Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-10-2014   #21
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: 1991 Zr-1 Stumbling off idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
I've been investigating this since Oct.

Marc H (an authority), says it's normal.
I like the DM approach, but I'm not sure what the OP is experiencing is that same as yours. His sounds more severe, and all the way from 1200 up to 2000 rpm...and throwing a DIS code is a "horse of a different color", i.e., not "normal".

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #22
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd101 View Post
Thank you all for all of the suggestions. May have a lead - car threw the check engine light today. Looks to be a code 16 (grounded pins a to b and counted flashes). Started with code 12 3x and then code 16 3x, then back to code 12. All I can find on this code is ignition 3 fuse circuit open. All fuses in kick panel on passenger side are good. Anyone have experience with this code?

Be sure you're on page 6E3-A-38 for code 16.
It is easy to get skewed onto a wrong page in this FSM

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #23
Dynomite

Lets just post what Code 16 is.....I do not own an FSM

And post the FIX..........as well when we are at it.....just in case I get a Code 16

What does the FSM look like? May have one and not know it......Is there one for 1990 and 1991 (are there separate FSM by year)?

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-10-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #24
XfireZ51

If you pulled the DIS connector, make sure you didn't fold a pin on the ignition module.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #25
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
If you pulled the DIS connector, make sure you didn't fold a pin on the ignition module.
That's a good point. If he pulled the plenum and disconnected the DIS connectors maybe one did not get all the way on or bent a pin. I did that once.

Last edited by scottfab; 02-10-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2014   #26
Schrade

Where is OP anyway here?

If he had folded an IgMod pin over, wouldn't that have given him a 16 light right away? He didn't have it at first...

OR... is 16 only lit up in CL?

Irrespective of the 16 code, I'm willin' to wager lunch that he has EXACTLY the same problem, that Marc ID's as a normal glitch, BASED ON HOW HE DESCRIBES THE PROBLEM:

"It idles reasonably smooth..."

"stumble [coming] off [of] idle." .............. not the first time I ever heard of sagging coming off of idle, huh Franke!!!

"It almost seems like it is choking out when you give abrupt throttle from idle up to a little over 1,200 rpm." .............. I don't like the 'abrupt' descriptor...

"Above 2k it seems like it runs ok." ...................... and what about from 1,200 - 2,000 there OP - smooth in that range too - right?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #27
Franke

Chuck,
To be honest, I think it may be a little different than your situation in that yours acts well until your slowly reach about 950 RPM if I remember right then starts RPM hunting until above about 1200 RPM or so.
What really bothers me here is he indicates a reman ECU and I've seen defective ones from the auto parts counters. I don't really believe they actually test all functions of the ECM on the simulator bench over all RPM, temp, MAP, TPS, IAT, IAC ranges etc, etc . I'd like to swap in a known good one to eliminate that possibility. I wonder if that is why the car was traded in?
Like others above stated, I think the code 16 was due in part to the plenum removal as it occurred right after that maintenance. Could even be a loose connection or dirt at the DIS.

Last edited by Franke; 02-10-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #28
scottfab

[QUOTE=Schrade;195389]Where is OP anyway here?

If he had folded an IgMod pin over, wouldn't that have given him a 16 light right away? He didn't have it at first...

OR... is 16 only lit up in CL?

...snip...
/QUOTE]

He probably is at that thing called "work"

If it were snapped all the way off sure but bent has a chance of making mechanically intermittent contact. And on that back one if the screw is not tightened who knows?
Hard to say. Results of traversing the troubleshooting tree for a #16 would seem to be prudent.

Old 02-10-2014   #29
Enginerd101

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Xfire - you were exactly right. Folded a pin on the DIS. No more check engine light.
Enginerd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #30
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd101 View Post
Xfire - you were exactly right. Folded a pin on the DIS. No more check engine light.
Good for you and excellent information to remember there XfireZ51.....appreciate that....and that applies to all plugs having multiple pins

Some plugs actually get lose also having the original plastic tabs break off that are suppose to keep the plug together.

I like it when someone (XfireZ51) NAILS IT and in one little ole sentence.......

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-10-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote