ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-15-2017   #21
George Maz

Default Re: Went to Cory's Today!

Daryl, can you furnish me a copy of the fix for both the Seat Belt & INFL REST lights steadily illuminated.

I know the previous owner cleaned the grounds, and they were checked again a year ago. I had Mark Haibeck install a brand new nos 1990 DERM module that I sourced from Europe, and now months later the lights are back. I think it's weather related, as I do drive this car occasionally...about 5000 miles this year, and I reside in a coastal salt-air environment. I'm not really into pulling bulbs, but I'm wishing I had.

FYI, there's a Texas company that will fix the 1990 DERM for $100 + shipping. Although, I had already bought the nos one for $350, and had a time constraint. A few weeks prior another nos module sold for $200, so prices & availability are unpredictable for this repair.

1990 DERM is a '90 specific part, but it's all 1990 corvettes, not just ZR-1...post airbag deployment it becomes hardset with a code, and cannot be reused.
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #22
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
About the old airbag, I have concerns about that as well, to the point where was thinking about replacing the steering wheel with one of those cool Momos.
I'd have more concerns about one of those new Takata air bags made in China that an older bag made in the US.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #23
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
He was very nice. I did expect a larger place, but I don't judge a book by its cover. My crane shop is small and not what you expect.
The question is do you have a liquor store attached to your crane shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
I'd have more concerns about one of those new Takata air bags made in China that an older bag made in the US.
No kidding. I'd have more concerns about one of those new Takata air bags made in China than I would no air bag at all.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #24
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Maz View Post
Daryl, can you furnish me a copy of the fix for both the Seat Belt & INFL REST lights steadily illuminated.

I know the previous owner cleaned the grounds, and they were checked again a year ago. I had Mark Haibeck install a brand new nos 1990 DERM module that I sourced from Europe, and now months later the lights are back. I think it's weather related, as I do drive this car occasionally...about 5000 miles this year, and I reside in a coastal salt-air environment. I'm not really into pulling bulbs, but I'm wishing I had.

FYI, there's a Texas company that will fix the 1990 DERM for $100 + shipping. Although, I had already bought the nos one for $350, and had a time constraint. A few weeks prior another nos module sold for $200, so prices & availability are unpredictable for this repair.

1990 DERM is a '90 specific part, but it's all 1990 corvettes, not just ZR-1...post airbag deployment it becomes hardset with a code, and cannot be reused.

Hi George yes I am/was aware that a 90 C4 and a 90 ZR-1 air bag are the same but the airbag is indeed a one year only. The problem is this was the first year of introduction of the drivers side airbag to the corvette as airbags were non mandated as required equipment until the mid 90s for all vehicles by federal law. Best case example of this is the rear view camera that was required on all vehicles MY 2016 and beyond.
I also remember your searching for a new DERM to solve your problem. I heard about a rebuilding Company however I had no idea who the vendors are or were. However I have seen a Company on Ebay that also rebuilds them. To date I don't know of a forum member who has gone this route with a rebuild.

Back to the 90 Corvette. It was damn impressive of GM and the Corvette to introduce an airbag into the 1990 model 4-5 years before it was required by Federal law so GM took a giant leap there. The problem that remains to this day and why it only affects the 90 MY only is due to the grounding points (CHASIS) GM used to ground the airbag impact sensors (accelerometers) along the frame points. GM changed this in the 91 model due to this problem and this why this fault problem or fault code only a problem in MY 90 years. Simply put the engineers changed the ground pathways

The impact sensors underside points need to be bare and devoid of rust and your living next to the ocean and the prevalence of increased rust bolsters my argument and this problem. The mating surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned and dielectrically greased to prevent rust intrusion after the repair or if you prefer maintenance is preformed. Then you should be about to rest the system.

I have found the articles I am looking for. I will scan them tomorrow and give them to anybody who wants them. the first article is the Fall issue of KING of THE HILL Volume 2 number 1 written by Gordon killebrew on pg 19 "S.I.R. Operation and Fault codes. The second article which details the maintenance repair is from the Heart of The Beast dated 2011 issue 3 26 by Michael Rierson "Inflatable Restraint Fault Correction" Pgs 10-13 with pictures.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 02-15-2017   #25
GOLDCYLON

First article

Second article

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 02-15-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2017   #26
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Back to the 90 Corvette. It was damn impressive of GM and the Corvette to introduce an airbag into the 1990 model 4-5 years before it was required by Federal law so GM took a giant leap there. The problem that remains to this day and why it only affects the 90 MY only is due to the grounding points (CHASIS) GM used to ground the airbag impact sensors (accelerometers) along the frame points. GM changed this in the 91 model due to this problem and this why this fault problem or fault code only a problem in MY 90 years. Simply put the engineers changed the ground pathways
The Air Bag Crash Sensor does not have to be grounded to function.....only grounded to assure it is in place to function. If it is not grounded it appears it is not in place....but will actually function if in place.

For the 1991 through 1993 the Air Bag Sensors do not have to be grounded to work in a crash....they DO need to be attached to the Frame Rails however. The Grounding on the 1990 was set up to assure the sensors were attached to the Frame Rails. If the bolts were removed from the sensors the sensor would pass as air bag deployable but would not actually deploy the air bag for obvious reasons. This explains why I got NO INFL REST warning on the panel when I totally removed the 1991 Sensor from the Frame Rail in my test.

I am now thinking the Air Bag Sensors on the 1990 ZR-1 will function and Deploy the Air Bag even if not grounded. The 1990 Air Bag Sensors will only appear not grounded/not connected on the panel as INFL REST indicating/suggesting the Air Bag Sensors are not installed when in fact they ARE Installed. To get rid of that INFL REST Indication on the Panel (as well as the Red Seat Belt Indication) requires the Air Bag Sensors be Re-Grounded. I am not going to jar the Air Bag Sensor to see if the Air Bags Deploy to test that theory.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #27
MickeyD

[QUOTE=Fully Vetted;257530]The question is do you have a liquor store attached to your crane shop?

Construction starts next week. However, Margarita machine is being delivered tomorrow in interim.
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #28
MickeyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
About the old airbag, I have concerns about that as well, to the point where was thinking about replacing the steering wheel with one of those cool Momos.
I think that is a great idea. Especially now that a 27 year old air bag may not work or do more damage to me deploying. Besides it gives me an original steering wheel with intact air bag. Now all I need is black 94 or 95 seats for my wide arse. 90 seats suck for that.
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
Old 02-15-2017   #29
MickeyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss06c6 View Post
Mike,

You made the right decision if you felt good about it! We did well with seat belts and no air bags for years. Our Z has shoulder belts as well, so I'd feel quite safe with a new steering g wheel without the airbag. Glad your happy with the fix, that's what counts.

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Btw, Steve, I don't remember if my '77 Nova with a massive 305 had air bags or not but, I quickly installed Jensen Triaxles!
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
Old 02-15-2017   #30
jss06c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
Btw, Steve, I don't remember if my '77 Nova with a massive 305 had air bags or not but, I quickly installed Jensen Triaxles!
[emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41]

Sent from my QTAIR7 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote