ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-05-2013   #21
KJL

Default Re: Steel IH Gaskets & Primary Port is 38mm

I guess if one has a lift and all the tools etc. pulling the motor would be such a big deal.

I read Marc's article regarding the cam work. If someone could tell me that the work could be done without pulling the brake booster I would give it more serious consideration.... I have done that on my 72 and damn near broke my neck trying to contort my body up into the under dash space. no thank you... I am to old and inflexible for that kind of work anymore, maybe 10 years ago when I did it the first time. May I will email Marc and ask him if it is possible.

I have phased cams before and cameras are relatively cheap, heck I am sure there is an ap for that!

You didn't mention header removal in you post. That cant be fun either.
1995 ZR1 #159
Ported,Corsa,4.10 Rear, Dual Disc RAM Clutch, Alum Flywheel, Haibeck Chip, ZFDoc Plates, Relocated Battery 400 rwhp
1992 ZR1 #280
Ported, Locked Secondary's, Flowmaster Exhaust, Haibeck Chip, 375rwhp
1996 Collectors LT4 (Stock)
1972 Convertible 434 Small Block
572 rwhp
KJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #22
KJL

Update:10-5-13
Finished cleaning up all the aluminum flecks everywhere. Even with masking and plastic, that stuff finds its way around. Removing the oil soaked paper towels I stuffed into to primary ports went as well as could be expected. I cleaned them out best I could with vacuum and small diameter hose, then gently lifted them out with pliers and using the vacuum to catch any fliers, then cleaned the bores with brake cleaner soaked paper towels. I am sure a few flecks of aluminum made there way into a couple of ports that happened to have a open valve.... I assume (hope) they should either vaporize or get blown out of the system. I think it would be a good idea to use to layers of protection. I found that because of the swirling of the aluminum bits, they found their way deep into the paper towel crevices and could not be all vacuumed out. Paper towel may not have been the best choice. Going to clean out the valley, re-torque crank case vent cover bolts, check secondary vacuum actuators, checked them individually using vacuum tester and they checked out OK. I am also going to test them via the on-board vacuum pump and solenoid actuation.
1995 ZR1 #159
Ported,Corsa,4.10 Rear, Dual Disc RAM Clutch, Alum Flywheel, Haibeck Chip, ZFDoc Plates, Relocated Battery 400 rwhp
1992 ZR1 #280
572 rwhp
Old 10-05-2013   #23
mike100

I'm sure I had a couple of flecks blow thru when i did mine. None got on the valve seat- that was all I was concerned about. Did mine with piston at TDC in each cylinder.

I definitely makes a mess. prep and cleaning is 30% of the job. The actual grinding was maybe 4-5 hours on mine if I recall.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #24
KJL

I am going to make one more pass and make sure the bores are as clean as possible. I never would have considered doing this if the heads had been iron. I cant imagine a few tiny flakes of aluminum could harm the valve seats or cylinder bores in any way...
1995 ZR1 #159
1992 ZR1 #280
572 rwhp
Old 10-10-2013   #25
KJL

Update:

Just finished cleaning the engine and prepping the gasket surfaces. Used an engine degreaser and simply green with water bottle sprayer and a steam cleaning machine (not necessary). Looks good. Wasn't bad to start with unlike my 96 LT4, damn, there was so much gunk on the front of that engine.... there are 4 penetrations through that front cover, water pump shaft, opti spark, crank and crack pos sensor, all leaked and all were replaced. Took a week of cleaning. tight as a drum now.

Next up, replacing all the o-rings in the fuel lines, injector housings and injectors plus the two PVC tubes that plug into the valve covers. Using kit from Jerry. I believe I am using the Viton kit. Trimming the IH and plenum housing gaskets to fit my ports. I will us the old metal IH gaskets as a template for trimming the new gaskets. I will use a high tack gasket sealant around any port that comes in contact with engine fluids. As part of the work, Jerry recommended to remove the crank case vent cover bolts one at a time, apply some 234 loctite (blue) and torque to correct spec. He suggested this should be adequate and replacement of that gasket is likely not necessary. He also recommended using oil as an o-ring assembly lubricant.
1995 ZR1 #159
1992 ZR1 #280
572 rwhp
Old 10-10-2013   #26
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

When I did my first "R&R" under the plenum, I found several bolts on the IH's, plenum, etc. to be less than recommended torque. Since then I've always used the blue Loctite on ALL such hold-down bolts** and have not had any problems with gasket leaks due to torque issues.

**RED Loctite used on the Fidanza FW and pressure plate bolts, however.

Just sayin...

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #27
KJL

Same here. Some of the bolts were just slightly more than hand tight. Going Blue on all plenum and IH bolts including the starter.
1995 ZR1 #159
1992 ZR1 #280
572 rwhp
Old 06-08-2014   #28
KJL

I cant believe it has been sense October when I started this. My travel for work has been non stop but I finally got her back together and cranked her over yesterday. She started right up and ran very smoothly. I think air was also being pulled through the IH gasket as well. Anyway, just need to finish battery relocation. I also relocated the intake temperature sensor while i was at it.
1995 ZR1 #159
1992 ZR1 #280
572 rwhp
Old 07-16-2014   #29
KJL

Finished reassembly and it starts and runs great. No more leak either. That said, while i had it apart i removed the alternator and had it checked out because I had some battery issues and NAPA said it was good. Not good. Lights pulsate just a tiny bit. Most noticeable at idle. Unplug alternator and pulsating stops...bad voltage reg.... great. Looks like another plenum removal exercise, i don't understand how this could have passed... The guy checking it didn't seem like he know was he was doing.... should have taken it elsewhere. I haven't put Marcs chip in yet, need to get the car registered and through ridiculous emissions test. I need to get some miles on the car before I bring it. Feel like I am talking to myslf here but I can't stand it when threads are started but not really completed. After I get the car registered and the new chip installed, I am going to dyno the car with both chips and see if all the porting work and Marc's chip provided any additional HP.
1995 ZR1 #159
1992 ZR1 #280
572 rwhp
Old 07-16-2014   #30
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJL View Post
Finished reassembly and it starts and runs great. No more leak either. That said, while i had it apart i removed the alternator and had it checked out because I had some battery issues and NAPA said it was good. Not good. Lights pulsate just a tiny bit. Most noticeable at idle. Unplug alternator and pulsating stops...bad voltage reg.... great. Looks like another plenum removal exercise, i don't understand how this could have passed... The guy checking it didn't seem like he know was he was doing.... should have taken it elsewhere. I haven't put Marcs chip in yet, need to get the car registered and through ridiculous emissions test. I need to get some miles on the car before I bring it. Feel like I am talking to myslf here but I can't stand it when threads are started but not really completed. After I get the car registered and the new chip installed, I am going to dyno the car with both chips and see if all the porting work and Marc's chip provided any additional HP.
Pull the air horn and the throttle body only you do not need to pull the plenum to remove the alternator
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote