ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-06-2010   #21
MB ZR1

Default Re: GS-D3 demise rumor,( again! )?

I put on the Nitto 555 in May and think they were an upgrade over the GS-D3 and a lot cheaper as well. Although the alignment was out on the rear end and the old Goodyears were badly worn on the inside so it was difficult to make a good comparison. The few times I got caught in the rain with 555s I felt they were very good.

1990 ZR-1 S/n 1096
MB ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #22
RICKYRJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
sorry for being absent from this thread after starting it!

Okay, now I want to thank everyone for the valuable input. I looked up Dom's thread about the C6/ZO6 wheels the other day. Thank you Dom for sharing the skinny.

Okay so that's two people that got it from G/Yr dealers that the D3's are history. I hate to say this, but wet grip means more to me than dry grip....yes I do use mine in the rain. Okay you can flame me but once you drive on D3's in the wet you really will not feel safe on many other tires. Not to start a debate, but if you watch F1 &/or any road racing the semi-wet tires in use today are almost exact copies of the D3 tread pattern. At normal public road speeds that pattern moves water to the side only and traps almost no water under the tread blocks. Okay, rant over. Sorry!
Please, please, please Mr. Goodyear don't do this.

Stupid Question session:
Why do we need to use spacers with the ZO6 wheels? To clear our rear calipers & suspension parts, right? If so, do we need 16 mm or can we go thinner?

Which kind of spacer is safer to use? Just a spacer that fits our studs, albeit with longer studs like hardened ARP or Moroso studs?

Or, I've seen spacers that have their own studs and holes to fit over the studs already on the hub....I assume that our stock lug nuts tighten into a counter sunk hole?

Sorry for all these stupid Q's.

I assume that the costlier way to do a wheel change is to call some one like CCW and have them make wheels in 18/19 with our offsets, right?

TIA

Tom
Hey Tom, I run the C6 Z06 OEM wheels & tires sometimes on my car. I went with a wheel adapter which has its own set of studs, works great! I first bought a 25mm but it was was to larger so I sent it down to CT Machining and Carter did a excellent job of taking them down for me. They are hubcentric and fit perfect. This was the best setup for me because I change between my 2 sets of wheels often (Kinesis show & Z06 DD) I have a extra set of 20mm wheel adapters (brand new) that I bought while Carter was working on my other set that you are more than welcome to have for free (I still owe you for the ride home from BG 09 ) They are the ones I was running on our trip to Mystic. They put the tires perfect to the edge of the wheel well. Let me Know. You can by a primo set of OEM Z06 wheels & tires for a 1k now and then you will always have a better choice of tires when needed.
Rick
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #23
ScottZ95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Hey Scott, 335's fit on an 11" wheels? I never gave any thought to going up that far in size as I thought it would have been over the wheels width's limit?
Others have already answered but check this thread for more details/opinions regarding running 335s on your OEM wheels: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ghlight=pilots
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #24
carter200

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYRJ1 View Post
I first bought a 25mm but it was was to larger so I sent it down to CT Machining and Carter did a excellent job of taking them down for me. They are hubcentric and fit perfect. This was the best setup for me. Rick
Ricky,
Thanks for the kind words and glad they worked out for you.

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #25
HIZNHRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYRJ1 View Post
Hey Tom, I run the C6 Z06 OEM wheels & tires sometimes on my car. I went with a wheel adapter which has its own set of studs, works great!
Ricky, do you have a manufacturer and part number for the adapter that has its own set of studs? It would be great to be able to interchange the ZR-1 and Z06 wheels.

Thanks.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #26
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ View Post
Ricky, do you have a manufacturer and part number for the adapter that has its own set of studs? It would be great to be able to interchange the ZR-1 and Z06 wheels.

Thanks.
I think you'd be better off with just the spacers as long as the lugnuts are openback. There's no issue with the exchange on the front hubs.

Last edited by XfireZ51; 11-06-2010 at 01:32 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #27
1990 quasar blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2 View Post
High speed with hardened studs shouldn't be any problem. Wheel studs should be easy find at GMPP or Jeg's etc. I'll try Nitto Invo's 285/18 & 345/19's these are the same as on my ZO6 and they stick quite well. All 4 tires can be bought for a little over 1K delivered. So for me it's a no brainer.......cept where to get the cash
Thank you Frank.

Can anyone comment about the added weight? The car only puts 380 to the tire and I believe rotating mass effects performance much more than if it was just curb weight. I'd hate to go backwards performance wise. Also, what do you guys think about the spider wheels vs. the five stars.
1990 ZR1 #2574
Medium Quasar Blue Metallic
1 of 19
1990 quasar blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #28
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 quasar blue View Post
Thank you Frank.

Can anyone comment about the added weight? The car only puts 380 to the tire and I believe rotating mass effects performance much more than if it was just curb weight. I'd hate to go backwards performance wise. Also, what do you guys think about the spider wheels vs. the five stars.
You may lose some acceleration due to the increase in tire diameter ~.5".
At 80mph indicated, I was travelling at 83(based on GPS), so the axle ratio will drop to something like a 3.33. 5 star!
Take a look at a thread by Hadi. He PS'd my car with both on there.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #29
ScottZ95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ View Post
It would be great to be able to interchange the ZR-1 and Z06 wheels.

Thanks.
Just FYI - I see a vendor over on CF has several sets of brand new OEM polished and clear-coated Speedline C6Z wheels for $795 and shipping.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...peedlines.html
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #30
KGV

Hi,

If the Z06 rims fit with spacers, would the new ZR1/Z07 rims fit?

RPO Q6A - Wheels, ZR1 sterling silver painted aluminum, 19" x 10" front and 20" x 12" rear

Thanks,

Ken
KGV is offline   Reply With Quote