ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-12-2009   #21
RICKYRJ1

Default Re: 95 convertable ZR.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Its one of the places that has ZR-1 parts on Fleabay.I remember the prices for the Z parts was outrageous.Ill look for it.As far as making a ZR-1 convertible.Id buy a clapped out ZR-1,complete car and lop the top off after the doors.Then Id but a clapped out convertible for the rear body and all the top hardware.But the car has got to have the wider body.The cheap GS flair is a short cut.You got my mind going now.Its about time somebody with some cash and the know how did this.This would be a great project but to put an LT5 in a convertible might be the wrong way to go about it.
I Agree, the past week I have been leaning towards converting a real Z for this project. The few nice converts I have found cost as much as a real Z. If I pick up a POS convertible then I'm dumping $ into fix her up and its still not the real thing. The wider azz is one of the unique things about the ZR1.
Anybody know of a shop that has the talent to do such a conversion? The time is right for this because Z prices are at an all time low. I have my eye on one now
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #22
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYRJ1 View Post
I Agree, the past week I have been leaning towards converting a real Z for this project. The few nice converts I have found cost as much as a real Z. If I pick up a POS convertible then I'm dumping $ into fix her up and its still not the real thing. The wider azz is one of the unique things about the ZR1.
Anybody know of a shop that has the talent to do such a conversion? The time is right for this because Z prices are at an all time low. I have my eye on one now
There are alot of places that could do this but if the money was there,Rad Rides in Illinois.This is one of the premiere shops in the country.Troy Trepaneir is an amazing fabricator.This could be the car that everyone is talking about if done right.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #23
RICKYRJ1

I have seen his work on the car show RIDES. Top notch. What do you all it would cost to do a conversion?
Old 09-12-2009   #24
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
I have seen his work on the car show RIDES. Top notch. What do you all it would cost to do a conversion?
Bend ova... NJ'ers are used to that, aren't they?
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #25
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Id give his shop a call and run this by them for a -ROUGH- estimate.Id venture to say when all is said and done your looking at between $40,000 and $60,000.Take a look at his website,Radrides by Troy.This place is in Illinois?
Old 09-13-2009   #26
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Id give his shop a call and run this by them for a -ROUGH- estimate.Id venture to say when all is said and done your looking at between $40,000 and $60,000.Take a look at his website,Radrides by Troy.This place is in Illinois?
Yes Manteno IL, my Corvette club toured his shop.. I would have gone, but had another commitment I could not get out of..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #27
Toyvet1

Ive wondered about it , start with a convertible or a Z ?

If Chevy hadnt extended the convertible top door over into the fender. To make it look right you have to widen the top door for the wide body and modify the Z fenders for the lid.

I'd think both ways are a lot of work and a boatload of cash, but what a cool car in the end.
Toyvet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #28
RICKYRJ1

Quote:
Well 40-60k plus the car is way above my pay grade. I was thinking 20 for a nice Z and another 20-25 to git it dunn.
Old 09-13-2009   #29
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Well 40-60k plus the car is way above my pay grade. I was thinking 20 for a nice Z and another 20-25 to git it dunn.
This is for both cars and work for the modification.I was thinking maybe $10,000 for beat ZR-1 and around $5,000 for the donor car.There are smaller shop that are well capable of doing this type of job.One such shop is in Bakersfield.Ironworks something.
Old 09-13-2009   #30
phrogs

Quote:

heres the deal, I am going to do this just out of principal, so its going to happen I just need to find the parts to do it.

If your willing to track down your cars Ill tell you Ill be willing to do the work hourly work charge will apply $65 and hour and you pay for the supplys ill do the work

Im thinking taking a ZR-1 and converting the rear end or taking a vert and swaping in the ZR-1 parts and doing the wide body conversion to the rear.

What it boils down to is if you really care about the Vin number you should'nt your making a custom car and its no longer of that original caliber anymore.
Your making the car what you want.

So even a raged out vert no motor or trans would be perfect and do the swap.

johnny

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.

Last edited by phrogs; 09-13-2009 at 07:52 PM.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote