ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-04-2013   #21
Tony Davila

Default Re: WATER /METH INJ Dyno Run results

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
Do you have it spraying at a certain RPM , or just when you manually turn it on? ---
WOT, switch is vacuum activated. Zero vacuum = activation of pump.
Tony Davila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #22
Locobob

Thanks for making the effort to do this test Tony. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised but your results pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #23
Tony Davila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
Thanks for making the effort to do this test Tony. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised but your results pretty much confirmed my suspicions.
I know 2hp and 6 more pounds of torque is not impressive but the temp was 64 degree. When it is 95 plus outside the benefits may be more impressive as the cooling effect returns power that would otherwise be reduced due to hot air being ingested. I still think there is more to gain, I am not convinced that this is all. I will keep trying until I get the mix right.

I plan to retest this summer and will slowly increase my alcohol mix until it is pure methanol. I have to know if there is any more out of this to gain. I am still optimistic about this endeavor. At least I know this product will help clean my pistons and prevent detonation when it gets hot.

Last edited by Tony Davila; 02-05-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2013   #24
Tony Davila

Next test is with a larger nozzle. The kit comes with 3 nozzles for HP ratings. I am currently using the middle nozzle that is for 350-525 HP. My engine is at about 520 now. I am going to go to the bigger nozzle that is for 525-700HP range. Hopefully I will gain something more since my 350 is ingesting a lot more air than stock.
Old 02-07-2013   #25
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davila View Post
I know 2hp and 6 more pounds of torque is not impressive but the temp was 64 degree.
Those are gains at the peaks, it looks as though torque gains are greater lower down in the rpm range.

peace
Hog
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #26
Tony Davila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Those are gains at the peaks, it looks as though torque gains are greater lower down in the rpm range.

peace
Hog
Hog, you are correct. I had not noticed it but before until you mentioned it. I need the numerical readout of the runs instead of the graph to really analys the data. That explains perhaps why my car now blows the tires away in 1st gear when before it wouldn't even with my drag radials. Thank you for noticing.=D>
Old 02-07-2013   #27
RHanselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davila View Post
I know 2hp and 6 more pounds of torque is not impressive but the temp was 64 degree.
I've attended several dyno days and your results seem to be within the margin of error when no changes are performed run to run. So, I'm not sure your seeing any real change at all with the outside temp at 64 deg. I do however think you'll get considerably more power on a 100 deg day with the Meth than you would without it however I bet you'll still max-out below the numbers on a 64 deg day.

Hope to see you run the same test in Aug...

BTW - I'm probably going to install something like your system on my Turbo car just as an added safety measure.

Cheers,
RH
Founding Member #80
CM Lifetime Member #1093

1991 #383 Twin Turbo
1993 #099 Ruby, Jeal 368 w/Snake Skinner body
1961 White with Red Int
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #28
rkreigh

give the turbo a drink of alchy and it will love it.

I agree with Ron H. even shooting pure alchy on a non boosted LT5 which it will quench any detonation you are having, I'm not sure you'll see much of a gain. if your air fuel ratio is correct without it and no detonation, it will just "richen up" and not really pick up and HP.

you'll have to retune to take advantage of the alchy, or somehow increase the CFM of airflow through the engine to take advantage of the additional fuel. the "cooling of the intake charge density" is certainly worth some power in the warmer weather, but I wouldn't drown the car just yet.

run a wide band sensor to see what the air fuel ratio is and don't go any richer than 11.5 or so at WOT or you'll likely see the HP go in the wrong direction.

turning the boost knob is a whole 'nother story

boost loves alchy and supplementing the fuel supply to keep the car from running lean or just giving the additional cooling/octane rating to allow more boost does wonders.

I go from 13 psi on pump 600 rwhp to 800 rwhp at 17 psi with the pure alchy running full flow with a couple of jets on the TT Z06

my only worry is that if the alchy pump fails it will run lean in a hurry which is why I have an wideband o2 sensor that I can peak at and the IAT can pull timing before I burn a piston

the biggest thing I have learned is that 600 rwhp is the "practical" limit of a non drag radial tire (I run Toyo RA1 335/30/18) or hoosier 17 315 drag radials to hook up and even then it's "rolling on the throttle with a good touch to keep from just going up in smoke.

the traction control also can't react fast enough to "catch" the torque spike which can get exciting in the wrong way at WOT

need the boost by mph boost controller setup to really do this right and keep the power ramping up smoothly from 600 to 800 rwhp and bring in the alchy only up top. not setup to do that ..... yet
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #29
Locobob

If you do another dyno test Tony I suggest that you use the digital temp gauge and start each run at the same exact engine temp - this will cut down on variables. A hot weather test sounds worthwhile.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #30
Tony Davila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
If you do another dyno test Tony I suggest that you use the digital temp gauge and start each run at the same exact engine temp - this will cut down on variables. A hot weather test sounds worthwhile.
I was using digital temp gauge and also have wideband A/F gauge. Tomorrow I am installing larger nozzle and retest on the 18th Feb.