ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-15-2016   #21
Dynomite

Default Re: Stuck!! No crank ! LF some input and help !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
another benefit is you don't need to use the clutch to start the car
As long as you are not standing in front of or behind the car
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #22
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
As long as you are not standing in front of or behind the car
Haha my first thoughts

If I may ask .. Assuming the car cranks jumping the purple wire , what would be the reason for not cranking with the key ? Vats?

If it doesn't crank then I guess it's time to pull the plenum. Again forgive me for not searching (and I will shortly) but should I rebuild the starter or are there reliable or preferred replacements ?

I am regretting not cleaning the contacts etc when I had the plenum off last year. I was a little intimidated by the plenum and removing the secondaries at the time and decided not to dive in further and just pull the starter.

On the bright side I have new wires waiting to be put on .. Can't be certain on the age of the current ones although the car runs great.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #23
Dynomite

Default Stuck!! No crank ! LF some input and help !

The starter Solenoid is getting current directly from battery when jumping purple wire..... no current loss through switches and connectors. The Solenoid jumps faster with more pressure on contacts.

Actually the total resistance in circuit is reduced by jumping and I = V/R

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-15-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2016   #24
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Haha my first thoughts

If I may ask .. Assuming the car cranks jumping the purple wire , what would be the reason for not cranking with the key ? Vats?

If it doesn't crank then I guess it's time to pull the plenum. Again forgive me for not searching (and I will shortly) but should I rebuild the starter or are there reliable or preferred replacements ?

I am regretting not cleaning the contacts etc when I had the plenum off last year. I was a little intimidated by the plenum and removing the secondaries at the time and decided not to dive in further and just pull the starter.

On the bright side I have new wires waiting to be put on .. Can't be certain on the age of the current ones although the car runs great.
I can't say for sure. Mine only left me stranded when the car was driven in traffic, clutch in/out a bunch. My assumption is that the wire is too small for the clutch and the resistance changes with heat
Old 08-15-2016   #25
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I will need to have someone in the car turning the key I assume to get it to fire?
No. You can turn the ignition key to the On position, (set emergency brake and put the car in neutral), then lift the hood and touch the purple wire jumper to the battery's positive terminal. The engine should start and run.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #26
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I can't say for sure. Mine only left me stranded when the car was driven in traffic, clutch in/out a bunch. My assumption is that the wire is too small for the clutch and the resistance changes with heat
I was lucky as I was driving home on a main road it stumbled with the ac on and she off when I was doing like 5mph but I quickly sticking in gear and turned the key and it fired up. After a little wot the hesitation disappeared and she idled great all the way home.

** update!**

I added a quality copper power wire (8gaw I think) to the purple wire in the harness. Starter engages perfect every time. Fired right up. I added some wired taped everything up , capped it and curled it within the cruise control bracket so it's out of sight. I will attach pics so people can see if it helps

So now , clutch switch is bypassed. Starter cranks with straight power. Any ideas what it could be ? Vats ? I assumed vats wouldn't let it crank or cuts ignition or fuel ?
Old 08-15-2016   #27
5ABI VT

Few pics .. Will add to the original post to help anyone if it might in the future who searches and comes across this thread. Thanks to all your guys help so far at least I am now able to fire the car up until I get it sorted out !

Harness under the ECM.

Purple wire

I added a 8awg quality wire I had laying as spare. Touching this to the battery positive terminal cranked the motor instantly.
Added a rubber cap and taped it and the wire later for extra protection. Easily hidden out of sight.

Now to figure out why the starter isn't getting power when I turn the key.. Hmm..

Last edited by 5ABI VT; 07-06-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2016   #28
RussMcB

You sound exactly like me 18 months ago. :-)

After doing the quick, temporary fix, I did the VATS bypass and relay mod and haven't had to use my hidden jumper wire since then.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #29
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
You sound exactly like me 18 months ago. :-)

After doing the quick, temporary fix, I did the VATS bypass and relay mod and haven't had to use my hidden jumper wire since then.
Let's hope i can end up like you! I'm still wondering about what it is that went wrong all of a sudden. I'll be happy if it fires up but it would be nice to know exactly what caused the issue.

I'm still trying to understand what the relay mod does exactly. I believe it bypasses the vats and the clutch switch (optional) ? I was nearby the electronics store and checked my pellet and got 6$5 ohms. I grabbed a resistor and will bypass that part of the vats for now
Old 08-15-2016   #30
Dynomite

Default Stuck!! No crank ! LF some input and help !

The relay mod if you are talking the relay mod I described in a Link.......only requires current to close the main points of the relay after which the main points of the relay pass current from the battery directly to the Field coils of the Starter Solenoid. The magnetic field created within the Solenoid is then maximum with maximum force on the Solenoid points created. The Solenoid points then pass maximum current allowed from battery to Starter motor.

Reconditioning the starter Solenoid involves cleaning/replacing the Solenoid points......and cleaning the plunger itself.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-15-2016 at 08:11 PM.