ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-28-2017   #231
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Just received another delivery, this time 12pt deep sockets in both 1/4" & 3/8" drive. Reason being as when I was concerned about using the SS torx bolts, especially between the runners on both sides of the plenum, if I would be able to secure them properly. I then had ordered the long extension torx kit to eliminate that problem. But now created another with the change in bolts...
I ordered both drive's in the 12pt, not being sure of the width of the shank. As I had thought the 3/8" is too wide and will not fit between those runners. The 1/4" drive fits perfect with the slightest gap between the runner and the socket. Use with a long extension carefully and you wont touch the sides of the runners.
Good quality sockets at a reasonable price, now added to the tool box....

Got a little bit excited too soon....lol I did not order the correct size socket for the plenum 12pt bolts. I should have measured the heads before ordering, not thinking that the heads (in some cases are larger than the bolt itself) The head of that bolt is a 10mm, even though the bolt is 8mm, just ordered that socket size now in 1/4" drive, so it should fit no problem!!! I still did need the sockets below, as they fit the other 12pt bolts I will be using...

all four sockets in 6mm & 8MM...

a better look, now don't have to be concerned about not using the correct socket for the 12pt bolts...

the 1/4" drive socket on the left is the one that fits perfect for those inside plenum (but wrong size) 12pt bolts if that's what you decide to use...now waiting for the 1/4" drive 10mm socket...

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 06-28-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #232
BigJohn

Are you sure you want to use them, they look like jewelry!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #233
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Are you sure you want to use them, they look like jewelry!
Lol....maybe I'll just mix & match....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-28-2017   #234
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Hi Craig,

It would a pleasure to meet you sometime in the future. I am not sure about the Gathering, but will make every effort to attend!!!

It sounds like you can take your time and look or build a house that suits your needs. Best of luck in your search...

Be safe and stay well!!!...

Thanks Tom! House hunting can be painful and building even more so, but hoping for the best without too much compromises. Take care and best wishes with this project. If I can make the Gathering it will only be Friday night to Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #235
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Thanks Tom! House hunting can be painful and building even more so, but hoping for the best without too much compromises. Take care and best wishes with this project. If I can make the Gathering it will only be Friday night to Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
I hear you there Craig, you always want to make sure you are making the right decision, especially with a house purchase.
My project is lasting longer than planned...lol especially with more than one project in the works....hoping to wrap it up soon...
I would like to make the Gathering in '18, hope it will workout that I can!!!

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 07-01-2017   #236
Roadster

Doing bits and pieces the last few days. Had my oldest grandson (13 1/2) help me out on the ZR-1 yesterday. It will be his one day, and he is willing and excited to learn. We pulled on the caps off of the coils and lubed below the tower of the coils and very lightly inside the boot with some white grease so removal will be easier in the future when needed. We also noticed that #7 coil wire did not want to "click" back onto the coil tower. Although I have spares, we did an easy fix with the pliers and squeezed the clamp on the inside of the coil boot from the outside, which resulted in a nice tight attachment. Moving on to the spark plug wire boots, we moved the paper out of the spark plug holes and shot some compressed air into them to remove any dust or debris that may have fallen in there. We also coated the inside of the boots like before and I had him install the spark plug wires onto the spark plugs so he could get a feel of them getting connected.

Also received delivery of my 10mm 12pt deep socket for the plenum 8mm bolts, with the 10mm head. It will be a breeze when installing these between the runners.

Since everything is apart, I was thinking about painting the hose clamps. But after I cleaned them, and since they are SS, I decided to leave them in their natural finish. Soaked them in a solution, and they cleaned up very well. They are USA made and I would assume that they are the original clamps. Another item checked off.

Back out to the garage for some tube painting and possibly some PCV assembly before an early 4th BBQ party later today....

wires all connected and ready to go...

the correct socket for the job...

my cleaning items for the clamps...

all SS, USA made...

looks like the part #'s and possibly the size...don't even know if these are still being made, I would imagine so, but not sure...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 07-01-2017   #237
Flyman 27

When you say that you used "white grease" on the plug wires & connections, did you mean Silicone dielectric grease or lithium White Grease?
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017   #238
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman 27 View Post
When you say that you used "white grease" on the plug wires & connections, did you mean Silicone dielectric grease or lithium White Grease?
I ended up using White Lithium Grease instead of the dielectric grease. I know the preference is the dielectric grease. No grease is touching the terminals. I just used enough to make removal very easy.

clamps for PCV valves...which are larger and different part and size #'s...

new 913 PCV valve installed...on your right in the pic, but really is on the driver's side when installed...
getting together...

lines installed...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 07-01-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2017   #239
Roadster

Was getting ready to install the plenum today, but ran into a major dilemma with the plenum itself. Either I'm getting old and can't see as well....lol but there were some spots that I noticed were not completely covered with paint.
So since it has already been cleared and since I am not going to strip it again (this year...lol), it is now in the open paint booth drying as I am trying a touch up spray procedure.
Other than that was moving right along getting everything else ready.

thought I clean up the AC while it is exposed....

nothing crazy, but better than before...

had everything wiped down and ready to go...

until I noticed this....

and this...

and this too...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 07-02-2017   #240
Roadster

Looks like I might get a pass this time....spray touch up appears to have worked. we shall see!!!

all covered now...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member