ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-03-2009   #21
secondchance

Default Re: I think the price for Vettes just doubled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Ahem! As I said: I think the price for Vettes just doubled! I made the mistake (once) of selling my 69 Chevelle SS 396 for $500 to buy a station wagon POS. And, I never stopped kickin' myself for that "brain fart". It's not gonna happen this time around!

P.
I christen thee "Secondchnce II"!
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #22
tomtom72

Well Paul, I too had a brain fart....back in 85 I sold my 72 LT-1 w/ factory air.

Ya know if direct injection can yield a 300 hp six cylinder camaro motor, what would it do for a honkin' corvette V8?????

I have faith in the power train guys because they have to have some degree of "gear head" in them, no? I think that they can come up with the answer? No, make that I think that they want to come with the answer ( if they are allowed to do so ) because they like cars too...just like we like cars..I guess my jury is "still out" on the value thing. Mainly because like Frank, they will double the second I pass title to the new owner!

1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #23
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Well Paul, I too had a brain fart....back in 85 I sold my 72 LT-1 w/ factory air.

Ya know if direct injection can yield a 300 hp six cylinder camaro motor, what would it do for a honkin' corvette V8?????

I have faith in the power train guys because they have to have some degree of "gear head" in them, no? I think that they can come up with the answer? No, make that I think that they want to come with the answer ( if they are allowed to do so ) because they like cars too...just like we like cars..I guess my jury is "still out" on the value thing. Mainly because like Frank, they will double the second I pass title to the new owner!

Tom,

I worked for GM back in early 70's and had ordered a 72 ZR-1 as a company car. The zone office wouldn't drive it because it had no A/C so I had to change the order to a base 350. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

The 71 LT-1 would be my pick for a shark. Lowered compression for unleaded, but still retained the fiberoptics in the cockpit. I still think that dashboard was the best GM put in a Vette. Looked awesome at night.

Last edited by XfireZ51; 06-03-2009 at 11:39 AM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #24
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Tom,

I worked for GM back in early 70's and had ordered a 72 ZR-1 as a company car. The zone office wouldn't drive it because it had no A/C so I had to change the order to a base 350. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

The 71 LT-1 would be my pick for a shark. Lowered compression for unleaded, but still retained the fiberoptics in the cockpit. I still think that dashboard was the best GM put in a Vette. Looked awesome at night.
I agree about the fiber optics, that was waaaay cool!!!
I'm envious! Yea the ZR1 option was not for the fient of heart. That was a hard core "so you wanna road race? Well, we've got your starting point" package. No P/S, no A/C, F41, J56, 5qt baffled pan, TI ignition, radio & heater delete(?), no P/B, alumin rad, overflow tank, M22, 3.90:1 gear(?).....I think I got some of it right?

Ya wanna laugh? My 72 was eventually used for HPDE's or whatever there was back in the late 70's by it's original owner. Sooooo, when I bought it from the OO he had transplanted quite a few things from the ZR1 list into the car for his track use & the stuff was still there when I bought it. As he tracked it over a three yr period he replaced the stock 72 stuff with ZR1 parts as he either broke stuff or found the ZR1 stuff to be better for his use of the car. When I got the car it had M22, F41 & the 5qt pan and I put the A/C back in and modded the pan to accept the P/S back in the car. I didn't know any better because I didn't know anything about vettes at the time! I also had a set of "done" camel hump heads for it to go with a "done" block & reciprocating assembly from a 71 LT-1 .....I know, I know, shame on me, but I had no idea what I was doing wrong. Al hadn't invented the inter net yet! The one thing, that car was fun while I had it! Oh yea, it had dealer installed 69 side pipes too!!!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote