ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-09-2014   #21
mike100

Default Re: brakes & rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomZR1 View Post
...,Sunday drives,car shows, a little street racing so it must handle 0-120,120-0,every once in a while
That was my attitude going into my C5 front brake conversion- I wanted a low dust street pad you could buy at the parts store down the street.

THE COMBO NOT TO RUN:
Wagner Ceramic (Thermoquiets) with $59 Chinese rotors. You can just see one of several cracks at 9-o'clock position:

Plenty of heat checking and hot spots:

This pad could not pass heat thru it and I would recommend a true semi-metallic. the ceramic ran hot- and this was just from street use. I probably ran these all of about 4 months. At least C5 brake parts are 1/2 the cost.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My current set up is Hawk HPS with EBC rotors (cast in the UK). The HPS dust, but this combo dissipates heat properly.

mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #22
TomZR1

Hey exfire,
Is it to soon to see if you like em,less brake dust,good grip?you said just installed.
TomZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #23
TomZR1

Mike,
Wow that's crazy,I think I'll go with hps and look for a high quality rotors.i like your rotors,do they make em without slots?
Old 03-09-2014   #24
Schrade

How'd the exhaust install go there Tomz?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #25
XfireZ51

Quote:
Hey exfire,
Is it to soon to see if you like em,less brake dust,good grip?you said just installed.
Tom,

Yeah it is a bit too early for a number of reasons:

1. Car is up on jackstands
2. Need to bleed brakes
3. Gotta install eBrake cable setup for the Z06 calipers
4. Still snow on the ground although looks like weather may be warming up pretty soon.

I did buy them from someone who had them installed on a Z06. He had switched out the OEM pads for the same reason. Too much dust. I asked about noise and he said these pads did not squeal.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #26
TomZR1

Hey schrade,
Haven't started on exhaust yet after brake job,shock install went good,waiting on captain z for actuator,should be Wednesday,then exhaust(will post pics)
Old 03-09-2014   #27
TomZR1

Check out centric pads & rotors from tirerack.com under brakes.looks and sounds high quality.
Old 03-09-2014   #28
mike100

Quote:
Mike,
Wow that's crazy,I think I'll go with hps and look for a high quality rotors.i like your rotors,do they make em without slots?
Looks like they do, but without the black coating- just standard replacement types. Double check the p/n and application, but EBC-UPR7009L, EBC-UPR7009R look to be 13" J55 rotor replacements. I would also consider Raybestos discs if you could find some old stock that was made in Canada or even a good set of used ones with a cut left on them.

I think in my case the cheap metallurgy of my rotors was worse than the ceramic pads- or maybe the combination of both. I had run the same Wagner ThermoQuiets on my old 95 LT1 car without issue, but it was on the oem rotor. That car was lighter and less powerful, but also had a weak brake booster and I feel it was just plain easier on the brake temps.

The experience I had above kind of put me off on ceramic pads, but I will try again on my C6 as I was able to get all for corners with GM Delco ceramics for $100 shipped on a promotion. The Z51 came with semi-mets, but I only street drive this car...but we'll see. If they also don't work well, I will never buy another set again, but if it works out, I'm calling the issue a cheap rotor metal problem.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #29
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I believe that there's a "LIMITED" which I'd guess is at their discretion, examples might be "reasonable" time/mileage, unusual wear with likely the first replacement not being an issue BUT subsequent replacements maybe catching the second look. If you presented the first pair and it appeared very uneven wear (implying maybe stuck caliper) you might be advised of the uneven wear and offered additional parts, you decline so "no problem" BUT repeat this in six months I'd guess the "limited" would apply.

If there's "unconditional" mentioned - different rules!
Yah, I was skeptical too. The gal I talked to seemed to think wear no mater what. We'll see

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #30
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
My current set up is Hawk HPS with EBC rotors (cast in the UK). The HPS dust, but this combo dissipates heat properly.

These look a lot like PowerSlot Rotors, same cadmium plating. I ran Powerslot Rotors with GrandSport Calipers and Performance Friction Z pads for a few years before I installed the 4 piston Brembos with big, hatted rotors.

It was more for the asthetics with the Fikses & LPE Aerobody than anything. The PowerSlot/GS Calipers/PerfFric-Z combination worked well for anything I ever did.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote