ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-24-2005   #21
bobbyhi

Default Re: Which Oil Filter do you use?

Just went out and purchased a Bosch 3401. I have never changed oil on the Z so this is a new experience for me. I am going to check on the ZR1Net to make sure I do things properly. Might seem petty to you "old time ZR1 fanatics" but it is a start for me.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #22
tomtom72

I remember my first oil change...man I thought the oil would never stop coming out! Bring lunch as it takes a bit of time, or at least it did me but then I'm a bit slow on things I've never worked on before.

Now after three changes I just open the drain plug and go do some cleaning around the motor for about 1/2 hr and toss the filter and put 8.5 back in with a new filter and leave for awhile & come back & check the stick to see what's up. I usually have to let it sit over night to get a good reading on the stick. There must be a lot of places for the oil to hang out before it gets to the pan? The 8.5 qts seems to get me to the full mark though.

Good luck, Bob! Bond with your baby!!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #23
bobbyhi

Thanks Tom---like the saying goes "this isn't your father's Oldsmobile"---I normally go to a Chev dealer by my house for changing the oil as they have a pretty good deal. Lube, oil and filter for $39.95 no matter what brand or how much oil is used. Good deal for the Z's. 8.5 qts of Mobile 1 and still only $39.95. I have the Z on jack stands with the wheels off for cleaning so I just figure what the heck. Might even change the brake fluid if I can find the bleeder valves. Haven't got that far yet.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
Old 12-25-2005   #24
tomtom72

At that price I would never do my own oil!!!!

The local chevy store by me gets $100 to do my Z with Mobil1!!!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
Old 12-25-2005   #25
bobbyhi

But like you said "bond and be one with your car". Plus it gives me something to do for the next 4 months.............
1990 #2405 White/Gray

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
Old 12-25-2005   #26
tomtom72

I just thought of this...while it's up on jack stands go to the local BMW store & get ya some of that Castrol TWS10w-60 oil. Let me look for the BMW part number. BMW P/N 07-51-0-009-420 oil 10w-60. That's what goes in the trans. Go to zfdoc.com & read the research they did on the trans lube. Ya need a 17mm allen wtrench to do the drain & fill plugs. Ya know what they say about the "while we're here" rule. You are under the car so you should become familiar with the trans also!

Tom
Old 12-25-2005   #27
cwmoss

And when you are changing the trans oil, I read, first make sure you can remove the filler plug before you drain the trans. It would be a trick getting the trans filled through the drain hole!!
cwmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #28
bobbyhi

Just put a new ZF tranny in last May. I'll check the fluid but won't change yet. Unless you give me some reason to.
1990 #2405 White/Gray

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
Old 12-25-2005   #29
tomtom72

Hi Bob, Oh, no I was unaware. You got time yet. Did you ever go to zfdoc.com? I went there to learn because alot of the senior owners said it is worth the read.

Just in case here is a summary of what I read there. The GL rating is specific, GL ratings are not forward or backward compatible, a trans that needs a GL4 can not use a GL5 rated oil & vice versa. The ZF in a ZR-1 uses a GL3 rated oil. The only GL3 oils approved for use in a ZR-1 trans are GM's OEM fluid and / or the Castrol stuff BMW uses in the M series motors. Mr. Bourdeau did a test of time in service vs wear and found that the Castrol stuff is a bit better at preventing syncro blocker ring wear than the GM stuff. No other fluids were tested as no other GL3 rated fluids exist?! They said that, not me.
Anyway, if you read the test results you get miles vs fluid lubricity degradation. It's interesting how quickly the fluids degrade to about 1/2 lubricity and at what milage it happens. I'm a bit conservative so Iam going to do mine every 10 K miles because at that point the Castrol stuff is down to 47% loss if I remember correctly. Anyway I think ZF even supported the testing done by zfdoc.com.

Just food for thought. I know for sure that there was a thread on CF/ZR-1 section about a month ago about this stuff and it was odd to me that all the people not using GM stuff or Castrol/BMW stuff had suffered trans failures. I was shocked at what people were reporting as to actual experience in real use out on the road.

Tom
Old 12-25-2005   #30
bobbyhi

The mechanic that put the tranny in races for BMW and he recommended using the Castrol so I went with that. I don't have 10K miles yet but it could be something to consider. Hey, this is my 100th post.....I'm a LT5 now. I finally made the "LT5 Club". Have to go open presents now....have a fantastic Christmas day. Rember the reason why it's the season.......
1990 #2405 White/Gray

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19