ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-19-2007   #21
Jeffvette

Default Re: Brake upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK
Maybe I'm not quite understanding Jeff. The way I read what you originally said was that the C6 Caliper/bracket would be too close for comfort on a 17 A-mold. So that led me to think I would need to go the C5 route.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb.

By the way Jeff, those calipers look sweet!
No worries.

You have three major components

1) Caliper
a) C5 base or Z06
b) C6 Base or Z51

2) Caliper abutment bracket, sometimes referred to as a caliper basket
a) C5 base or Z06
b) C6 base

3) C4 to C5 adapter bracket

The C6 Z51 abutment bracket pushes the caliper to close to the rim, since the Z51 uses a 13.4" rotor upfront compared to the base car with 13".
Old 11-20-2007   #22
kenthompson

Just got done (about an hour ago) with Stainless braided lines, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads, and GS front calipers. I'm hoping that makes a BIG difference.

I should have the brakes bled by tomorrow night, and will be able to tell.

KT

Too many for the sig.
kenthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #23
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthompson
Just got done (about an hour ago) with Stainless braided lines, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads, and GS front calipers. I'm hoping that makes a BIG difference.

I should have the brakes bled by tomorrow night, and will be able to tell.

KT
Kent, I'm not trying to be a wise guy but the GS calipers are a bit stiffer than our std J55's on our 90's. That's about the only difference, swept area of the pads is the same so there is no improvement in brake t/Q on the rotor. Fade resistance will proly be way up with the rest of the equipment you installed and the pedal firmness will be improved.

For actual better stopping power though the C5 or C6 stuff is the cheapest way to go but then we can't use our salad shooters without spaces(?)....that's what stopped me...well that and I don't do AutoX or track days with my car.

FWIW, I bought a DRM bias spring and I swear that $20 part did more for the feel on my 90's brakes than I would have believed. I have OE rotors & calipers and just changed out to the s/s lines + bias spring and added Power Stop semi-metalic pads...I am amazed that I can feel less nose dive and have a firmer pedal and I actually feel the rear brakes now, or at least think I do! The next part of this for me will be G/S calipers & D'ed & S'ed rotors which I hope will improve the pedal feel a bit more....I guess I'll see.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #24
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
No worries.

You have three major components

1) Caliper
a) C5 base or Z06
b) C6 Base or Z51

2) Caliper abutment bracket, sometimes referred to as a caliper basket
a) C5 base or Z06
b) C6 base

3) C4 to C5 adapter bracket

The C6 Z51 abutment bracket pushes the caliper to close to the rim, since the Z51 uses a 13.4" rotor upfront compared to the base car with 13".
So I would need the C6 Base caliper, C6 base abutment bracket and C4 to C5 adapter bracket?

Or if I went the C5 route it would be C5 or Z06 Caliper, C5 abutment bracket and c4 to c5 adapter bracket?
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #25
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK
So I would need the C6 Base caliper, C6 base abutment bracket and C4 to C5 adapter bracket?

Or if I went the C5 route it would be C5 or Z06 Caliper, C5 abutment bracket and c4 to c5 adapter bracket?
YEP!
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #26
kenthompson

Smile Re: Brake upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72
Kent, I'm not trying to be a wise guy but the GS calipers are a bit stiffer than our std J55's on our 90's. That's about the only difference, swept area of the pads is the same so there is no improvement in brake t/Q on the rotor. Fade resistance will proly be way up with the rest of the equipment you installed and the pedal firmness will be improved.
Yea, it does so far. Got it together tonight. Definately stops better now. I like the look a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72
FWIW, I bought a DRM bias spring and I swear that $20 part did more for the feel on my 90's brakes than I would have believed. I have OE rotors & calipers and just changed out to the s/s lines + bias spring and added Power Stop semi-metalic pads...I am amazed that I can feel less nose dive and have a firmer pedal and I actually feel the rear brakes now, or at least think I do! The next part of this for me will be G/S calipers & D'ed & S'ed rotors which I hope will improve the pedal feel a bit more....I guess I'll see.
Sounds like we will end up with the same equipment. I got the bias spring too. I have a touch of air still in mine, since I had the entire system apart. I'll get that out tomorrow. Now, just to seat in the clutch!

Too many for the sig.
kenthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #27
HIZNHRZ

What is a "bias spring"?
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #28
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ
What is a "bias spring"?
DRM, Doug Rippie Motorsports, sells them. It's the spring that is in that side chamber on the M/C....the place the Brake Light switch is screwed into...it alters the front/rear bias just a bit...gives a bit more pressure to the rear calipers than the OEM bias spring.

lookie here...http://www.dougrippie.com/

I swear to ya it was the cheapest thing I've bought for my Z and it does what DRM says it will do.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #29
RICKYRJ1

I did Jeff's C6 Z51 upgrade with Baer 2 peice rotors. I am happy with the set-up. Jeff is another story. LOL. He did a great job on the PCing and his adapter is a quality peice.
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #30
Jagdpanzer

Who has the best deal on the C6 base calipers and abutment brackets?
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote