ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-17-2018   #21
G-Sting

Default Re: Which one should I take to BG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Take the ZR-1 of course. You’ll regret it and feel left out I guarantee you!!!
...And if you don't drive your ZR-1, I hear it'll completely jinx your driving on the KART course.

Safe travels.
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by G-Sting; 05-17-2018 at 12:25 PM.
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #22
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I've made 4 Mountain Runs from Chicagoland to (Knoxville area), included were 8 days running just to and from with a total of 12 days worth of brake dust and twisties and then to BG and home, and a trip to Carlisle. Plus, I've made 4 trips directly to BG for a total of 8 more full days driving, AND a trip to Bailey Colorado and back for a total of 32 hours to and from. I've put on 30k miles in 10 years, and now have 67k on her and never a moment's problems on the road. (And, I'm planning a to attend the Rocky Mountain Run in July.) Most comfortable road car I've ever experienced.

Everyone should carry an emergency "kit" including some basic tools: sockets etc, maybe a belt and extra oil, "WD-40 and duct tape" and maybe a spare alternator...just in case.

And, what better place to be than BG if something should break and need attention! The list includes alternators, brake servicing, coil packs, and a host of problems that were at least clearly identified to be dealt with later.

I recommend you take your family DD instead...

Jusssst KIDDING!
Of course bring the ZR-1!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-17-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #23
zr1assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I've made 4 Mountain Runs from Chicagoland to (Knoxville area), included were 8 days running just to and from with a total of 12 days worth of brake dust and twisties and then to BG and home, and a trip to Carlisle. Plus, I've made 4 trips directly to BG for a total of 8 more full days driving, AND a trip to Bailey Colorado and back for a total of 32 hours to and from. I've put on 30k miles in 10 years, and now have 67k on her and never a moment's problems on the road. (And, I'm planning a to attend the Rocky Mountain Run in July.) Most comfortable road car I've ever experienced.

Everyone should carry an emergency "kit" including some basic tools: sockets etc, maybe a belt and extra oil, "WD-40 and duct tape" and maybe a spare alternator...just in case.

And, what better place to be than BG if something should break and need attention! The list includes alternators, brake servicing, coil packs, and a host of problems that were at least clearly identified to be dealt with later.

I recommend you take your family DD instead...

Jusssst KIDDING!
Of course bring the ZR-1!
I can't disagree with anything you've said 😂
zr1assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #24
WARP TEN

To give you just a little more confidence in your ZR-1, Marc Haibeck and I were talking over lunch a while back about our ZR-1s--his 110,000 mile '93, my 75,000 mile '93 [now with 120k and another owner] and my 30,000 mile '95. We marveled at the fact that with a combined 215,000 miles on our 20+ year old cars neither of us had ever had a breakdown that left us stranded by the side of the road. I agree with Joe Thomas and Paul Workman that you should always plan ahead with regular maintenance, some spare tools, oil, parts, etc, a good spare [inflated to 60 psi], a AAA card and a credit card. But overall these have been very reliable cars and surprisingly comfortable to boot. On more than a dozen trips to BG, I always drove mine (about the same distance as from St. Jo). Only drove the Z06 after I sold the '95.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #25
Meanmyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Most comfortable road car I've ever experienced.
From my own experience and opinion, I can't agree with this more. Everybody talks about the newer cars (pre c7) being so nice on road trips and comfortable compared to the C4. My best friend has an '07 convertible and '08 Z06. Both cars have the highest optioned interior packages. Of course it is different from the perspective of the driver, but as a passenger in these cars it doesn't take me long to get "fidgety". Even though the C6 has "spades more" leg room width, I always feel like I am sitting on a kitchen chair. After a little while in the C6, I get "restless leg syndrome" something awful and can't wait to get to our destination.

By comparison, the C4, with its Recaro style seats, are like lounge chairs with support along the full hamstring to the "bend of your leg" area, with your feet sitting straight out in front of you. As a passenger in the C6, my feet are always up against the firewall, with me wishing I could stretch out more. If you don't believe me, ride shotgun in one for a road trip. I am not overly tall at 5' 10".

While the newer cars might have better suspensions, road noise absolutely pervades the interior of the C6 and I feel every bump, something that tends to wear me down. A stock ZR-1 has a cushy suspension by comparison. I guess I am a wuss in this regard, but I enjoy trips in the ZR-1.

Oh and lastly, riding shotgun in the C6, I hate staring at that flat wall of a dashboard. Very underwhelming style wise. OK, with those caveats, I do like all Corvettes.

Last edited by Meanmyz; 05-18-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #26
zr1assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
To give you just a little more confidence in your ZR-1, Marc Haibeck and I were talking over lunch a while back about our ZR-1s--his 110,000 mile '93, my 75,000 mile '93 [now with 120k and another owner] and my 30,000 mile '95. We marveled at the fact that with a combined 215,000 miles on our 20+ year old cars neither of us had ever had a breakdown that left us stranded by the side of the road. I agree with Joe Thomas and Paul Workman that you should always plan ahead with regular maintenance, some spare tools, oil, parts, etc, a good spare [inflated to 60 psi], a AAA card and a credit card. But overall these have been very reliable cars and surprisingly comfortable to boot. On more than a dozen trips to BG, I always drove mine (about the same distance as from St. Jo). Only drove the Z06 after I sold the '95.--Bob
Ya it's honestly not even the reliability so to speak that I'm questioning, it was just the fact of taking a 26 year old car on what will turn out to be about a 20-hour drive round trip. From everything I've always known about the ZR1 reliability is never an issue. But I think maybe I'm overthinking it , it should do just fine .
Side note are you going down to Bowling Green this year?
Old 05-17-2018   #27
zr1assassin

This doesn't look good...😠😠😠😠

https://ibb.co/bwi90d
Old 05-17-2018   #28
zr1assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmyz View Post
From my own experience and opinion, I can't agree with this more. Everybody talks about the newer cars (pre c7) being so nice on road trips and comfortable compared to the C4. My best friend has an '07 convertible and '08 Z06. Both cars have the highest optioned interior packages. Of course it is different from the perspective of the driver, but as a passenger in these cars it doesn't take me long to get "fidgety". Even though the C6 has "spades more" leg room width, I always feel like I am sitting on a kitchen chair. After a little while in the C6, I get "restless leg syndrome" something awful and can't wait to get to our destination.

By comparison, the C4, with its Recaro style seats, are like lounge chairs with support under the knee area of the leg with your feet sitting straight out in front of you. As a passenger in the C6, my feet are always up against the firewall, with me wishing I could stretch out more. If you don't believe me, ride shotgun in one for a road trip. I am not overly tall at 5' 10".

While the newer cars might have better suspensions, road noise absolutely pervades the interior of the C6 and I feel every bump, something that tends to wear me down. A stock ZR-1 has a cushy suspension by comparison. I guess I am a wuss in this regard, but I enjoy trips in the ZR-1.

Oh and lastly, riding shotgun in the C6, I hate staring at that flat wall of a dashboard. Very underwhelming style wise. OK, with those caveats, I do like all Corvettes.
I agree, I've owned them all, the c6 are the worst seats made, c7 a little better, c4 sport seats are by far the most comfortable!
Old 05-17-2018   #29
lfalzarano

Make sure you have at least 4/32 tire tread depth on all 4 tires.

Lou
Old 05-17-2018   #30
zr1assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfalzarano View Post
Make sure you have at least 4/32 tire tread depth on all 4 tires.

Lou
Brand new... but drag radials