ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-28-2021   #21
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Re: Intermittent growling and harsh vibrations in neutral

The pieces are slowly coming together. So a link from a previous thread for SRP extended length bolts is no longer available. Does anyone have an online source for proper length pressure plate bolts for OEM pressure plate to Fidanza?

https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8306

The remedy for ?combo 2? on page 1 appears to be a dead link now.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021   #22
A26B

I have ben able to call ARP & talk to an engineer, give them the dimensions of a particular bolt, and they could find it, when it doesn't show up on a website catalog. The only difference is the thread length. If you have even a picture of the extended length bolt, you can count the number of threads. Each thread is 1/16". Or, since you have the FW, measure just the threaded length for the bolts, not the full thickness of the FW, from the surface.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 10-28-2021 at 11:46 AM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021   #23
1991 Corvette ZR-1

I have really been dragging my feet on dropping the trans but I wanted to post a link to a sale of ZR-1 clutch fork studs. I think five or so of these were left when I bought mine. Looks to be a stock that was left over from when Power Torque was still open for business online for C4 parts. I got one just in case. The seller also sent me an email on torque specs and procedure for installation. Very helpful so I figured I would pass this along for anyone who wanted to get one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15372265233...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
Old 11-07-2021   #24
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Intermittent growling and harsh vibrations in neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
I have really been dragging my feet on dropping the trans but I wanted to post a link to a sale of ZR-1 clutch fork studs. I think five or so of these were left when I bought mine. Looks to be a stock that was left over from when Power Torque was still open for business online for C4 parts. I got one just in case. The seller also sent me an email on torque specs and procedure for installation. Very helpful so I figured I would pass this along for anyone who wanted to get one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15372265233...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Thanks for sharing. You are right, that is Jim Jandik (great guy) and I wish he didn?t retire, but we all gotta do it some day.

I hope you get the trans sorted out and not a big issue. [emoji1374]

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021   #25
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Alright, guys I am finally dragging my sorry butt out to the garage to do this. She is up in the air on jack stands. Trans oil drained, exhaust removed. Interior bits removed from the console and shifter. If I remember, the shifter needs to be in 3rd. I have a ZF Doc short shifter installed, so that should make removal a little easier. I think I need to remove the MAP sensor and let it hang free from the back of the plenum. The air filter accordion has been removed.

Does anyone have the part number for the Redline Shockproof transmission oil? I see this:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-5820...06605679&psc=1

But I have also seen where some have run the Redline 75w-140, but it does not say ?shockproof? on the jug, so I am guessing they are slightly different? Just want to make sure I get the right oil. With the right oil, I am also installing a ZF Doc oversized countershaft shim, so these two combined should dampen the gear rattle.

Bye the way, what angle do you guys get the engine and trans to dip to before you start breaking loose your bolts? I believe I remember reading from Pete that the engine can hang free once the trans is removed.

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 11-14-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2021   #26
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Just curious for those who have done this, how much of your shifter is still peeking through the trans tunnel before you attempt removal? Taking a break anyway after removing the C beam and tilting the engine trans assembly, so figured I would ask. I am running a shortened shifter by ZF Doc. At this rate, I might be done by Christmas!

Edit: Nevermind, she is out. I forgot how much fun this was on your back. I was going to install a new fluted bushing, but there is just no way I can get this back together and not get grease on the input shaft tip, passing through the greased TO bearing, before it seats into the bushing. I believe I am going to use the input bearing, instead.

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 02-23-2024 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2021   #27
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Found something that is not what I wanted to find. It appears to be parts of the input bushing on the tip. At least that is what I hope it is. Going to use a fine pick to see if I can remove it. Looks like the input shaft splines won this clash I hope?

Old 11-21-2021   #28
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default From bad to worse

Guys, I am in a rough spot. Someone has been in here already and installed an input bearing that appears to have started to let go. Also, from the pictures, the bearing does not appear to have been seated at the right depth. I knew someone had been in here when I noticed the wiring harness for the connections on the trans were free from the clip up near the vent tube. The f*****g genius also used some type of impact gun and over torqued the bell housing bolts. I was only able to get three of the eight bolts free and that was with an electric impact good up to 300 ft lbs breakaway torque.

So? I am screwed. I need a more powerful impact that is not air powered. Any suggestions? I am not even sure what I want to do now, had to walk away and cool off.

Edit: looks like I am buying a DeWalt 20V Max XR. 1200 ft lbs of breakaway torque versus the 300 I have now.

Old 11-21-2021   #29
A26B

1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021   #30
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
Found something that is not what I wanted to find. It appears to be parts of the input bushing on the tip. At least that is what I hope it is. Going to use a fine pick to see if I can remove it. Looks like the input shaft splines won this clash I hope?
Sorry to hear and see these woes. That input shaft tip doesn?t look right unless that is just angle of the photo. You might send the photos to Bill at ZFDoc for some input.

About the bolts, are you sure you cannot break them free with move leverage? Long torque wrench or pipe on the end? Damn, did they use red Loctite or something? Maybe some heat to the bolts? I would hate to put impact to it.
Best wishes.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote