ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-17-2018   #21
A26B

Default Re: Fuel Sending Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9T1 Red ZR1 View Post
Hello,
I just ordered FLS1102 from carid.com for $300.43. It is the complete unit with two pumps, fuel sender and float. It came to my house in PA in two days. They still show two in stock if you are interested. I haven't installed mine yet, I am in the middle of other projects right now.

Bill
Check the socks, both of them. The last batch of senders we received had split/torn filter socks. Since you probably can't get a replacement for the long one, may have to reuse the old one or go with a standard, short one. Not a problem if you do.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018   #22
spork2367

These are definitely going to be one of the next hard to find items. There was a place selling three on ebay for 311.00 a piece that I had bookmarked and they were all sold in the last week.

Does anyone know if you can get just the black piece that holds the long pickup up to the pump housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Check the socks, both of them. The last batch of senders we received had split/torn filter socks. Since you probably can't get a replacement for the long one, may have to reuse the old one or go with a standard, short one. Not a problem if you do.
Long ones are available. Just bought one last week.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018   #23
9T1 Red ZR1

Thank you for the information, Jerry. I will check the socks during installation.

Bill
Old 04-17-2018   #24
jss06c6

Carid does not show any.. Eklers has two in stock for $444 each!

Carid does carry racetronix pumps (walbro) for $89 each. Can these be retrofitted into the LT-5 assembly?

Jerry, do you carry the fuel pump gasket?

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018   #25
jss06c6

Found one and ordered from Parts Train ($378 shipped).

Refurbished the Sending Unit.

1. Carefully open the two tabs on the winding side of the potentiometer
Wiper Bow.jpg
2. Slowly lift off the winding housing by lifting away from the two tabs that have been bent open and ease off of the wiper shaft
3. With WD-40 and cue-tip or clean shop towel (blue paper), very carefully wipe the windings clean..
Sending Unit Winding.jpg
4. Then, using a new cue-tip or shop towel (blue paper), clean the wiper contact (brass). Mine was black with 27 years of junk.
Sending Unit Wiper.jpg
5. Gently flex the contact tip spring open so that you get a little more spring pressure on the wiper/winding contact (see photo under step 1)
6. Reassemble by slipping the housing back under the tab that was not opened and over the wiper shaft. Then bend the two tabs you opened back down to secure the unit.
Sending Unit Tabs Closed.jpg
7. Recheck full sweep on the potentiometer, making sure it reads steady at any point (no matter how much you move the float shaft side to side) and that it smoothly sweeps from 1.4 ohms (tank empty on mine) to 92 ohms (tank full on mine).
Sending Unit Test Connections.jpg

Note: I could get the sending unit to be erratic before opening and cleaning the potentiometer by moving the float shaft side to side, especially at the tank full position. Further, I could duplicate the lack of response in the top range of the sending unit. There was enough junk on the wiper contact and the windings to cause it to be erratic. After this rebuild, the unit is rock steady, no matter what the position of the float arm!
Old 04-17-2018   #26
HAWAIIZR-1

Great job and thanks for sharing with detailed photos and all.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018   #27
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss06c6 View Post
Jerry, do you carry the fuel pump gasket?

No, it's commonly available so no justification to tool up for it. Thanks for asking though.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018   #28
9T1 Red ZR1

Hi,
I typed in FLS1102 in the search and it shows two in stock. Before I bought mine, it showed three in stock. It seems that they are correcting their inventory.

Bill
Old 04-18-2018   #29
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss06c6 View Post
Found one and ordered from Parts Train ($378 shipped).

Refurbished the Sending Unit.

1. Carefully open the two tabs on the winding side of the potentiometer
Attachment 7309
2. Slowly lift off the winding housing by lifting away from the two tabs that have been bent open and ease off of the wiper shaft
3. With WD-40 and cue-tip or clean shop towel (blue paper), very carefully wipe the windings clean..
Attachment 7310
4. Then, using a new cue-tip or shop towel (blue paper), clean the wiper contact (brass). Mine was black with 27 years of junk.
Attachment 7311
5. Gently flex the contact tip spring open so that you get a little more spring pressure on the wiper/winding contact (see photo under step 1)
6. Reassemble by slipping the housing back under the tab that was not opened and over the wiper shaft. Then bend the two tabs you opened back down to secure the unit.
Attachment 7312
7. Recheck full sweep on the potentiometer, making sure it reads steady at any point (no matter how much you move the float shaft side to side) and that it smoothly sweeps from 1.4 ohms (tank empty on mine) to 92 ohms (tank full on mine).
Attachment 7313

Note: I could get the sending unit to be erratic before opening and cleaning the potentiometer by moving the float shaft side to side, especially at the tank full position. Further, I could duplicate the lack of response in the top range of the sending unit. There was enough junk on the wiper contact and the windings to cause it to be erratic. After this rebuild, the unit is rock steady, no matter what the position of the float arm!
And just to note, this is the early style assembly with the enclosed sending unit. The later style has a flat exposed sending unit.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018   #30
jss06c6

Good to know that! Wasn't aware that there was a revision to the design..