ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-06-2005   #11
tomtom72

Kevin, Thank you for your time and effort on this! I've read so much about pulling the plenum that it almost seems less daunting! I've started buying parts for under there already. Just small stuff but I think , RC if I'm correct, I'll just go on & replace all the injectors as a pre-emptive measure. I have the sort of luck that whatever I don't replace under there, will bite me soon after I close it up.

There is a guy on CF forum that says you can check the ohms on any primary by using the pins in connector A, primary injectors are all there; and the ECM 12 volt feed in connector B. I did that & got 18 ohms for the complete circuit on all the injectors. I just wish I knew if my results are valid. I figure if the injectors should be between 12 - 15 ohms, then all the wire & the pins = 3 ohms. It sounded reasonable to me but then what do I know.

I also wounder if the "limp home mode" is a myth or fact? If fact what would the car run like in that mode? If it goes lean on all cylinders so as not to go rich & ruin the cats? Just too much I don't know & what's worse I can't find anything to read to educate myself. Should have gone to GK's school before buying this car.
Anyway thank you & everyone else for the generous help & advice!
Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #12
Kevin

I'm more of a hands on guy, I'd rather yank the plenum and do it with an ohm meeter. 12.5-13 is normal for the injectors. When they start to go bad they run rich. And I'm happy to help in anyway i can.
Old 09-06-2005   #13
tomtom72

I agree with your method! The car is for sure not rich!

Besides I hate anyone I don't trust touching anything I care about. I know it's not normal but well I'm not normal. Gotta get me garage space I can work in for that, i'm trying. Just ordered some stuff for the secondary vac system & made some on line inquires about some of the other parts under there. I figure if I'm going to do it I'm renewing everything under there I can get.

Thanks again Kevin & to all Z owners who offered input to my education.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 09-06-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2005   #14
Kevin

If they get to bad then the car goes lean.
Old 09-06-2005   #15
Patton

Every time i see ECM i think Electronic Counter Measures.... I have to demilitarize my mind.
Old 09-07-2005   #16
tomtom72

I like that, Patton! Everytime I see ECM I think DTC code 666...then the LCD dash goes blank, a appears and all the lights on the DIC come on, a little door opens on the DIC where the SES light used to be and a little guy with a chute gets out & only it ain't hello & then he jumps out the window.

Any one know if the 90 ECM part number is still good. I checked a few on line chevy parts sites & found a 92-93 ECM, P/N 16163993 is still a good # & I was told it replaces the 90 ECM. Pete Bernard told me about the ECM deal.

Kevin, I'm ordering injectors also, from RC. I heard that their injectors are stainless. Just hope they answer my Q about which ones I need for 90Z.
Thanks guys!
Tom

Forgot something. Has anyone done bussiness with P & G chevy in PA? They seem to have a lot of Z parts that I need.
Thanks again,
Tom

Last edited by tomtom72; 09-07-2005 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-07-2005   #17
Jeffvette

ECM's are not swapable.... to a certain extent. You can use a 91 in a 90 as a bare minumum running system. You'll lose a couple of functions.
Old 09-07-2005   #18
Kevin

I think you can go to mid America or places like that and get a new 90 ecm.
Old 09-07-2005   #19
tomtom72

Thank you Jeffvette and Kevin for the heads up on the ECM's. The P/N for the 90 ECM that I took from the parts CD that I got from KWR doesn't come up at those GM sites. How do I know which one to get? Are there #'s on the one in my car that will help me get the correct one?

Thanks guys!
Tom
Old 09-07-2005   #20
Kevin

Call around and see who has one in stock? Try mid America, ecklers etc.