ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-27-2020   #21
Erik

Default Re: Improving Steering Feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
Seems like it might be going in the opposite direction to what you want though?? (I.e if it is damping out small pulses through the wheel, isn?t it making the steering *less* communicative?)
Maybe.
What I want to feel is what is happening at the treads and the sidewalls. If this smooths out some roughness and bad info, then that's a good thing. From everything I can understand, the C4 is lacking structure. So things are moving and twisting that shouldn't be. All of that will muddy the signal from the tires. Plus, it seems like this thing fixes some poor wheel of control issues, which again should allow more direct info from the tires. So, to me, it seems promising. While it may not be adding back steering feel, it might fix some of the issues that effect what we are getting.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020   #22
Marc Haibeck

Relocating the battery to the rear storage compartment removes about 35 pounds from the front end. The ZR-1 has a 52 - 48% front to rear weight distribution. Relocating the battery will change the bias by 1 point. The revised weight distribution is 51- 49%, the same as a LT1 Corvette. A lightness is noticeable in the steering at low speeds.

An '86 to '87 Z51 steering rack might help. The ZR-1 rack is 2.75 turns lock to lock. The Z51 rack is 2.25 turns lock to lock. The tie rods are about an inch shorter than the ZR-1 rack. Tie rod ends with longer threaded ends are necessary to adapt it. The Z51 rack may be hard to find. Z51 was available from '84 to '89. My experience is with only the '86 - '87 unit.
Marc Haibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020   #23
conesare2seconds

I?m pretty sure the 91-95 Z07 and 1996 Z51 racks will fit the ZR-1 fine and as Marc says they are much faster. I?m not sure why GM used the base rack on the Z, maybe to prevent twitchiness at high speeds, but I prefer the faster rack.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020   #24
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Haibeck View Post
Relocating the battery to the rear storage compartment removes about 35 pounds from the front end. The ZR-1 has a 52 - 48% front to rear weight distribution. Relocating the battery will change the bias by 1 point. The revised weight distribution is 51- 49%, the same as a LT1 Corvette. A lightness is noticeable in the steering at low speeds.

An '86 to '87 Z51 steering rack might help. The ZR-1 rack is 2.75 turns lock to lock. The Z51 rack is 2.25 turns lock to lock. The tie rods are about an inch shorter than the ZR-1 rack. Tie rod ends with longer threaded ends are necessary to adapt it. The Z51 rack may be hard to find. Z51 was available from '84 to '89. My experience is with only the '86 - '87 unit.
Marc, do you know a quality steering rack rebuilder? Something like that should be done with more care then the assembly line types. Basically, I'd want someone to blueprint the rack.

Great idea on the battery swap.

Old 09-27-2020   #25
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by conesare2seconds View Post
I?m pretty sure the 91-95 Z07 and 1996 Z51 racks will fit the ZR-1 fine and as Marc says they are much faster. I?m not sure why GM used the base rack on the Z, maybe to prevent twitchiness at high speeds, but I prefer the faster rack.
Sadly, they got rid of the fast rack after 89.

The ZR1 was always meant to be the high speed GT in the line. Silly fast steering ratios aren't much fun when you are trying to keep your car in the lane at 180 mph.

The Z51 was always there as the sharp handling track star.

Last edited by Erik; 09-27-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2020   #26
Marc Haibeck

Hi Erik. Several years ago I used Turn One to have a rack rebuilt. The rack still works perfectly. However it came back sort of dirty on the outside.
www.turnonesteering.com
Marc Haibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020   #27
conesare2seconds

I?ve had a 95 Z07 and a 96 LT4 w Z51 and can say for sure the fast rack didn?t go away altogether after 89, fortunately. When I was doing a lot of autocross I scrounged up a Z51 rack for a third car that hadn?t come with it because my hands were so much busier than they?d been in my other cars. But I appreciate the benefit can go the opposite direction on a road course or at speed.

Last edited by conesare2seconds; 09-27-2020 at 08:11 PM.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020   #28
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Haibeck View Post
Hi Erik. Several years ago I used Turn One to have a rack rebuilt. The rack still works perfectly. However it came back sort of dirty on the outside.
www.turnonesteering.com
That would be disappointing. Doesn't effect what they did on the inside, but it does raise questions.

Old 09-28-2020   #29
secondchance

I too had my steering rack rebuilt by Turnone. Very nice folks and above all knew what they were talking about. I believe they offer power steering pump that reduces parasitic loss for C4 Corvettes also for racing application.
At the time I had an option of choosing any steering ratio but opted to stay with factory ratio. I had a 84 Z51 and the steering ratio was so fast that every time I sneezed on the highway, I was changing lanes.
secondchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020   #30
jss06c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Everyone knows my LOVE for the C-4 ZR-1.

While love is usually blind, it does not in this case, let me overlook the cars missing tooth or other imperfections.
C-5 onward build quality and updates are significantly ahead of the C-4 platform.
A C-5 Z06 is one of the most balanced Corvettes ever with a solidity making it feel it cut form an ingot.
Toss-ability that turns grown men into kids, but I no longer own one.

Yet I still own, and will ALWAYS own my Ruby.

My C-6 is a dream to drive. As solid as the C-5, but in a convertible!
NO Cowl shake top up or down.
No it does not rev like an LT-5, but just a joy to drive anyway.

I put a 6 foot 10 yes TEN client into a C-6 ZR-1 and he LOVES it!

Spend a day with a C-7 Z06 with a manual.
It is breathtaking!!
Tight inside and you can land fighter planes on the console, but still a blast to drive.

The C-8?
Best riding Corvette I ever drove. Yes EVER.
I will await a manual transmission, and if GM does not deliver it, I will find someone making a conversion.
I know I am not the only one who wants it with a clutch and shifter just for fun!

It is ok to be in love with more than one car.
Loving one, does not exclude the other.
Talking cars here folks, just cars!

Now back to the missing tooth car.................
and where is the key for that 427.................

Marty

I think I know that 6' 10" ZR1 guy Marty! He absolutely loves that car, even more now that it's pushing 800 crank HP!

Hope you are well!

Steve

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote