ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-28-2010   #21
rhipsher

Default Re: Powder Coating

The letters were also powder coated on with and air brush then baked. It wasn't cheap but I'm so glad I had it done. Greasy hand prints just wipe right off like non stick coating. A year later it still looks the same. John charged me $598 for it. The color was anodized silver. Tiger Drylac brand.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #22
FU

I like the L00k rhipster !
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #23
rhipsher

To me it was a no brainer. I wanted it to look good and last a long long time and not flake off after 5 or 6 years. I fell over backward when I saw the bill. But after I saw how good it look I forgot about the price.
Old 07-29-2010   #24
zr1nsxgto

Can the driver side cam cover be removed without discharging the AC?
zr1nsxgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #25
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1nsxgto View Post
Can the driver side cam cover be removed without discharging the AC?
Absolutely! Just unbolt the compessor and move it out of you way. It's all one assy.

Here's what it looks like when everything is off and ready to go to the powder coaters. http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=100_0014.flv
Old 07-29-2010   #26
LGAFF

I am trying out a guy locally, he is doing my Dymags, he offered to do a plenum for $100-$150
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #27
Alberta_ZR1

As a "newbie" to the ZR-1, I have a few questions about powder coating the plenum etc.

I don't have the luxury of using some of these amazing shops that have been shown on the forum, so I'm hoping to get my stuff powder coated this winter by a local shop. I have been doing some research of local shops to see who does the best work and was looking for suggestions on what all I should look for in their powder coating practice? I know the obvious stuff like making sure all faces, ports, etc are taped or plugged, but is there anything else you would suggest? Mainly things in their process that would wreck my parts...

I looked at shipping costs for my parts to Pacific Northwest ZR-1 and the cheapest rate is $200.00 and it takes about 5 years to get there, so this isn't an option.

One last thing, did you remove the old emblem off the valve covers before coating and just replaced them with new ones afterwards??

Last edited by Alberta_ZR1; 08-06-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Alberta_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #28
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_ZR1 View Post
As a "newbie" to the ZR-1, I have a few questions about powder coating the plenum etc.

I don't have the luxury of using some of these amazing shops that have been shown on the forum, so I'm hoping to get my stuff powder coated this winter by a local shop. I have been doing some research of local shops to see who does the best work and was looking for suggestions on what all I should look for in their powder coating practice? I know the obvious stuff like making sure all faces, ports, etc are taped or plugged, but is there anything else you would suggest? Mainly things in their process that would wreck my parts...

I looked at shipping costs for my parts to Pacific Northwest ZR-1 and the cheapest rate is $200.00 and it takes about 5 years to get there, so this isn't an option.

One last thing, did you remove the old emblem off the valve covers before coating and just replaced them with new ones afterwards??
I just removed them before powder coating. I didn't ask them to powder coat in black where the emblems go but it actually looked pretty cool until I was able to hook up with the original emblems. The after market ones are ok but are still not the same. Luckily I met Luis aka "fullpwr" and he had two sets of original cam cover emblems hood emblems and gas lid emblems and he hooked me up for free.