses are that they require periodic tightening. This may be caused by properties of silicone or type of hose clamps necessitated by silicone hoses. Either way, I prefer to avoid using silicone hoses where periodic tightening would be difficult.

I don't know exactly what you mean by factory clamp (type you compress two tabs to loosen?). I am using screw type clamp for coolant hose to thermostat housing and not too difficult to tighten from below.

Below is the hose clamp I am using for all silicone hoses.
http://www.breezehoseclamps.com/breeze/liner/
Yeah, the factory compression clamp. Good call on the shrinking of the silicone, looks like I am using the smooth hose clamps I have. Back on the creeper and under the car again to have a look. Do you mind posting a picture of your clamp placement on the hose connected to the thermostat housing? I am trying to have the hex head/ flat blade fastener side face out to the passenger side or point toward the overflow tank, so I can snake a tool in there to reach it, but so many hard lines and hoses in the way.

A long neck flat blade screwdriver snaked down to it from the top is tough. And I know these clamps need to be pretty tight or you can have a leak. I have found a flat blade screwdriver just deflects out of the slot once you require extra force to tighten it. Maybe I will play with some extensions and swivel sockets and the appropriate socket to reach that area.