ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-04-2012   #21
VetteMed

Default Re: A/c issues.

Those air-compressor powered vacuum devices really don't draw the level of vacuum that is ideal to be able to rapidly boil off any residual moisture. Better off with a used Robinair or similar on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
i have converted both my zs to 134. i bought a new accumulator and changed out all the o rings to new ones . i evacuated the system for 2 hrs to get all the 12 oil out . then installed the new accumulator put 2 oz of oil in the compressor 2 ozin the accumulator . then evacuated the system for an hr . closed off both valves to see that it held the vacuum. if it did then i filled with 2lbs of 134 that also had oil in the can . it can be a little fun trying to get the compressor to not kick off and stop the fill at first . but i just stopped the car disconnected the battery and started the car again(usually) only had to do this twice . i did the 90 5 yrs ago and its still cooling great .the 92 did this year and doing great also . you can get a air compressor operated evact unit from harbor freight tools for about 50 bucks which saves having to pay to have it evacuated by a shop . its really not a hard job to do just take your time oil up the o rings in the 134 oil before installing and clean all the threads of the connection points in the system before putting it back together . hope this helps
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #22
vilant

Thanks. What I would prefer is to pay someone to recharge the R 12. Although the test is $20, I would need to take a course to pass the test and I have no equipment, which would probably cost just as much as having someone do it. To convert it myself, although I'm great at taking things apart and putting them back, if it took you 8hrs for the job. It would take me at least 16hrs. So, I might save some money by buying all the equipment, parts, and tools necessary. But paying for it, will definitly save me time and headaches. Know anyone in PA or nearby that could help me out?
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #23
VetteMed

certainly, the most cost effective way to go, if you're paying someone, is to convert to R134, unless you get lucky and find a shop that has some R12 in stock.

Can't help you with PA, but maybe try posting in the Northeast section?
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #24
vilant

whoops, thanks, and sorry, didn't realize there was regional sections. BTW sorry for hijacking your thread Dave.
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #25
USAFPILOT

I just need more flow...still have the stock windshield.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote