ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-12-2015   #21
WARP TEN

Default Re: I'd like to mod my exhaust, but it must be legal

As Gunny mentioned, I have posted a lot on my exhaust cut outs. There are a couple of pictures in my albums section, and here is a link to a thread about my switch hidden under the carpet.
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....xhaust+cutouts

There is also one picture of the cutouts themselves. I enjoy mine. Quiet and legal when anyone is listening and straight pipes when I want it. I usually drive around with them about one third open for a little rumble and close them when I come home so my wife doesn't complain about the sound. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #22
RussMcB

You don't have to lift the engine to install headers, BUT, it is very easy to do, and if you slip in a shim on the driver's side it gives you a little more clearance between the header tube and steering shaft. I had to dimple my OBX header tube to get desired clearance.

The Stage 8 bolts are kind of nice even if you don't use their locking feature. Their combo external/internal hex heads give you the option of using an allen wrench (especially nice with a ball head wrench).

Some O2 sensors have a longer harness, so no need for an extension. I think you can find the brand/model by searching here.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #23
MuRCieLaGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
As Gunny mentioned, I have posted a lot on my exhaust cut outs. There are a couple of pictures in my albums section, and here is a link to a thread about my switch hidden under the carpet.
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....xhaust+cutouts

There is also one picture of the cutouts themselves. I enjoy mine. Quiet and legal when anyone is listening and straight pipes when I want it. I usually drive around with them about one third open for a little rumble and close them when I come home so my wife doesn't complain about the sound. --Bob
Seems to be a great system, but I don't like the idea, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
You don't have to lift the engine to install headers, BUT, it is very easy to do, and if you slip in a shim on the driver's side it gives you a little more clearance between the header tube and steering shaft. I had to dimple my OBX header tube to get desired clearance.

The Stage 8 bolts are kind of nice even if you don't use their locking feature. Their combo external/internal hex heads give you the option of using an allen wrench (especially nice with a ball head wrench).

Some O2 sensors have a longer harness, so no need for an extension. I think you can find the brand/model by searching here.
That's definitely something that can be done as a winter project, not a late season project. At the moment I really need to find out which resonator/x-pipe is the best. Someone here said Magnaflow is the way to go for a resonated X-Pipe...
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #24
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Couple of things on header install.
Steering shaft interferance. The shaft may rub the headers. I shimmed the engine at the motor mounts, but wish I had dimpled the headers.
Dip stick relocation bracket. The headers interferes with the dipstick. Paul Workman makes a relocation bracket.
O2 sensor gets moved back a little. You'll need an extension for the wire.
I bought the Stage 8 bolting system, but the locks didn't fit properly. $75 wasted.
It all depends on which Headers you are installing.
With Stainless Works Headers none of the issues you mention exist.
The O2 sensor pigtail extension comes with the Stainless Works Headers and the Stage 8 Locking Bolts fit perfectly using either a socket or allen head wrench
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #25
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo View Post
Hi,

I'm pretty much an expert regarding the road laws where I live, especially regarding exhaust systems.

1. We do not have emission tests, never.
2. Our primary concern is the noise, it is measured by the police officer's ear only (sonometer has no value in court).
3. Police officer usually goes under the car to take some pictures of the modified exhaust system, if he suspects it is too loud. I don't think he'll be able to do that with my ZR-1 (too low and he is not allowed to use a jack).
4. I live in a 50,000 people city, nearest ZR-1 except mine is 200 miles away. So the police officers have no idea how loud a ZR-1 should sound.

Rule #1: I don't want to be harassed by police officers.
Rule #2: I want to mod my exhaust performance-wise.
Rule #3: A bit louder than OEM should be OK, they don't know the OEM sound of a ZR-1.

Project:

I want to install headers and I want to empty the catalytic converters.

Do you think it will much more noisy doing that?

I would like to simply install a full exhaust system, but I can't because it is much louder for sure (and it would have that aftermarket look). If you know an exhaust system that is as loud as the OEM (or less), everything would be fine buying it. But I don't think it exists.

Sorry about all the threads I've been posting lately, I just have too much free time now and I'd like to work as much as I can on the car.
My .02 on the subject

One setup I loved on my 93 LT1 car was longtube headers, no cats to factory cat back. It was loud at wot, and almost stock like in all other conditions and had 0 drone or resonance at any speed. That would be my suggestion (although with high flow cats) based on what you are looking to achieve.

regarding my car yes I do feel its loud at wot but to say its loud all the time would be an overstatement. Don't forget many of my videos on my channel are using a microphone on the back of the car to help capture the LT5s awesome engine sound. If you listen at 1:40 and beyond in the video you linked of my car.. listen to how quiet it actually is. it does NOT rumble and make noise all the time. far from it. I like to think of it as a Jekyl/hyde system where it can be quite tamed.. especially at cruise and relaxed driving and super angry on command .

here is a video of me warming the tires for fun.. from my iPhone from 15 feet away. Hardly obnoxious in my opinion... You can actually hear the engine over the exhaust through most of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keqajaZSp7g

Going with no cats may gain 1 hp but gain lots of stink and smell and will make the exhaust sound more 'raw'. Me I prefer a refined and toned sound even if it cost me some hp (admittedly a straight through system like corsa wasn't all that appealing to me but it was the silence at cruise that made me go this route along with the construction material)

I have lots of videos of just idleing and walking around the car Ill post one up for you so you can hear how it sounds from all sides. Still , my recommendation is Longtubes, high flow cats, factory cat back. It will sound much better than stock, well muffled, no drone or resonance, loud at WOT, and appear factory stock from the outside.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #26
edram454

i actually love you exhaust note so much i went and bought a corsa and had it installed with long tube headers and no cats. i have not heard it yet since my car is still at south georgia corvette but i will be picking it up in a week. corsa is the best exhaust i have heard. i removed my flowmaster force system. i found the resonator was very restrictive along with the three chamber flowmaster mufflers.

it was the sound of your car that made me go out and buy the corsa. i cant wait to hear it and with additional engine porting and a fidanza flywheel i should see more power along with more sound.

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #27
MuRCieLaGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
It all depends on which Headers you are installing.
With Stainless Works Headers none of the issues you mention exist.
The O2 sensor pigtail extension comes with the Stainless Works Headers and the Stage 8 Locking Bolts fit perfectly using either a socket or allen head wrench
Very good to know, but the SW headers are way, way more expensive. I think the OBX are worth the PITA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
My .02 on the subject

One setup I loved on my 93 LT1 car was longtube headers, no cats to factory cat back. It was loud at wot, and almost stock like in all other conditions and had 0 drone or resonance at any speed. That would be my suggestion (although with high flow cats) based on what you are looking to achieve.

regarding my car yes I do feel its loud at wot but to say its loud all the time would be an overstatement. Don't forget many of my videos on my channel are using a microphone on the back of the car to help capture the LT5s awesome engine sound. If you listen at 1:40 and beyond in the video you linked of my car.. listen to how quiet it actually is. it does NOT rumble and make noise all the time. far from it. I like to think of it as a Jekyl/hyde system where it can be quite tamed.. especially at cruise and relaxed driving and super angry on command .

here is a video of me warming the tires for fun.. from my iPhone from 15 feet away. Hardly obnoxious in my opinion... You can actually hear the engine over the exhaust through most of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keqajaZSp7g

Going with no cats may gain 1 hp but gain lots of stink and smell and will make the exhaust sound more 'raw'. Me I prefer a refined and toned sound even if it cost me some hp (admittedly a straight through system like corsa wasn't all that appealing to me but it was the silence at cruise that made me go this route along with the construction material)

I have lots of videos of just idleing and walking around the car Ill post one up for you so you can hear how it sounds from all sides. Still , my recommendation is Longtubes, high flow cats, factory cat back. It will sound much better than stock, well muffled, no drone or resonance, loud at WOT, and appear factory stock from the outside.
I listened to your car even before I bought my car. It sounds great on my 60'' TV!

But it is too loud for where I live. I even linked one of your videos on the 1st page of this thread. They are pretty strict here regarding exhaust noise.

Thanks for all your reviews guys!
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #28
C4Ray
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
No offense to you buddy, but I think you over did your ZR-1. The amount of money and time you invested you will never re-coup, and most people would never buy a crazy modified C4 ZR1, and IMO your Z looks almost like something made in Europe. And as I understand it, you are a Canadian Mr. Mom and stay home with time on your hands. But if you're happy, this is all that matters.

To the OP, I think Warp Ten has the best Set-up of all and his Z does not look so crazily pimped out like others here.

My $0.01
C4Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #29
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo View Post
Hi,

I want to install headers and I want to empty the catalytic converters.
You don't have a prayer on having a quiet car.

Even if you run stock mufflers with no cats and headers (the quietest combination) you will still find it very loud. Headers just open these engines up and the decibels increase a lot.

I did run the LS7 catalysts on the end of Watson headers with the StainlessWorks mufflers using a flap on one of the outlets. This helps IF you keep the flap closed. It is loud as hell if you open it up.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015   #30
C4Ray
Banned
BANNED

Warp Ten has the best C4 Exhaust Set-Up I have ever seen.
C4Ray is offline   Reply With Quote